Author Topic: Village wireless hot spot  (Read 4450 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Village wireless hot spot
« on: July 18, 2004, 01:09:07 am »
Would anyone use a wireless hotspot if one was set up on Bradmore Green? A wireless hotspot allows people with wireless cards on their PCs or laptops to surf the web and handle e-mail.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: Village wireless hot spot
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2004, 05:53:30 pm »
Some people, living or sitting round Bradmore Green, might be able to take advantage of a temporary free wireless hot spot for the next few weeks. It's only an experiement over the summer, and we are not sure of the range, but worth giving it a go if you have a wireless card. click here for more details.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Phil_Holm

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2004, 08:03:44 pm »
I will try it tonight.  I'm bring home my laptop and wireless card.  I'll let you know how I get on later.  See if it's just a case of plug and play.  Or whether I need to muck about with my settings.

It will be interesting to see how quickly we get warchalked!

Phil

Offline supersonic

• Opinions on many things
  • Yabba-dabba-doo
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2004, 01:56:02 am »

It will be interesting to see how quickly we get warchalked!

Anyone else like me curious to know about warchalking, what it is and what it means, try here http://www.computerweekly.com/Article122783.htm

supersonic
« Last Edit: July 27, 2004, 01:57:02 am by supersonic »

Phil_Holm

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2004, 02:55:11 pm »
Tried the hotspot last night at about 7pm.  Got good strength of signal sitting in my car in the layby outsite the Methi and was able to connect to the Brookmans Network.  Wasn't however able to get out on the web.  Don't know if that's my settings or not.  Shoud I be able to get on the net straight away?

Will try again when I've a bit more time to fiddle with my settings.

Phil

Phil_Holm

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2004, 05:31:51 pm »
Well I was there again this lunchtime, but still can't get out on the net.

Got connected to the BP Network OK, but despite changing numerous settings still couldn't get out.

Does anyone have any suggestions.  Are all the settings correct at the server end, to allow me access to the net?

Phil

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2004, 06:20:26 pm »
Hi Phil,

Just tested the wireless hot spot and I had the same experience as you. A good strong signal, but unable to connect to the web. I have messaged James. He will know what to do. It worked for him when he tried it.  

David

Offline Largey

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2004, 09:57:05 pm »
I am sure that James will be best positioned to help. However......
Some hints that should work in most locations -
1) Be sure to set your TCP/IP properties to "Obtain and IP address automatically" (DHCP).
2) Make sure your computer is not configured to automatically use a dial-up connection.
3) If requested, choose Infrastructure mode rather than ad-hoc mode.
4) Use the SSID name provided by the location or try choosing "any". ( If you use Net Stumbler to find available networks it should tell you the SSID of the network you want to use )
5) Turn encryption (WEP) off.
6) Make sure your battery is fully charged. Most hotspots will not have many wall plugs available for use by customers.

I'll try and have a go myself in the next day or two...

Phil_Holm

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2004, 12:01:48 pm »
Hi Paul,

Funnily enough that was pretty much our check list.  We did all of that yesterday lunchtime and still no connection.  I'm sure something at the server end that needs un-checking is checked - or vice versa.

Phil

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2004, 05:40:15 pm »
Sorry about the hot spot. We hope to have a solution in place by next week. Apologies all round.

David

Offline Largey

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2004, 07:56:58 pm »
Had a quick go at connecting. As found by others the network was found but I don't think it was allocating any dynamic ip address in order to do the rest. Worth checking the DHCP bits and bobs at the AP end..Paul

jrhutch

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2004, 06:50:28 pm »
Had a quick go at connecting. As found by others the network was found but I don't think it was allocating any dynamic ip address in order to do the rest. Worth checking the DHCP bits and bobs at the AP end..Paul

Me too; no luck reaching any internet points.  Tried all my tricks.

A big thank you, though, to the folks setting this up.  I'd definitely get a lot of usage out of a wireless connexion in BP; nice on weekends etc. to sit on the green and surf.  When sunny.

Tags: