Author Topic: WANTED - mature female / neutered male guinepig(s) - happy to purchase  (Read 2954 times)

Offline hilarycarlen

• Mother Hen
  • Opinions on some things
  • The secret of life is compost.
I'm down to two elderly lady guinepigs now, and like to have three or more. 

(My thinking is, guineapigs just hate to be alone.  If I only have two and one dies, then the last one is alone and it is traumatised.  If I keep three, and one dies, the remaining two always have company still, so I have time to put things right .) 

If anyone knows of any mature lady guineapig(s) that would like to make up a bigger flock, please let me know.
I'm reluctant to add young animals to these two girls, as they are very settled.  A neutered male would be fine, but they are much too old for ardent attention, so no boars please!

They live outdoors on straw in a shed (6 foot x 4 foot so enough space for ambiling around) and have fresh food every day.
I don't handle them much, so this isn't suitable for a guineapig who is hooked on human cuddles, but I take good care of them.  I've been keeping guinepigs continuously for fifty four years.  (OMG).  I just never grew out of liking them. 

Please PM me if you have any leads.....

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Hilary, you post made me smile. especially this line.

I'm down to two elderly lady guinepigs now, and like to have three or more.   I've been keeping guinepigs continuously for fifty four years.  (OMG).  I just never grew out of liking them. 

So I tweeted on your behalf.

:)
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline saffie

• Opinions on many things
Hi

I got mine from a guinea pig rescue place in Wheathamstead/Harpenden.  Unfortunately no longer have no but sure you might be able to find on internet.

Not sure if that helps

Offline Emma

What a lovelt post! There are lots of rescues with piggies needing new homes, try a search on this website:

http://www.guineapigrehome.org.uk/gp/search_form.asp

Wood Green Animal Shelter also have lots:

http://www.woodgreen.org.uk/rehome/small_animals/filter/guinea+pig

I dont know a lot about piggies but I would have thought they're similar to rabbits and would need careful bonding, rather than putting them in together and hoping for the best that they all get on? If so i would have thought the rescues would facilitate with this, when i lost one of my bunnies he went to a rescue and they bonded him with another partner for me, so i didn't have to worry about fighting or risk them not geting on. Good luck finding another friend for your girls  :)

Offline hilarycarlen

• Mother Hen
  • The secret of life is compost.
Thank you all for your replies.  A lady in Essex (? result of David's kind tweet?) has very kindly offered me Hazel, a recently bereaved guineapig from a similar home who will be joining mine, I hope, in a week or so.  So a very happy outcome for me, and I hope them.  I will keep the other advice for future reference though.

I don't think   there is a bonding issue with guineapigs - they do establish a hierarchy (Hazel will be very welcome to take over as boss guinepig, as it was my boss guineapig who recently died and the other two have been a bit lost without her) but I've never ever had experience of female guinepigs who didn't sort this out amicably.  (Males can be another matter - especially if there are any females around).    I always watch carefully when they meet up (it's interesting) and maybe I've just always been lucky - but I have never see ill effects from adding "strangers" - they make noises for an hour or two and go round each other in circles but they've always made friends very quickly. Never a nip or a guineapig left out in the cold.  (Rabbits are very different in personality - much dodgier!  I think in nature rabbits form a more complex social group, with small family groupings whereas guineapigs do more of the herding thing...)

Offline Aqila

• Forum Member
Hi Hilary

Actually this was a friend of mine - I knew she was down to one GP and not sure what was best for it - so I sent her a link to the forum.

I hope they will all be very happy together :)

« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 10:06:31 pm by Aqila »

Tags: