Author Topic: Green belt threat - Huge solar farm proposal for North Mymms Park  (Read 13694 times)

Offline epiphany

• Opinions on most things
Re: Green belt threat - Huge solar farm proposal for North Mymms Park
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2017, 12:11:29 pm »

Offline memsal9

• Opinions on some things
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2017, 04:07:23 pm »
I do sometimes think that some people are against all forms of development

Solar power has the potential to reduce emissions and our dependence on fossil fuels. It has minimal impact on the environment and decommissioning  is easy

Growing crops is harnessing the power of the sun, just in a different way.

Would you rather have a coal / oil fired power station to generate electricity instead ? Or nuclear ? I know which sort of development I'd rather have.

Our energy consumption is increasing all the time, it has to come from somewhere. We cant have our cake and eat it.

Agreed. To many short sighted NIMBY's. They'd rather have the whole place covered in golf courses rather than help us be self sufficient in our energy needs which as you say is increasing daily.

Offline epiphany

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2017, 04:27:15 pm »
How about self-sufficient in our agriculture needs?

You can't have both!

Actually, if it were Golf Course v Green Field for Housing Development or Solar Farm I would choose Golf Course in most cases.

Offline trekbat

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2017, 02:11:04 pm »
Incidentally, it seems to me that authorities are missing a trick with streetlights by not having a small solar panel on top of them (and if the light frequencies are compatible and there's no issue with reflections dazzling drivers - why not include them on the outside of the post so that they can 'recycle' light from drivers' headlights).

It may be possible to fit very small wind turbines to motorway streetlights and signage - a car whizzing past at 70 mph must be creating a wake vortex (as would larger but slower HGVs and buses), which it may be possible to harness (railways are another possibility).

Given likely future demand (and returns) for land for housing, agriculture, and other developments in renewables, the long term, commercial viability of land-based solar farms is suspect.

Technology has advanced to the extent that there are commercially available floating solar panels, and flexible rollable solar panels:

Britain's first floating solar panel project installed
"Green energy developer says new floating technology is even more lucrative than solar farms on fields"
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/energy/solarpower/11110547/Britains-first-floating-solar-panel-project-installed.html

As one UK supplier describes flexible panels: "These types of panel are useful for trekking, cycling, kayakking and climbing expeditions. Rollable and flexible panels are also useful on yachts and other boats, as they can be tied over a bimini or boom."

"cover the wattage range 5W-32W and so are are suitable for 12V battery charging"

Tags: