Author Topic: Site Entrance on A1000 just past GT Towing  (Read 5185 times)

Offline LMS

• Opinions on many things
Site Entrance on A1000 just past GT Towing
« on: August 09, 2013, 05:05:57 pm »
Does anyone from the Green Belt Society (or anyone else for that matter) know what is going on in this field - on the left as the road splits for Hatfield / South Way. There have been signs up all week, vans parked and today I noticed a large digger in the field. they are not clearing a route for construction vehicles for the Incinerator are they?

Offline EvieMay

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
Re: Site Entrance on A1000 just past GT Towing
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 05:59:46 pm »
Wouldn't it have to cross the railway line to access the site from that location though?

Offline LMS

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 06:23:10 pm »
Yes, you are right, that isn't feasible, but I just get nervous about anything happening in that area - the people behind the incinerator plan seem to disregard all planning and other regulations that the rest of us have to adhere to.
So, does anyone know what IS going on there?

Offline chicken legs

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 08:41:05 pm »
We wondered if they were investigating for gas to extract by fracking........................

Offline motherchuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 11:35:37 am »
Probably no connection but the land behind GT Towing has been found suitable for new housing in Welwyn Hatfield Council SHLAA which is part of their Core Strategy.

Their Ref. for the site is WeG4

Offline Ex Libris

• Forum Member
  • Expertises:
  • Research
  • Boules (pétanque)
  • Teaching
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 12:52:22 pm »
There's a sign at ground level at the entrance which says CML - Railway Civil Engineering Contractors.

From http://www.cml-civil-engineering.co.uk/rail-construction-maintenance.html it can be seen that the company does maintenance work for the East Coast Mainline.  This would seem to be the most likely explanation.

Offline Ex Libris

• Forum Member
  • Expertises:
  • Research
  • Boules (pétanque)
  • Teaching
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 01:02:56 pm »
Probably no connection but the land behind GT Towing has been found suitable for new housing in Welwyn Hatfield Council SHLAA which is part of their Core Strategy.

Their Ref. for the site is WeG4

WeG4 is the New Barnfield site.  A map and further comments can be found at http://consult.welhat.gov.uk/portal/planning_policy/local_plan_consultation_november_2012/lfhoua?pointId=s1349098326147#section-s1349098326147

The Conclusion states, "The landowner is in support of a proposal for a waste management facility to be developed in this location and cannot provide certainty that land will be available for housing. There is therefore considerable doubt that housing would be deliverable. Land in this location is not considered suitable to take forward."

Offline LMS

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 01:32:20 pm »
Thank you. I hadn't noticed the railway maintenance sign.

Offline motherchuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2013, 10:58:06 pm »
The New Barnfield site is WeG8. Check your link Ex and never doubt your Mother.

WeG4 is behind GT Towing.

A Planning Inspector said this site was preferable to Panshanger in 2004.

Offline EvieMay

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 04:25:37 pm »
Yes, you are right, that isn't feasible, but I just get nervous about anything happening in that area - the people behind the incinerator plan seem to disregard all planning and other regulations that the rest of us have to adhere to.

No, it was the first thing that came to my mind when I passed it too; it wasn't until I saw your post that I looked on Google Earth to assess feasibility. The incinerator proposal has got us all nervous x

Offline Tubbs

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 12:55:36 am »

Utter nonsense. One might disagree (or not isaagree) with the incinerator, and soe  of te practices of the winning contractor (Veoiia) might be considered questionable. But in essence they are (and have to) work within the framework and parameters set by their client (Herts County Council). If those are wrong (see the posts on the incinerator and the inquiry) then the County Council must explain.

Tags: