Author Topic: Half Marathon for UNICEF  (Read 2954 times)

Offline Richard Sutton

• Richard Sutton
  • Opinions on some things
  • Geography Teacher and Photographer
    • Photo Marketplace
  • Expertises:
  • Geography Teacher
  • Photographer
  • MA Education studies
Half Marathon for UNICEF
« on: November 22, 2012, 12:27:27 pm »
Hello everyone,

As some of you might remember last year I participated in 'live below the line', raising money for the global poverty project. This year (2013) I will be 'running' (crawling might be more fitting) in the Bath Half Marathon to try and raise money for UNICEF. Fund-raising for UNICEF helps to give children throughout the world the best possible start in life - aiding them to grow up healthy, learn at school, receive protection and have their views listened to and treated fairly. UNICEF receives no funding from the UN budget and relies on voluntary contributions - such as those which supped vaccines for more then 50% of the world's children*.

So, I will be jogging in the 13 mile Bath Half Marathon on Sunday 3rd March to try and raise some money for UNICEF!!

If you can support me and donate to UNICEF via my fund-raising page I would be extremely grateful! I know that I've posted this just after Children In Need, with added Christmas pressure to donate to charities left right and centre; but honestly, every penny helps! To donate please follow the link at the bottom of the page, or, pledge an amount (say fill an empty smarties tube with loose change), which can be gift aided, and pop it to my home address with your full name, home address etc for me to put on the Sponsorship form. **

Thanks again,

Richard Sutton.

http://fundraise.unicef.org.uk/MyPage/RichardRuns

* George, S. (2012) UNICEF Events team
** Home address available on request.

Offline Richard Sutton

• Richard Sutton
    • Photo Marketplace
  • Expertises:
  • Geography Teacher
  • Photographer
  • MA Education studies
Half Marathon for UNICEF
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 12:04:56 pm »
Hello everyone!

I would like to re-voice my previous mention before Christmas about my efforts to raise money over the next few weeks for UNICEF in my taking part of the Bath Half marathon on Sunday the 3rd of March. I am now well underway in training for the 13 mile venture, but unfortunately I am seriously low on the donations front. . .

Fund-raising for UNICEF helps to give children throughout the world the best possible start in life - aiding them to grow up healthy, learn at school, receive protection and have their views listened to and treated fairly. UNICEF receives no funding from the UN budget and relies on voluntary contributions - such as those which supplied vaccines for more then 50% of the world's children.

You can support me and donate to UNICEF via my fund-raising page by following the link below. Every single penny you can give will help build up my donation, so any help you can give would be much appreciated!

Many thanks,

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
Re: Half Marathon for UNICEF
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 11:11:56 am »
Hi Richard, how are you doing with the fundraising?

Offline Richard Sutton

• Richard Sutton
    • Photo Marketplace
  • Expertises:
  • Geography Teacher
  • Photographer
  • MA Education studies
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 07:57:01 pm »
Hello,

I have raised 105 thus far with many a thanks to a few very generous families and individuals. The event is taking place one week today - hopefully it will warm up a little by then; training in snow hasn't been the greatest of motivational experiences! I've given out a number of smarties tubes for neighbours and house mates here in Bath, so hopefully they will be filled up with loose change to get me a little closer to the 350 target provided by the Bath Half fund-raising team. I will update the forum again with the grand total raised once the donation page closes on April 3rd.

Again, many thanks and a huge level of gratitude towards everyone who has donated to my page so far. You have given me the much needed motivation to get out into the snow to train over the past few weeks.

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 11:12:37 pm »
Hi Richard

How did you do in your half marathon for UNICEF? Hopefully the weather was an improvement on the conditions you were training in!

If anyone would like to donate, presumably they can still use the same link as in your first post?

Offline Richard Sutton

• Richard Sutton
    • Photo Marketplace
  • Expertises:
  • Geography Teacher
  • Photographer
  • MA Education studies
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 08:27:39 am »
Hi Mermaid,

Well I am still alive (which I feel to be a definite achievement it itself), and managed to complete my first half marathon, and without being rained on! I completed the race with a pace partner who unfortunately ended up in the green cross tend half way through the second lap; but despite this we crossed the line together in about 2:40. It was certainly a thrilling event, but I am still to make my mind up as to whether I will do it next year. . .

The link I posed earlier, which is also below, is still active and will be so until the 1st of April. It is UNICEF's own fundraising engine so all donations go directly and completely to them and their cause.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank every single Brookmans Park forum user who has and may still donate(d). You have helped a very worthy cause, and worked to motivate me at the same time; so thank you many-a-time over!

Tags: