Author Topic: Plane crash?  (Read 3964 times)

Offline supersonic

• Opinions on many things
  • Yabba-dabba-doo
Plane crash?
« on: July 06, 2004, 05:00:34 pm »
I work in Welham Green. There have been loads of ambulances, fire engines etc wizzing past and we are hearing rumors that a plane has come down in the Colney Heath area. Does anyone have any news or information about this?

supersonic

Offline Susan

• Forum Member
Re: Plane crash?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2004, 05:20:22 pm »
A helicopter came down about an hour ago.

I was working on the allotment in WG, when I heard the helicopter in the distance. Its engine changed, so I looked up to see something falling from the sky beneath the helicopter. I donít know what it was, but it was large and it must have come down in a field towards Colney Heath. There had been a microlite around, but hopefully it was nothing to do with that, and was maybe something falling off the helicopter???

The helicopter continued some distance, loosing height until it came down just outside WG towards BP. Station Road between WG and BP was closed a little while ago as I came back, but I didnít stop to ask.

I hope everyoneís ok. At least the emergency services came along quickly.

John_fraser

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2004, 06:00:39 pm »
A helicopter and a light aircraft have been involved in a mid-air collision above fields in Hertfordshire.
A Hertfordshire Police spokesman said the accident took place above Welham Green just before 1300 BST on Tuesday.

Both crash landed in separate fields in the Dixons Hill Road area near Hatfield.

Full details of the accident are not yet known and it is not clear if there were any casualties. Police are asking people to avoid the area.

Police have cordoned-off the area around Dixons Hill Road, Swanlands Road and Station Road and people are being asked to avoid the area.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/beds/bucks/herts/3870629.stm

They are also saying that two people have been killed

Offline supersonic

• Yabba-dabba-doo
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2004, 06:40:34 pm »
A helicopter came down about an hour ago. †There had been a microlite around, but hopefully it was nothing to do with that, and was maybe something falling off the helicopter???

Have heard via visitors to our office they were informed the colision was between the micorolite and the helicopter that Susan mentioned.

Odd thing is that my desk is at a window that faces onto Dixons Hill Road and we didn't hear the crash at all. Only knew something was up because of the sirens on the ambulances, fire engines etc....

supersonic
« Last Edit: July 06, 2004, 07:11:22 pm by supersonic »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2004, 12:22:31 pm »
Two pff-duty police officers from the Hertfordshire force died yesterday when the microlight aircraft they were travelling in was in collision with a small helicopter over Welham Green. Investigations are continuing and police are appealing for witnesses.  Anyone who saw anything is asked to contact the police on 01707-354236. Click here for more details.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2004, 12:36:47 pm by admin »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Largey

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2005, 07:59:47 pm »
Events surrounding the trajedy over Welham Green in 2004 where a Robinson R22 Helicopter and a Microlight have been investigated and documented by the Air Accident Investigations Branch. The full report can be found here http://www.aaib.gov.uk/publications/bulletins/april_2005/robinson_r22_beta__g_lids_and_hybred_44xlr__g_mtjp.cfm . Although sometimes it is not good to bring events like these back to current topics, as a pilot myself, knowing exactly what went wrong, is beneficial. This also demonstates the efforts the AAIB put into investigating reportable incidents in aviation.
A word of warning ... Once you start reading other reports made by the AAIB on other aircraft in the UK... You may find time slipping away so keep a clock handy...

Paul

Tags: