Author Topic: Routing query  (Read 2764 times)

Offline CarolineB

• Opinions on some things
Routing query
« on: July 17, 2004, 10:58:28 pm »
Dear all technofiles,

We live in Pine Grove and have learned to live with and conquer the radio station troubles. However, recently we got AOL broadband which has to be shared between 3 computers. I would prefer a wireless router, but does anybody know whether this would work in Pine Grove? We live at the wood side, i.e. further away from the radio station, but it probably does not make much difference. Any advice and help would be very much appreciated.

Caroline
Caroline

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
Re: Routing query
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2004, 01:01:11 am »
I very much doubt whether any transmissions from the BBC site would affect wireless. In fact, most interference is caused by things like microwave ovens which use a similar frequency.

You may find you have issues sharing AOL broadband which is known to have issues with sharing which it is not designed for. I seem to recall there are problems with things like parental controls with a router. You should probably investigate this to see if it affects you before buying a router.

Offline CarolineB

• Opinions on some things
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2004, 01:12:19 am »
Thanks for your answer. Re wireless - we were unable to use wireless headphones for AV use, so I am concerned. Re parental controls - you can still use them. At present I have been exchanging the modem with one other computer, but AOL does not supply cables for a third computer. I asked them wether they could supply another cable (USB - modem to telephone outlet) but they were unwilling. A not very cued-in tech said I could not move around the modem, even though I had been doing it successfully. Anyway, moving the modem between 2 computers is one thing, but 3 becomes a hassle. Networking seems simpler, but I don't know how to do this. Using a cabled router is a bit of a problem in our house, so wireless would be easier. However, I still don't know if it would work in Pine Grove, which is fairly close to this awful transmitting station. Anybody with experience herein?
Caroline

AgentOrange

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2004, 09:46:20 am »
We use a wireless router on a BT Broadband circuit at home in Pine Grove. The interference from the transmitter does not affect the operation of the wireless system. What is more of a problem is the number of solid walls between the farthest machine and the router. Reception is possible through up to 3 block walls at a distance of 4-5 metres and through 2 walls plus the first floor, but after that there is too much signal loss.
I don't know about parental controls, but I would have thought these would be provided by either software on the home computers or on the AOL server.
Hope this helps.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2004, 02:51:29 pm »
Apparenetly AOL have changed their ADSL service slightly to enable using a router being much easier.

There are some tips at http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/faq.asp?dt=80 which might help

As Agent Orange says, you should have no problem with the BBC transmitter interfering.

The points made about walls are valid though. My wireless access point is in my loft and works fine in any room as well as the garden, just being usable at the very bottom, about 200 feet away.

I would recommend the Netgear DG834G

Tags: