Author Topic: The 'Pavement' between Brookmans park and Welham Green  (Read 4521 times)

Offline GWTSEC

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
The 'Pavement' between Brookmans park and Welham Green
« on: July 08, 2013, 01:36:28 pm »
The pavement on Station Road between Brookmans Park and Welham Green is so overgrown in several places it is impossible for people to pass, without one of them going into the road,  and within a week or so will be impassable  for one person. It is also non negotiable for a child buggy. I reported this to HCC highways some time ago, and guess what, no response.
This is not a quiet country lane. The speed limit is 40 mph, which means a lot of traffic travelling at 60mph and over. It is a bus route and often has lorries and heavy farm vehicles on it as well. Perhaps our new county councillor can  get something done.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: The 'Pavement' between Brookmans park and Welham Green
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 02:37:18 pm »
Thanks for this. I have tweeted, copying in @Herts_Highways and @hertscc to see if they will respond. Please feel free to retweet the following.

The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Bedlam

• Opinions on many things
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 11:03:30 pm »
The pavement on Station Road between Brookmans Park and Welham Green is so overgrown in several places it is impossible for people to pass, without one of them going into the road and within a week or so will be impassable  for one person.  Perhaps our new county councillor can  get something done.

Reporting the problem on - www.fixmystreet.com -sometimes stirs the inert and flaccid  WelHat Council into action.

Offline Paul Zukowskyj

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 11:43:24 am »
Verges and footpaths, outside urban areas particularly, are a real problem, because responsibility for cutting is, in most cases, the responsibility of the County Council, but they have signed an agreement with the Borough council to actually do the majority of the work. The exceptions are where the system and equipment the Borough Council's contractors use is considered insufficiently safe for the operators. In that instance, the County Council has a separate contract. It would seem unclear what the parameters are for this difference, although major A-roads like the 414 are clearly done by County and most urban roads are done by Borough.

In this instance I'd be inclined to report it to both.

HCC's fault-reporting system appears to have crashed (although it may be my PC) at the minute, so I'd suggest calling them. 8-8 mon-fri and 9-4 sat. They may well log your call and could take up to three working days to get back to you. Have just tried to report this, and got exactly that response. Will be asking some pointed questions at the next panel on 'Customer Service, Performance and Libraries', because that's just not good enough........

Paul

Offline chicken legs

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 12:34:28 pm »
As a Councillor, Paul, do you not have the power to go into the appropriate office at County Hall and demand action on our behalf?  Or at least, make a few waves?

Offline GWTSEC

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 05:33:50 pm »
I contacted my county councillor, Mr Mills Bishop, who has promised to look into this.  All I can add is 'watch this space'.
Your intervention is welcome Paul.

Offline hilarycarlen

• Mother Hen
  • The secret of life is compost.
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 09:09:27 pm »
I have pulled nettles, cut back branches, cleared all the bits which would have impeded a buggy or tended to push joggers into the road. 

However, it's still much in need of council attention.  At least 18 inches of the original pavement has disappeared under compost and all of it needs a good scrape and flail.

Anyway, it's a bit safer now.

Offline Paul Zukowskyj

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 10:02:46 am »
I could go in and forcefully tell the officers to get on it, but all I'll do is make them want to hide next time they see me. Not sure this is the best way forward, because all they're likely to say is 'they'll pass on my concerns to the contractor'.

This is a highways issue and highways is a complete disaster zone at the minute.

I reported it on Saturday via the phone and the highways officer I eventually spoke to knew I was a councillor and would be checking back on progress. I guess we wait and see.

Regards,

Paul

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 10:11:13 am »
I have pulled nettles, cut back branches, cleared all the bits which would have impeded a buggy or tended to push joggers into the road. 

However, it's still much in need of council attention.  At least 18 inches of the original pavement has disappeared under compost and all of it needs a good scrape and flail.

Anyway, it's a bit safer now.

Well done Hilary, on behalf of all who use (try to use?) that stretch of pavement, many thanks  :)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 10:19:38 am »
Yes, well done Hilary.

The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline GWTSEC

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 11:33:43 am »
Well Done Hilary.  I hope that your efforts won't give the Council grounds to claim the pavement is OK?

Perhaps you should bill them for your time!

Offline Paul Zukowskyj

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 12:16:03 pm »
Email just received:

"This is an update to the highway fault reported on 20/07/2013 10:33 AM
The reference number is: 201005545502

Fault type: Hedge overgrown

Thank you for your report. One of our Highways Agents either has, or will be contacting you directly with further information, using the details you supplied. If you do not receive any further information please contact us again quoting your reference number, see http://www.hertsdirect.org/contact/

To view updates online go to http://www.hertsdirect.org/faultsearch/ and enter the above reference number.

Regards
Hertfordshire County Council"

I'll keep on at them if this doesn't result in further work. And yes, thanks to Hilary for just going and doing it, I also hope it doesn't mean that HCC say 'it's fine'!

Paul

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2013, 12:21:03 pm »
I'll keep on at them if this doesn't result in further work. And yes, thanks to Hilary for just going and doing it, I also hope it doesn't mean that HCC say 'it's fine'!

If they do, perhaps you could push for them to give Hilary, our own self-appointed 'mother hen' a council tax refund?

;)

Offline larrylamb

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2013, 07:35:57 pm »
On a similar note I took the hedge cutter to the overgrown bushes to the left and right of GWR as you exit onto the A1000, It was becoming increasingly dangerous as a clear view was only possible once you had edged over the stop lines into fast traffic.

I thought about contacting the authorities but calculated it would be quicker to do myself.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2013, 08:08:53 pm »
On a similar note I took the hedge cutter to the overgrown bushes to the left and right of GWR as you exit onto the A1000, It was becoming increasingly dangerous as a clear view was only possible once you had edged over the stop lines into fast traffic.

I thought about contacting the authorities but calculated it would be quicker to do myself.

Well done Larry.  Someone else who deserves a council tax rebate.

;)

Offline hilarycarlen

• Mother Hen
  • The secret of life is compost.
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2013, 10:00:17 pm »
I did consider the issue of whether doing it (badly) myself might end up with the council not bothering to do it properly, so perhaps I'd better leave it. 
But after some reflection, I decided that the logic of that reasoning led me too far in the direction of "Let's wait until there's actually a baby killed in some unspeakable buggy / car encounter..."   Having considered that possibility, I was already lost.  I had to do it.

It's a difficult call. 

Offline Paul Zukowskyj

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2013, 05:30:16 pm »
I did consider the issue of whether doing it (badly) myself might end up with the council not bothering to do it properly, so perhaps I'd better leave it. 
But after some reflection, I decided that the logic of that reasoning led me too far in the direction of "Let's wait until there's actually a baby killed in some unspeakable buggy / car encounter..."   Having considered that possibility, I was already lost.  I had to do it.

It's a difficult call.

You're absolutely right, it is a problem. I don't think as a councillor I can encourage people to go do this sort of stuff, but it's good that people do get out there and sort these issues. I'm just unhappy people feel they have to, if our council worked better, you would have the confidence that reporting a problem would result in appropriate action. It's a real sign that our system of local government is broken when people have no confidence things will get sorted in good time and feel they have no alternative to doing it themselves. We need to change that, but I'm not holding my breath.......

Tags: