Author Topic: Mimmshall Brook  (Read 20657 times)

Offline john

• Opinions on many things
Mimmshall Brook
« on: April 30, 2002, 06:23:16 pm »
I've picked up a rumour that "they" want to make a start on this (and thus cutting back/ out trees & vegetation, building concrete flood walls, steel floodgates across roads, etc etc) by the end of this year ? Anyone else heard anything at all ? or just a rumour ?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2002, 06:27:20 pm by admin »

Offline john

Re: Mimmshall Brook
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2002, 06:17:31 pm »
Well it now appears that Halcrow will arrive in Warrengate Road on Monday 13 May and start soil-testing by borehole on behalf of the Environment Agency.  They will also start plotting the location of service pipes and cables in the area.

There is a "hope" that the work will start in the Autumn, cutting the leftbank of the stream clear of necessary "obstructions, sheet-piling, concrete-ing & brickworking a "significant height wall" all along the bank, forming bunds, and installing heavy swinging flood gates to Warrengate Road.

Quite a change ("threat" ?) to this part of the Green Belt ?

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2002, 09:28:30 pm »
Thanks for the info.  I will raise this at the next meetings of the Green Belt Society and the Parish Council to see if anyone else knows anything.

Offline john

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2002, 05:45:21 pm »
In case it were to be of wider interest, the Environment Agency has provisionally planned a public meeting for the evening of Thursday 24 October to discuss this defence scheme:   at the RVC in Hawkshead Lane.   To some this may be a singularly appropriate opportunity to widen the discussion of some local issues  (like what happens to the lower end of Hawkshead Lane when flood water is diverted away from Warrengate road ...  etc etc etc ?

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2002, 07:47:33 pm »
The Environment Agency has confirmed plans for a public consultation meeting at the RVC on Thursday, October 24, to discuss the Mymmshall Brook flood alleviation scheme.  click here
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline john

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2002, 01:13:48 pm »
Re. the Environment Agency exhibition at RVC on the evening of Thursday 24 October (from 7pm), if it were to be of any interest/ help, I intend being there myself in case there are any questions about RVC I might be able to help with ... ?

regards  -  john (fisher, RVC)

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2002, 09:08:48 pm »
A brief report on the exhibition is on now on the latest news page of www.greenbeltsociety.org.uk

Offline john

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2002, 05:31:13 pm »
... and alongside the EA display, there was a collection of material about current/ planned works at RVC  -  with yours truly answering such questions as were asked, talking over issues, ... etc etc

regards  -  john f (the RVC one)

Offline john

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2003, 11:13:34 am »
Just to let you know that any tree-felling etc around the west-edge of the estate is not down to the RVC.  
The Environment Agency have served a Notice on us and others under the Water Resources Act 1991 stating that on and from 5 March, advance tree and other works are starting.  They should be completed by end-March.  This clearance is required to allow the main flood alleviation construction works to commence in April/ May 2003.  That work will be carried out by Alfred McAlpine Ltd under the supervision of Halcrow Consulting Engineers.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2004, 03:31:33 pm »
The flood alleviation work has finished. Click here for more details and you can also click here for a photo gallery. I like the warning signs they've screwed at regular intervals along the new steel and concrete wall. ;D

« Last Edit: February 26, 2004, 03:32:32 pm by admin »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline shads

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2004, 05:14:57 pm »
Reminds me of Aidan on his way home every friday night

Phil_Holm

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2004, 07:55:49 pm »
Can someone please tell me who has foot the bill for the flood defences to be constructed???

Phil

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2004, 08:00:56 pm »
Can someone please tell me who has foot the bill for the flood defences to be constructed

Hi Phil,
I am not sure if this answers your question, but the following link does explain how the Environment Agency, which was behind the work, is funded. Click here for Environment Agency 'Our Income' page.

Offline Largey

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2004, 03:41:07 pm »
I think the job is far from finished. Maybe the structure but the appearance is far from being completed. The two steel gates look horrendous and will take some getting used to. However if the whole thing prevents serious problems to the residents then its worth it. Lets hope it does its job when the next round of flooding occurs.

Offline Aidan Winwood

• Opinions on most things
  • Oh pish posh. Release the Hounds.
    • GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
  • Video Games (professionally)
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2004, 03:55:51 pm »
Thanks Shads...

However I agree, I'm going to be starting a thread on how dangerously high the kerbs appear late on a Friday night...

