Linked Events

• Gobions Bluebells: April 30, 2009
  • Gobions Bluebells: May 07, 2009

Author Topic: Gobions Bluebells  (Read 17301 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Gobions Bluebells
« on: April 28, 2002, 04:11:07 pm »
The Bluebells at Gobions are at their best just now. Here are three snaps for those not able to get out.  A Fujifilm MX-2900 zoom digital camera courtesy of Fujifilm was used. All images have been heavily compressed to help reduce download time.  

« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 06:29:06 am by David Brewer »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Mary_Morgan

Re: Gobions Bluebells
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2002, 09:07:45 pm »
Thanks for these.  Brilliant pics.  Sort of makes me homesick, but not too much.  Blue skies and the bright blue sea I can see from the office window has its advantages too.

Thanks again.

Mary

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 10:05:11 pm »
Angel has just mailed me a selection of photographs taken while doing the Bluebell Walk in Gobions this afternoon. All the following pictures are shared courtesy of Angel. There is another chance to do the Bluebell Walk next week on Wednesday, 17 May. The three-mile walk starts in the car park to Gobions off Moffatts Lane at 2.30 p.m. For those who can't walk that far the walk will also start at 3.00 p.m. at the Mymms Drive entrance (opposite Calder Avenue). This part is a level walk of approximately one mile in total.

Here are Angel's pictures. They might be slow to download because I didn't want to compress them too much.

Thanks Angel.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 10:06:39 pm by David Brewer »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 07:37:13 am »
There is another chance to take part in a guided walk to see the bluebells in Gobions Wood.  The walk starts in the car park off Moffats Lane at 2.30 p.m. It is about three miles in total. For those who cannot walk that far there is an alternative start at 3.00 p.m. at the Mymms Drive entrance (opposite Calder Avenue). It is a level walk of approximately one mile in total. See pictures taken last week by Angel (previous post in this thread).

David

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 08:48:28 pm »
Angel's pictures are quite lovely, thanks for sharing them!

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 10:42:13 am »
It's bluebell time in Gobions. Here are a few pictures taken on the morning of Sunday 27 April between 0930 and 1000. (Again, especially for our ex-pat chums in the Middle East, Australia, New Zealand, North America, Eire and Northern Cyprus. The first two are panorama pics to try to show just how many there are. (By the way, if the couple who were picking them this morning read this, please consider leaving them for others to enjoy next time). Thanks, David

« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 02:39:00 pm by David Brewer »

Offline stevea

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 11:11:59 am »
Thanks for the great photos David.  They're really appreciated. Makes a change from the gum trees!
 :)

Offline Abbot

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 06:45:04 pm »
Thanks for getting the family out for an afternoon stroll.

Offline Dubhagan

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 08:34:23 pm »
Back home in Scotland we bairns were warned never ever to pick bluebells and bring them in the house or we would have very very bad luck, so there.
Dubhagan.

Offline Mary_Morgan

• statio bene fide carinis
  • Expertises:
  • Gin & Tonic
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 09:07:43 pm »
Thanks Dave.  Makes me a bit homesick.   Never get that beauty with a sand dune and a palm tree.      Then I think again - petrol price, food price and no income tax, no VAT (yet - we are thinking about that) and the homesick is not quite so bad :-)

LongTallSally

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 12:28:33 pm »
Had a great walk yesterday to see them.

And to the inconsiderate people seen picking them...please stop!

You probably try and justify your actions by convincing yourself there are plenty and you're only taking a few; however, it everyone had your attitude soon the woods would be stripped clear and no one would  be able to enjoy them.

Offline NZer

• Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 05:34:32 am »
Thanks for the pictures of the bluebells in Gobians, David.  They brouhgy back lots of happy memories for me.  A pity they wont still be there in June when I'm in BP!  I get the Countryman, and the April issue had a nice picture of another wood with bluebells. 
We are just going into winter here, but we mustn't grumble as we've had a lovely sunny, very dry summer.

Offline chicken legs

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2008, 10:31:00 pm »
Thank you, David, for making us stir ourselves out of our lethargy and visit the woods yesterday.  The bluebells truly are breath-taking.

Please give us the same reminder next year.

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • BP born and bred
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2008, 07:36:23 am »
Went there on Sunday. Lovely. The smell of the flowers was beautiful. Also noted a young women with a huge handful of picked bluebells.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2009, 07:15:09 am »
Two guided walks to see the Gobions bluebells have been announced by the Herts and Middlesex Wildlife Trust.  Click here for more details.

Offline Susan

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2009, 09:16:53 am »
Good to see the walks, but how disappointing that both walks are at 2 pm. If they have to be during the week, it would be good to have a choice of times to widen the range of people who can attend.

As school pickup is at 3.15 pm, those with school-aged children (like me!) canít go.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2009, 09:34:18 am »
Good to see the walks, but how disappointing that both walks are at 2 pm. If they have to be during the week, it would be good to have a choice of times to widen the range of people who can attend.

As school pickup is at 3.15 pm, those with school-aged children (like me!) canít go.

Hi Susan,

Good point, I will talk to the warden and see if they can offer another time.

David

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2009, 11:38:04 am »
Second of the two organised bluebell walks tomorrow...

According to the voluntary warden for Gobions Woodland, 14 people turned up for the first walk. In an email to this site she wrote:

"The bluebells are superb and as a bonus we saw some of the newest residents on Gobions lake. There is another walk on Thursday at 2.00 p.m. Everyone welcome, meet at Moffatts Open Space car park and don't forget your camera."

The residents she was referring to are pictured below along with a shot she took of the bluebells.

Offline AnneK

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2009, 06:57:13 pm »
We went on the bluebell walk this afternoon and had a lovely time. Many thanks to June for taking us on such a well thought-out walk - we really enjoyed seeing the bluebells in all their glory and from the best vantage points. Thanks, too, to Angel and David for the piccies on the Forum. We forgot out camera on the walk (naturally - I'd forget my head if it wasn't firmly attached), so I'm really grateful to have something to remember it by.

Offline GWTSEC

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2011, 09:47:40 am »
This lovely warm weather has scuppered plans for this year's bluebell walks which are scheduled for Thursday 5th May at 2.00 p.m. and Sunday 7th May at 10.a.m.
Meet Car Park Gobions .
The bluebells will be at their best this week-end and next week-end and  by the time the walks take place. However they will still happen as Woodland walks.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2011, 12:08:49 pm »
The bluebells are looking good. Loads of people enjoying them today. Took some snaps for those who are unable to get out to see them.

http://www.brookmans.com/forum/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=10

If you have any pictures of the bluebells you can create your own gallery on this site and post a link to it in this thread.

David

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2011, 09:15:55 am »
This lovely warm weather has scuppered plans for this year's bluebell walks which are scheduled for Thursday 5th May at 2.00 p.m. and Sunday 7th May at 10.a.m.
Meet Car Park Gobions .
The bluebells will be at their best this week-end and next week-end and  by the time the walks take place. However they will still happen as Woodland walks.

I presume you mean Sunday 8th May and not Saturday 7th May?

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2013, 07:21:35 pm »
Just been for a walk around Gobions and noticed that the bluebells are looking good this year. Try to get out this weekend if you can before they are past their best. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera so could only take a few pictures with my phone.

Offline Mary_Morgan

• statio bene fide carinis
  • Expertises:
  • Gin & Tonic
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2013, 08:09:48 pm »
David, great pics.   Who needs a camera when a phone is good.   I won't be home in time to see them this year, but looking forward to next year.

M

Tags: