Author Topic: Protecting garden birds from disease  (Read 2304 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Protecting garden birds from disease
« on: December 13, 2013, 08:22:22 am »
For those who enjoy watching birds feeding in the garden, here is a warning about "how important it is to make sure that bird feeders and water bowls are regularly cleaned to remove stale, mouldy food and the possible build-up of diseases."

http://countrylivinged.com/animals/birdfeeders-beware
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Aqila

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
Re: Protecting garden birds from disease
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 03:47:38 pm »
Hi David

Thanks for this heads up.  Very sadly I realise that a greenfinch we had in the garden in the summer must have had this desease.  She was taking seeds from the hopper then pushing against the hopper to get  them down her throat.  She was very meek and flew down near the cats a couple of times.  I picked her up and put her back on the seed tray.  Eventually I realised she was suffering badly and took her to the vets to be put out of her misery humanely.

I wish I had known about the disease then, as I would have cleared away all the seeds that had dropped, and disinfected the hopper.  I hope no other birds were infected because of my ignorance.

PS worth knowing that the vets will normally provide this service for wild creatures free of charge.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 10:14:38 pm by Aqila »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 04:11:05 pm »
I wish I had known about the disease then, as I would have cleared away all the seeds that had dropped, and disinfected the hopper.  I hope no other birds were infected because of my ignorance.

Hi Jacqui, what disinfectant did you use? I cleared all our feeders this morning by washing them in boiling hot water but I guess a safe disinfectant would be a good idea.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Aqila

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 04:42:15 pm »
Hi David

I didn't use a disinfectant as I didn't realise she was contagious.  However I have just had a look and found this disinfectant specifically for bird tables:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Johnsons-Clean-Table-Disinfectant-Trigger/dp/B007V4WQ5K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1387038996&sr=8-2&keywords=bird+safe+disinfectant

I hope I'm not breaking the rules advertising a product here  - but if the link needs to be removed suffice to say that you can search on "Bird table disinfectant" to find it!

I'm going to order some now.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 10:13:36 pm by Aqila »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 04:56:56 pm »
Hi Jacqui,

Great, thanks for that information. I will try that. I think a disinfectant is probably a good idea if there is a risk of disease.

Thanks

David

Tags: