Author Topic: Inappropriate adverts on this site  (Read 2696 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Inappropriate adverts on this site
« on: July 06, 2013, 10:03:27 am »
Hi all,

If anyone sees any inappropriate adverts on this site, please send me a personal message and I will try to block them.  I am talking about adverts that either offend in terms of the content or  tone and language used.  I have already blocked certain categories, but some adverts still slip through. Please don't click on them. Just let me know what they were about and I will look out for them next time, grab the url and block them.  If you can take a screen grab (Ctrl+PrtSC) that would help.

Thanks

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: Inappropriate adverts on this site
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 08:30:52 am »
I have just had to remove two adverts that were unsuitable for this site. If you find any of the Google ads offensive, please do the following:

- Please Do Not click them.
- Right click on the advert.
- Scroll down the options to 'copy link'
- Send the information you have copied to me in a personal message via this forum.
- I will then dig out the offending url (web address) and block the advert.
- But please don't click on the offending advert.

If the 'copy link' option doesn't appear it could be a flash advert. In that case, please just message me what it was about and I will try to look it up. Again, please don't click on the offending advert. I have blocked about around 30 urls and a dozen categories so far.

Thanks

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Peeplins

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 05:55:54 pm »
David,

I haven't seen any inappropriate ads, in fact mine appear to be linked to anything I have browsed recently, (which I think how google ads works, by providing targeted ads) so assume we would all see differing ads displayed.  :icon_scratch:

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 07:48:59 pm »
Hi Peeplins, they pick up on what is on the current page - so the walks pages have adverts for OS maps and boots, the history pages have adverts for history-related sites. The admin dashboard for Google Adsense let's me ban certain categories, which I have (20 so far). However, other, random adverts appear.  I then need to block those categories. The categories I blocked today include 'Get Rich Quick' and 'The Occult and the Paranormal'.  (Apologies in advance for those who might lay into me because they want to see get rich quick and occult adverts - but it appears you can't please everyone.)    ;)

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 08:24:00 pm »
I just saw a google ad for May Day Events on the farm - clicked on it (was quite safe) but it was for a farm in Shropshire.  Have absolutely no idea why that would come up as haven't searched anything similar lately.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 08:27:58 pm »
Hi Angel, would you mind going through your browsing history, grabbing the URL and sending it to me so I can block it? No real point in having ads for farms up there. Thanks David

Tags: