Author Topic: The off topic section of the forum is now closed  (Read 2574 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
The off topic section of the forum is now closed
« on: May 26, 2013, 10:07:04 pm »
Dear all,

I have decided to close the off topic section of the forum. It was taking far too much time to moderate some of the posts and deal with infringements to the forum guidelines. All previous off topic posts are still stored on the server but they are now closed for comments and not visible to the general public or forum members.

The campaigns and petitions section is still open so that people can post about campaigns with local implications.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: The off topic section of the forum is now closed
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 07:16:49 pm »
I notice that forum page views have increased since the decision was taken on May 26 to remove the off topic section. I had wondered whether focusing on local issues might lead to a decrease in traffic, but it seems not.
  • The 20 days leading up to the removal of the off topic section = 188,776 page views
  • The 20 days after the decision to remove the off topic section = 221,662 page views
So that's an increase of 32,886 forum pages viewed over the 20 days, which is an increase of 1,644 page views a day.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: The off topic section of the forum is now closed
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 06:01:05 am »
Another interesting fact is that the revenue from the Google adverts on the site (which goes to the alleviate poverty project Kiva) is up almost three fold for the same period. This could be because the adverts are automatically generated based on the words used in the posts. Perhaps discussing local issues means more locally relevant adverts. I am not sure, but it's an interesting development, too.  Which reminds me I must make some more payments to Kiva.   :)

Tags: