Author Topic: North Mymms place names  (Read 6405 times)

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
North Mymms place names
« on: November 22, 2012, 02:59:14 pm »
Do you know the history behind the name of your road, your home, or any other place name in North Mymms parish?

Some are obvious, such as 'Brookmans Avenue' but others must have a history behind the name such as 'Twysdens Terrace', between Station Road and Dixons Hill Road, Welham Green.  And who was Dixon that had his own hill?  What was Station Road called before the station was buiilt in 1926?  What is the connection between 'Gresley Court' at the corner of Hawkshead Road and the A1000 and the 'Sir Nigel Gresley' steam locomotive?

I contacted the NM Local History Society and it seems that nobody has researched this aspect of our local lives.  With winter drawing on, what better way can I spend my spare time other than doing some digging into the past?  This website has a whole section of history books which will be my starting point, and the LHS is selling DVDs with lots of photos including at least one of Frowick House, which was where Frowick Close now stands.  But who was 'Mr Frowick'?  I am told that some roads are named after local residents buried in St Mary's churchyard so that will be another line of research.

If anyone has information which would help my research I would be delighted to hear from you.  The link to my email address is at the side of this entry.

Incidentally, North Mymms parish is bordered by Heath Road, Little Heath to the south, Coopers Rd, Little Heath and then approximately the A1000 to the east, the A1(M) plus North Mymms Park and some of Bullens Green to the west, and the A1001, South Way to the north.  See the enclosed map for a better idea of the boundaries shown by the pink line

Offline trekbat

• Opinions on most things
  • Forum Member
Re: North Mymms place names
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 04:35:03 pm »
The Library and Archives at Hertford may hold useful info (there is a collection of old maps in the library section). Also some parish records are lodged with the archives.

Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies (HALS)
http://www.hertsdirect.org/services/leisculture/heritage1/hals/

Also, as the area came under the District of Hatfield there may be information with the Mill Green Museum (Thursday mornings, I understand, is when the archive section is open) / WHBC Museum Service.

Mill Green Mill and Museum
http://www.welhat.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=722

Museum Service
http://www.welhat.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=721

I also seem to recall seeing something about a booklet on Hatfield street names (not sure if it was only within the town or further afield). In any case, you may want to check with the HLHS:

Hatfield Local History Society
http://www.hertsdirect.org/your-community/comvol/herit2y/hthist3y/476502

http://www.ourhatfield.org.uk/page_id__198_path__0p106p105p.aspx

There are also manorial rolls and ancient documents at Hatfield House
http://www.hatfield-house.co.uk/content.asp?id=12&Education-and-Research

Happy hunting.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 11:39:20 am »
Many thanks, Trekbat.

I know about HALS at County Hall having used them when researching for one of the parish council calendars comparing old and current pictures of the parish.  I was particularly interested in Carpenters Cottage, Bell Lane.  I could not find anyone of that name having lived there but several occupants had that trade.

HALS hold the NM Parish Council minutes from 1894/5 to 2000 which should be rewarding territory.  The Hatfield House contact is one I would never have thought of.

Offline epiphany

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 04:23:11 pm »

I know about HALS at County Hall having used them when researching for one of the parish council calendars comparing old and current pictures of the parish. 

Bob,

Earlier this year you mentioned a possible NM film location calendar, is this happening?

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 11:56:45 am »
Bob,

Earlier this year you mentioned a possible NM film location calendar, is this happening?

Sorry but it has not been a good year for me.  Might have done better living like the Rolling Stones?

The sort of pictures I thought of would have included Hatfield House. I think the Public Relations team there have had their hands full this year with the Royal Pageant organised by Lord Salisbury.  So maybe one for 2014?

By the way, the 'North Mymms Place Names' project results are intended to form a Local History Society publication, not just for my personal satisfaction.

Offline epiphany

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 03:05:22 pm »

Sorry but it has not been a good year for me.  Might have done better living like the Rolling Stones?

I am sorry to hear that, maybe you should have got yer ya ya's out more?
A calendar for next year sounds like a good idea.
Alderman Close in WG was named after Harry Maynard Alderman the local historian and councillor
so maybe there might be a Horrocks Heights or similar in the future.
Researching the origin of local place names will be a fascinating project but beware assuming
every road had a name before the modern penchant for naming everything.
Manorial records will show property as existing on the road from Water End to St Mary's Church
or similar although I have come across a Pissing Oak Hill in WG the origination of which I will
leave open to conjecture!
Post was simply delivered using the recipients name and village or town name as the postman
and everybody else all knew each other. I have a letter sent to Moffats in 1807 simply
addressed Muffets, Hatfield, Herts.
Census returns were completed similarly using hamlet and house names such as Abdale Sheepshead Hall or Hawkshead, road names were  rarely used in North Mymms.
Field names were much more prevalent with every field seemingly possesing a title.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 03:48:31 pm »
Alderman Close in WG was named after Harry Maynard Alderman the local historian and councillor
so maybe there might be a Horrocks Heights or similar in the future.
Researching the origin of local place names will be a fascinating project but beware assuming
every road had a name before the modern penchant for naming everything.
Manorial records will show property as existing on the road from Water End to St Mary's Church
or similar although I have come across a Pissing Oak Hill in WG the origination of which I will
leave open to conjecture!
Post was simply delivered using the recipients name and village or town name as the postman
and everybody else all knew each other. I have a letter sent to Moffats in 1807 simply
addressed Muffets, Hatfield, Herts.
Census returns were completed similarly using hamlet and house names such as Abdale Sheepshead Hall or Hawkshead, road names were  rarely used in North Mymms.
Field names were much more prevalent with every field seemingly possesing a title.

Horrocks Heights - I doubt it!  Long established local family names like Marlborough would be more appropriate.  The Nash family is already remembered by Nash Close, and they moved here in the 1600s to escape the Great Fire of London in 1666.  Cath and I are relatively newcomers having only lived here nearly 30 years.

I wonder what happened to Mr Alderman's records? 

The recent free checks of the 1911 Census did indeed reveal a lack of road names.

Offline epiphany

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 07:27:33 pm »

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html

Old maps site is extremely useful and HALS have now digitised the North Mimms 1844 Tithe Map along
with the awards book showing every owner and occupier of each house or field-
a veritable goldmine and well worth the 35!

http://www.hertsdirect.org/services/leisculture/heritage1/hals/hertfordshirestithemapsavailabletobuy

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 04:21:04 pm »
What was Station Road called before the station was buiilt in 1926? 

Station Road was originally called Sibthorpe Road as proved by a postcard giving that information.  It is part of the NM photos collection called 'Picture That' and on sale at the Welham Green Christmas Fair this Saturday as posted elsewhere.  The DVDs at 10 each

Offline epiphany

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 11:01:23 am »
What was Station Road called before the station was buiilt in 1926? 

Station Road was originally called Sibthorpe Road as proved by a postcard giving that information.  It is part of the NM photos collection called 'Picture That' and on sale at the Welham Green Christmas Fair this Saturday as posted elsewhere.  The DVDs at 10 each

Sorry, but I do not agree! I do not wish to be pedantic but if you are producing a publication I
think it is important to be as accurate as possible.
The two cards that you refer to are captioned Sibthorpe Road because they are a general
view only towards Sibthorpe Road proper. They were postally used in 1909 & 1917 respectively.
Sibthorpe Road was constructed in the late 1890's early 1900's on land belonging to the
Sibthorpe Arms and owned by McMullens brewers - hence the name Sibthorpe Road - they would
have been unlikely to call Sibthorpe Road that if Station Road was already so named.
If you look at any of the large scale ordnance survey maps from the 1870's onwards
Station Road is always conspicuous by it's lack of name even though virtually every other
road is named.
I can only conclude that Station Road did not have a name as such before the station was built
as there was no need - it was just up the road or down the road!
Be careful, do not just assume because it is written on a postcard it is correct.
You will notice there is a card of Dellsome Lane captioned St Albans Road because quite
correctly the road at that time did go to St Albans and was probably called that by some locals
but if once again you check the early Ordnance Survey Maps and earlier you will find it has always
been called Dellsome Lane.
Postcards at this time were being produced in huge quantities, being the equivalent of todays
ohone or text message with a card being able to be posted in the morning and delivered locally later that day and images were often taken by photographers from out of town with the same image being produced by multiple publishers.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 11:21:39 am »
Thanks for the warning.  It is wise to be pedantic when researching - take nothing for granted!

Offline speerchucker

• Opinions on some things
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 09:06:11 am »
I believe that Calder Avenue has rather rather prosaic origins with the original developer being one John Joseph Calder. Vanity, a wonderful thing  :)

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 04:27:55 pm »
Sorry to be late in giving thanks for that info.

Some names can be traced back fairly easily when you start digging but others will take quite a lot of research.. An example is Angerland Common where the Park and Ride place is on South Way.  In the porch at St Marys Chucrh there are some dark wooden boards which record the donation of some of Angerland Common to parish charities in the 1600s.  They also record the donation of land at Bayfords (?) which mght now be Barfolds, off Dixons Hill Road.

Tags: