• NM Local History Society AGM 8pm at BP URC: November 27, 2012
  • NM Local History Soc 8pm @ BP URC: December 11, 2012
  • NM LOcal History Soc 8pm @ BP URC: January 22, 2013
  • NM Local History Soc 8pm @ BP URC: February 26, 2013
  • NM Local History Soc 8pm @ BP URC: March 26, 2013
  • NM Local History Soc 8pm @ BP URC: April 23, 2013
  • NM Local History Soc 8pm @ BP URC: May 28, 2013
  • NMLHS - Talk about Childwickbury - 8pm URC: March 25, 2014
  • NMLHS - talk about Number One Market Place St Albans - 8pm URC: April 22, 2014
  • NMLHS - Images of North Mymms - 8pm URC: May 27, 2014

Author Topic: North Mymms Local History Society meetings  (Read 13067 times)

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
North Mymms Local History Society meetings
« on: November 22, 2012, 02:02:38 pm »
The North Mymms Local History Society is holding its AGM at the usual venue, being the United Reformed Church, Oaklands Ave, off Bluebridge Rd, Brookmans Park, starting at 8pm on Tuesday 27 November 2012.

the AGM will be followed by a talk on the history of paper making over 1800 years and the role of Hertfordshire paper makers.  It will be given by Nick Pearson, a career paper maker.

As well as posting this entry I am also posting on the calendar the other monthly evenings arranged until May 2013 to ensure they are visible on this website.

You may have read on page 8 of the current Chancellor's Community Newsletter that Peter Davies intends to stand down as chairman and probably as membership secretary.  When I emailed him this week on a related matter he said that nobody had come forward to stand as chairman.  There must be someone out there who could take on this role.

His article said that the society was experiencing financial problems despite good attendances at meetings, and membership numbers were down.  Worryingly, he said there was a very real possibility of closure of the society after over 30 years in existance.

There is a whole section of this website on local history thanks to the work done by this society and, as the current collection of photos (DVDs part 1 & 2 on sale by the society) shows, there is more to be done.  Let us hope that fresh blood will keep this society going for many more years.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 06:01:17 pm by David Brewer »

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
Re: North Mymms Local History Society meetings
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 12:10:33 pm »
The list of the Local History Society meetings is displayed on Parish Council notice boards.  They are all held in the United reformed Church, Oaklands Avenue, off Bluebridge Road, Brookmans Park and start at 8pm.  There is a small charge for non-members, I think.  The dates of meetings and talks are:

22 January 2013 - College of Arms

26 February - CVoffee houses, coffee shops and coffee bars

26 March - St Albans down under

23 April - BBC in wartime

28 May - the development of Potters Bar in tyhe 1930s

Offline NMLHS

• Opinions on many things
  • North Mymms Local History Society informant
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 01:18:22 pm »
It has come to my notice that the membership of the North Mymms Local History Society is waning and it has been suggested that I might try to advertise what a fun time is had by all at our meetings.

The Society meets at 8pm on the third Tuesday each month between September and May at the United Reformed Church, in Oaklands Avenue, to heartalks on a wide variety of interesting historical subjects.  Most of the talks are illustrated either with slides or more commonly these days, Powerpoint.  During the summer, when there are no meetings, visits are often arranged to various places of historical interest, sometimes linked to one or two of the talks given.  In past years we have been around London markets and churches, on some of Londonís waterways, Hampton Court and wind mills and water mills.

We are half way through the 2012/2013 programme at present but the remainder of the talks are as follows.

22nd January   John Tunes on The Royal College of Arms,
26th February   Marlene J McAndrew on Coffee Houses, Coffee Shops, Coffee Stalls and Coffee Bars,
26th March   Tony Crilly on St. Albans Down Under,
23rd April      Stephen Barnard on the BBC in Wartime,
28th May      Brian Warren and Terry Goulding on the Development of Potters Bar in the 1930ís.

Subscription is £5.50 (or £8.00 Family Membership) per year or if you only want to come and sample a talk you can come as a visitor for £1.00 per meeting.

Do come along and see and hear some interesting talks.   :D

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 03:25:23 pm »
Hi NMLHS,

Why not add those dates to the calendar so they show up. Also, please feel free to add reports on each event if you want.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 04:14:47 pm »
Hi NMLHS,

Why not add those dates to the calendar so they show up. Also, please feel free to add reports on each event if you want.

David

I did the calendar entries last November!

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 05:15:42 pm »
The North Mymms Local History Society (NMLHS) has just sent over the dates of the meetings for the 2013/2014 season. They are attached below. If you want to contact the NMLHS the following names and numbers have been sent to this site. Acting Chairman Geoff Mills 01707 657997, and/or our Treasurer, Alan Davis 01707 269587

<a href="http://www.brookmans.com/pdfs/80859NORTH%20MYMMS%20Programme%20Dates.pdf" target="_blank">http://www.brookmans.com/pdfs/80859NORTH%20MYMMS%20Programme%20Dates.pdf</a>
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Nimbus

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 08:50:26 pm »
It has come to my notice that the membership of the North Mymms Local History Society is waning and it has been suggested that I might try to advertise what a fun time is had by all at our meetings.

The Society meets at 8pm on the third Tuesday each month between September and May at the United Reformed Church, in Oaklands Avenue, to heartalks on a wide variety of interesting historical subjects. 

A group activity I take part in also meets on a Tuesday. We are dissatisfied with our accommodation, but when we go shopping for alternatives, it transpires that everything is booked up on Tuesdays. It would seem that Tuesday is a particularly popular evening of the week for meetings! So your numbers (as are ours) may be suffering due to competition from other similar attractions.

Offline NMLHS

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 10:38:21 pm »
There seems to be a slight problem with the programme of events for 2013/2014 in that some people are finding it difficult to read all of the programme.  I have discovered that the programme document is a pdf file. On the computer it should be possible to scroll around the document with the cursor kept within the actual rectangle of it to see all of the information. There are two pages, the second one is blank so, if you see a blank page you need to scroll up to the top, keeping the cursor within the rectangle.  If you right click on the document there should be an option to reduce the document to the page width, download or print it it if required.  I use an Apple Mac so I am not absolutely sure of the exact options given on a PC but they must be similar: Dave Brewer might be able to confirm this.

On iPads/Phones they seem to give only the top left hand corner of the document and wonít scroll I will need to experiment on this.

In the meantime I have reduced the document to one page which may solve the problem.

Offline NMLHS

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 11:10:20 pm »
I have just tested out the attachment to my last post and it works on my iPad.  Tap on the attachment and the PDF will open. It's best read in landscape mode.

For some reason I get a security error using Google Chrome but Safari works.  The file should open on a PC or Mac on any browser.

Offline NMLHS

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 11:15:29 pm »
Correction: it does work on Google Chrome now.  :D

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 05:59:02 am »
There seems to be a slight problem with the programme of events for 2013/2014 in that some people are finding it difficult to read all of the programme.  I have discovered that the programme document is a pdf file. On the computer it should be possible to scroll around the document with the cursor kept within the actual rectangle of it to see all of the information. There are two pages, the second one is blank so, if you see a blank page you need to scroll up to the top, keeping the cursor within the rectangle.

Hi NMLHS, the document I embedded in my post was sent to me by Pam from the North Mymms Local History Society. She asked for my help in posting the programme. Page two is blank. I tried to edit the document to put all the information on one page, but the formatting changed and it didn't work as well. 

The embedded document in the post above works for me on mac and pc. The embeds appear on iPad but you can't move them around so I usually add a link to give people another option (but forgot in the case above - sorry).

PDFs can be embedded in posts in this forum if you can 1) upload the document to a server, 2) grab the address/link and then 3) use the PDF embed button - which looks like this  - to highlight the link and save.

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2014, 06:28:36 pm »
Does anyone know the agenda for meetings this year and any other information for visitors (how much etc)?

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2014, 06:35:59 pm »
Their contact details are listed on Herts Direct here

http://www.hertsdirect.org/your-community/comvol/herit2y/hthist3y/706350

Might be worth a shot if you haven't tried already.

James
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2014, 07:34:45 pm »
Thanks James, I just thought someone here might know.

I can probably check in the library.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2014, 07:27:14 am »
Thanks James, I just thought someone here might know.

I can probably check in the library.

Hi Angel,

Most of the details you are looking for were in another thread with a similar name. I have merged them and the pdf is a few posts back in this thread now, but I am reproducing it below to save you scrolling.

<a href="http://www.brookmans.com/pdfs/80859NORTH%20MYMMS%20Programme%20Dates.pdf" target="_blank">http://www.brookmans.com/pdfs/80859NORTH%20MYMMS%20Programme%20Dates.pdf</a>

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2014, 07:38:53 am »
Thanks,

I had seen that yesterday but before that, had spent a while looking for the info.  I think the meetings used to be on the calendar but aren't now.

Sometimes, there is something of interest so good to know in advance.

:)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2014, 08:18:16 am »
Thanks,

I had seen that yesterday but before that, had spent a while looking for the info.  I think the meetings used to be on the calendar but aren't now.

Sometimes, there is something of interest so good to know in advance.

:)

Yes, often the trouble when there are two threads on the same topic. And the events used to be added to the calendar. We probably need a new system. I will add the outstanding events to the calendar now.

David

Offline NM Local History Society

• Opinions on a couple of things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2014, 04:06:32 pm »
Due to a change in speaker, you now have a chance to hear and see some really local history at the next meeting of the North Mymms Local History Society.

Mike Allen will be presenting "Images of North Mymms" at the United Reformed Church at 8pm on Tuesday 27 May.

Don't miss this one...

Visitors are welcome. The cost is £3.00 each, which includes refreshments.

Offline epiphany

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2014, 05:45:27 pm »
It's in the diary!  - thanks for flagging up.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2014, 06:01:48 pm »
It's in the diary!  - thanks for flagging up.

Thanks for the reminder, I have edited and updated the existing diary entry for the cancelled event.

Offline epiphany

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2014, 08:34:43 am »
Due to a change in speaker, you now have a chance to hear and see some really local history at the next meeting of the North Mymms Local History Society.

Mike Allen will be presenting "Images of North Mymms" at the United Reformed Church at 8pm on Tuesday 27 May.

Don't miss this one...

Visitors are welcome. The cost is £3.00 each, which includes refreshments.

Just a reminder............. Tonights the night................ :)

Offline NM Local History Society

• Opinions on a couple of things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2014, 12:45:25 pm »
The new calendar for NMLHS started on 23rd September 2014 with meetings each 4th Tuesday of the month at the URC in Brookmans Park at 8pm, the next meeting is 28th October and will be by Justin James on "Redbournbury Water Mill & Bakery.  Please contact either the Acting Chairman, Geoff Mills on 01707 657997, or Acting Treasurer Mrs Pam Davis on 01707 269587 for further information.

The November meeting on 25th November will be the AGM followed by a talk from Anne Rowe on "Secrets of Gobions Wood.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 09:14:17 pm by David Brewer »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2014, 02:24:31 pm »
Thanks for sending the agenda. I have made it into an image and attached below. David

Offline epiphany

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2014, 07:12:54 pm »
A reminder.....

If you missed Anne Rowe's excellent talk a couple of years ago on 'The lost gardens in Gobions Wood' for the Herts & Middlesex Wildlife Trust you have another chance tomorrow evening as the North Mymms Local History Society are presenting a talk 'Secrets of Gobions Wood' by Anne Rowe at the URC Brookmans Park 8pm. Admission £3.

Anne is a freelance Landscape Historian with numerous publications and her talks are incredibly informative and well researched.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2014, 08:37:42 pm »
Hi Epiphany, I've tweeted a reminder, too.

Offline epiphany

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2014, 06:24:27 pm »
Mike Allen, local historian will be presenting another of his excellent talks about North Mymms on Tuesday 9th December at 8pm. Admission £3

This is a new showing of images entitled 'More Images of North Mymms'

Sadly the NMLHS recently announced at their AGM on 25 November, that due to a lack of people willing to fill the various roles within the Society, they will no longer be able to continue after the present series of pre-booked meetings ends in May 2015.  :(

Offline epiphany

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2015, 09:40:30 am »
The North Mymms Local History Society was formed 34 years ago on the 29th September 1981 and followed on from a WEA goup that had been researching the social history of North Mymms Parish since the 18th century.

When the WEA group was closed it was felt that a local history society should be formed to carry on this work, initially with the purpose of publishing a history of the Parish and also to foster general interest in local history.

To this end, as can be witnessed by the wealth of local history material on this site, the NMLHS did a superb job for 34 years.

As mentioned in the previous post, the NMLHS has now gone the same way as the Chancellors Newsletter, primarily because of a lack of people willing to contribute their time and energy.

Ironically, membership was not the problem. Membership fees have now been refunded and the NMLHS is now itself history.

The GOOD NEWS is that the committee of the Potters Bar & District Historical Society has decided to integrate the North Mymms area (see newsletter below)

The first of the North Mymms related items will be "Snaps of North Mymms" by Mike Allen which will be at 8pm on Tuesday September 15 at the Sixty Plus Room, Wyllotts Centre, Potters Bar.
(See programme card below)

<a href="http://www.brookmans.com/pdfs/PBDHS%20Programme%20Card%202015-16-2.pdf" target="_blank">http://www.brookmans.com/pdfs/PBDHS%20Programme%20Card%202015-16-2.pdf</a>

<a href="http://www.brookmans.com/pdfs/PBDHS%20Newsletter%20September%202015.pdf" target="_blank">http://www.brookmans.com/pdfs/PBDHS%20Newsletter%20September%202015.pdf</a>

« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 07:28:02 am by Editor »

Tags: