Author Topic: The Hatfield / Brookmans Park area and the expansion of London's airports  (Read 3569 times)

Offline Tubbs

• Opinions on some things
The expansion of the airports around London has now returned to being a prominent news item (of course it always was important). Today we hear that Heathrow and Gatwick have been shortlisted for expansion. But whether expansion happens there, or (although currently discounted…) Stanstead, and even 'Boris’s Island', have we overlooked the local impact? Will our local area - Potters Bar, Hatfield and Brookmans Park – all suffer?

Over recent years we’ve seen a big increase in the number of passenger planes in the sky over Brookmans Park. It often looks like they are ‘stacking’; ie flying round in a slow downward spiral queue, waiting to get a place to land at one of those airports.

We are in the middle between three airports – Heathrow, Stanstead and Luton. The addition of a runway at Heathrow – to increase capacity/ no of take-offs / landings– will doubtless of itself increase the number of planes / flight paths over Brookmans Park. Also, no doubt, there will – partly as a result - be an increase in the number of flights, and stacking, for Luton, Gatwick, Stanstead and even City Airport. All of which, directly and indirectly, will surely lead to an increase in the number of planes over the area. And will the increased number of planes, and the technology developments allowing them to fly closer together, mean that those at the lowest level be closer to the ground? And, if so, will that mean that there will be an increase in aircraft noise over Brookmans Park?

And if so, how much benefit will Brookmans Park and the rest of the area get from it?

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
Re: The Hatfield / Brookmans Park area and the expansion of London's airports
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 03:31:51 pm »
Yes, aircraft do frequently pass over BP, either on approach or stacking, however I cannot say we have a problem with aircraft noise and even if there were more flights I'm not sure it would be a significant increase given the height at which they are flying.

If airport expansion is beneficial to the economy (according to some politicians) then I guess we all benefit one way or another.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Fascinating to see the flight traffic over Brookmans Park this evening. I've downloaded an app to my phone. If I point it at the horizon it shows the skyline and lets me know which planes are flying from where to where. Busy as ever. Two screen grabs from phone below.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Bob

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on many things
Thanks Dave, didn't realise it did that as well  ;D
Bob

Offline Peeplins

• Forum Member
I have this app (free version) haven't seen that is this on the paid version only?

Offline Bob

• Forum Moderator
Augmented Reality in the menu option in the app ie 3 bars top left, but I'm on the paid version
Bob

Offline Peeplins

• Forum Member
Thanks Bob, just checked mine, it's only available on the Pro version.  Cool app though, even without the bells and whistles!

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
I have the pro version because I was meeting a flight at Heathrow and wanted to be able to track in real time. It cost only £1.99 and it probably saved me more than that in not parking up too early.  :)
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Tags: