General Discussion Boards > Life Hacks

PPI cold calls - how do you stop them?

(1/2) > >>

Editor:
I have had three phone calls today from people claiming to be Payment Protection Insurance advisors (PPI) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Payment_protection_insurance.  Our number is registered with the Telephone Protection Service (TPS) http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html but still the calls come through.  The first person spoke so quickly that it was impossible to catch what she was saying so I ended the call. The following calls got more and more aggressive until I just had to hang up.  Is anyone else bothered by these, and does anyone know any way to stop them?  I work from home and each one has disrupted important work I was doing.

sasquartch:
I get loads of these, both on my mobile and landline and I don't think there's much you can do to stop them, like you I am also registered with the TPS.

I think the deadline for being able to claim compensation is approaching soon so once this has passed I guess that'll be an end to the calls, at least with regard to PPI.

trekbat:
My brother says he just keeps asking inane questions until they realise he's just wasting their time or keeps the receiver on a side while they prattle on to themselves and run up their phone bill.

Or you could emulate the Polish pilots in the film Battle of Britain and keep saying: "Repeat, please".

Or practise your repertoire of fake accents (UK regional and / or foreign).

Or you could try your hand at audio sound effects (eg: coconut shell horse's hooves).

Or just a simple: 'No english".

I beginning to think these nuisance callers offer several entertainment opportunities.

Mighty Oak:
Rather than get annoyed, I now ask the caller to hang on a second, leave the phone reasonable close to the radio and carry on with what I was doing before they rang.  They don't stay on the line for very long and I can always have a chuckle thinking what they might have thought they overheard, depending on what was on the radio at the time.  I am sure the Radio 4 Afternoon Plays are a great source for some interesting conversations being 'overheard' at the other end!

Ferdie:
I'm also on TPS & still get them. I just cut them off, but very annoying getting the interruption in the first place. Even if the PPI deadline comes up, there will be something else that these people will ring up about. I have had a number about 'an accident I had recently'.... When I point out I haven't had any accident they get apologetic and say they must have got incorrect information. I just love their lines like 'We are registered with the Ministry of Justice' as if that is A) correct or B) is a load of twaddle, its irrelevant to me, I never buy from cold calls.

If I get SPAM texts I always forward to my network provider, NEVER reply 'STOP' as all that does is prove to the SPAMMER you number is 'live' and worth continuing to SPAM. Genuine non SPAM text senders will offer 'STOP' as an option and will stop sending texts. With nuisance SPAM:

O2: Forward the message to 7726, and the network will block the number or investigate it through its Nuisance Calls Bureau.
Vodafone: Send the message to 87726 for its fraud department to investigate.
T-Mobile: Forward the spam message to 7726
Orange: Forward the spam message to 7726
3: Forward the message to 37726.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version