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2004, 06:41:19 pm »
Bob Horrocks has kindly supplied words and pictures to mark the unveiling of the Mimmshall Brook flood defences. Click here for more details.

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2004, 11:36:53 pm »
I hate to be provocative, but at 1.5m cost for 13 houses, that works out at just over 100,000 per house, which is at least the same as the increase in value each one has just had following the works. Am I being mean in thinking that perhaps each frontager should be asked to contribute towards the cost of the works by say 50% of this increase? A similar comment applies regarding the bypassing of villages, each property goes up in value dramatically after completion, all at taxpayers' expense.

Got to duck now ready for the cabbages, rotten fruit, etc

ATG
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Offline Largey

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2004, 02:18:57 am »
Alfred,

You should duck I agree.
I think negative comments about the homeowners here should be avoided. There have been catastrophic consequences there in recent years caused by the flooding. On that you cannot put a price.

John_fraser

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2004, 12:59:31 pm »
As the river drains a large area, perhaps we sall should pay which is exactly what happened.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2004, 02:14:08 pm »
These residents will have been paying a loaded insurance premium because of the risk of flooding.  They are hoping to get a reduction at renewal.  The worry they will have had does not bear thinking about.  Nice properties but would you have bought one before this work was done?

At 100,000 per house, the work was cheaper than buying up these properties and demolishing them.

Offline eric

• Opinions on some things
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2004, 12:44:17 pm »
Bob hits the nail on the head ?    -   "but would you have bought one before this work was done"
Most people since the eleventh century have known that rivers flood, and have kept away from floodplains.   For people not to take such environmental factors on board when choosing to buy property in known risk-areas (rivers, soft cliffs, hills with high exposure to wind, etc) is setting another interesting precedent where everyone else is being rallied around to help bail out those decisions.    Where does it end ?  should it end ?

Offline john

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2004, 10:55:07 am »
Having been invited to the closing ceremony, I was unable to attend due to prior diary commitments elsewhere.     A shame because it could've provided another opportunity for an answer to the question:  "if in future the distribution of flood waters will no longer incorporate the floodplain where the Warrengate Road houses are, where will this volume be diverted to ?   Immediately over Hawkshead Lane (and thus blocking it completely) ? but later as the water moves on it really won't have any greater impact on those other (unprotected ?) properties further downstream ?"

[I ask this having been hearing from friends west of London who've been caught by extra new flooding as a result of new flood defence works further upstream along the Thames (to protect parts of Maidenhead etc ... ]

Perhaps someone has some definite info on this ?

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2004, 02:37:43 pm »
The display at the RVC before work began explained that there is an existing flood plain upstream of Hawkshead Lane bridge i.e. south of the bridge.  The Environment Agency has charted the heights of the land in the area and done their computery which produced the design now built.

Flood water will spill over into the area south of the bridge and gradually move downstream through the new channel.  the modelling shows that the houses downstream will be OK.  Mind you, 'Beagle 2' should have landed OK on Mars according to the computer modelling.   We shall see

Offline john

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2004, 10:44:18 am »
Thanks Bob but a number of issues still make us slightly concerned, including:
~  what new channel ... ?
~  the creation of the floodplain pinchpoint at Hawkshead Lane ...
~  spot levels for two locations (the site for our relocated stables, and for a traffic control gate) which were above predicted flood level now seem at risk of being in or below flood level ...

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2004, 05:39:53 pm »
Oh for a crystal ball.  I just hope that when the flooding comes the computer modelling will be proved correct.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2006, 11:25:43 am »
Bob Horrocks mailed in a few pictures of the affect the heavy rain had on Mimmshall Brook last Tuesday. Thanks Bob.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2008, 09:37:07 am »
Mimmshall Brook is in full spate at the moment following the heavy rains. Usually it is a dry river bed. Here are a few snaps taken Sunday morning 13 January for those unable to get out or overseas.

Offline Gill

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2008, 06:49:18 pm »
Hi, we were interested in your pics as we had seen similar water levels but a lady walking her dog said that it had been much higher a year ago, would you have any pics from previous years?
Thanks
Gill

Offline Gill

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2008, 06:56:04 pm »
Does anyone have any photos of or know when the entrance to the Mymmshall park at the war memorial flooded, apart from the ones of October 2000 which we've seen on the website and the very recent ones.
Thanks
Gill.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2008, 01:47:32 pm »
Hi Gill,

Welcome to the forum.

Bob Horrocks has sent over some pictures from February 2006.

David

Tags: