Author Topic: Wasp problem forecast  (Read 5589 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Wasp problem forecast
« on: July 20, 2004, 11:10:14 pm »
The council is warning that there could be loads of wasps around this summer. We've already had to deal with one nest. WHC has a page of instructions for anyone with insect problems this summer.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2004, 11:12:25 pm by admin »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Largey

• Opinions on many things
Re: Wasp problem forecast
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 01:51:05 am »
I agree that this year they are prolific. I have had to call a company out three times already this summer. At 35.00 a time, these blighters are going to have to pay somehow  >:(

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2004, 08:04:36 pm »
There seem to be loads of small wasp-like insects around. They are much thinner than a wasp, have the same colours and like flowers, particularly petunias. They seem to hover and dart when they fly. Does anyone know what they are called?
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2004, 08:07:59 pm »
Dear Dave,
Hover flies actually I believe.
As for wasps, leave em alone to eat all the old fruit and things, don't forget they are great predators on garden pests.
If troubled entice them away with some fruit where they won't be too near you.
regards,
jet

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2004, 08:12:46 pm »
Thanks Jet,

That's the one.

Cheers

Dave

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2004, 09:44:23 pm »
According to an Australian website, (click here) hover flies don't sting and are 'quite harmless'. Unlike the sod which stung my wife in the Woodman's beer garden just now. Absolutely no provocation. It just landed, stung, and flew away. I have never seen that behaviour with wasps before. I have always thought that if you don't flap they will go away. Clearly the rules of engagement are changing.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2004, 12:50:54 am »
Dear Dave,
Probably a chauvenist wasp objecting to females in male surroundings?
regards,
jet

Offline Aloo

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2004, 01:50:38 pm »
I've had four nests in the loft (and another) in the garage this summer.   I have treated the smaller (football size) ones myself.   However the biggest one in the roofspace has remained active despite two cans of wasp nest destroyer foam.     I have therefore called in a professional to sort out this nest today.

I suggest that unless you can attack with the nest entrance/exit with dust/foam you should get the professionals in.    Not because of risk of getting stung but because unless you have a lance to inject the dust it is difficult to penetrate beyond the outer layers with standard domestic foam.

Council currently has 3 week waiting time, but private contractors are available at the same price.  

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2004, 03:34:32 pm »
At the risk of being stung, just what is the problem with wasps, they live, kill pests, eat rotten fruit then die. The nest does little harm in the loft.
Seems like hysteria generated by the pest control companies to me?
regards,
jet

Offline Blue Friday

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2004, 09:03:55 pm »
Can anyone recommend a private contractor that would do the job for the same price as the council?

Offline Largey

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2004, 12:13:27 pm »
I can recommend a private company but you should send me an instant message and i'll reply with the details. This company charge around 35...  

Offline Aloo

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2004, 02:25:29 pm »
JET is half right;  earlier in the summer wasps provide a valuble service as a predator to aphids and other garden pests.    However once the workers have done their job by building the nest/feeding larva they become a nuisance;   they try to replace the sugary secretions they were receiving from the larva by going for the sweet sugary stuff people eat at parties.   We then make things worse by trying to swot the wasps away, which in turn makes them more aggressive and results in them releasing a pheromone alerting other wasps that they are under attack!      

IMHO a nest in the garden should be left alone because of the beneficial effects earlier in the year as outlined above.  However in the house nests are a problem for a toddler or a baby who may inadvertedly crawl onto the wasps, resulting in painful stings.   Hence our decision to erradicate the nests in our loft and garage.  

Offline shads

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2004, 02:23:47 pm »
i don't know what it is but both my children were stung in the garden last week by wasps,this is the first time that either of them have ever been stung before.
I could be imagining this but i sense that the wasps this year seem more aggressive than usual........could this be the case??

Tags: