Author Topic: Multiple accounts and polls  (Read 1827 times)

Online Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Multiple accounts and polls
« on: April 09, 2014, 08:21:13 pm »
Creating a second account from the same IP address in order to swing a poll in favour of a preferred option defeats the purpose of trying to assess public opinion via online polls. One person one vote is how it should work.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Bob

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on many things
Re: Multiple accounts and polls
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 09:46:45 pm »
name and shame  >:D
Bob

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 09:56:41 pm »
Maybe there are two or three family members using the same computer? That would give the same IP address.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 11:31:59 pm »
Also it is possible given that most people do not have fixed IP addresse it is possible for two people completely independently of each other to vote, yet still have the same address.

Online Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 05:39:33 am »
This is not about members of the same family sharing the same IP address, of course that is fine. Nor is it about not having a fixed IP address.

Itís about setting up a second forum identity from the same IP address and using an existing forum ID email address, logging into the site as soon as that new account has been approved, remaining logged in for less than one minute, voting in a poll and then, immediately, logging off again.

One member one vote is the way it should work.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

John_fraser

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 12:49:58 pm »
I agree with one member one vote. I think the IP address is a red hearing as I could set up one account at home, one at work and one on my phone. The real give away is the email address - although this is easy to get round too using gmail.

Offline Nick

• Opinions on some things
    • Sports Massage
  • Expertises:
  • Soft Tissue & Sports Massage Practitioner
  • London 2012 Olympic & Paralympic Medical Team Member
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 01:57:44 pm »
I think I am one of the people you are talking about. I created a new account when my existing account failed to login so I could vote (this was not using the same email address as my original account, but a newer email - I had assumed if my original email address was not working trying to register again with the same address would not work either). Upon returning home I now can access my original account (this one) so have now deleted the new account and am back to using my normal ID.

As moderators of the forum - you did have the option not to approve the new account, but to let me know how to gain access to my original account You did not do this - you just approved the new account - so I voted.

Online Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 10:07:10 pm »
As moderators of the forum - you did have the option not to approve the new account, but to let me know how to gain access to my original account You did not do this - you just approved the new account - so I voted.

Hi Nick,

We check new accounts with a spammer detection site. This looks at email addresses, IP addresses, and user names. If they pass all three they are approved. I, personally, don't check the email address of new registrations against the email addresses of existing forum members - perhaps I should, but checking in new registrations takes a fair amount of work already. If you had used the contact form to ask for your original account to be reset that could have been done for you. The contact form is on the home page. http://www.brookmans.com/contact.php

David

Tags: