Author Topic: Tracing your family tree  (Read 6236 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Tracing your family tree
« on: October 24, 2012, 07:39:15 am »
I have been playing around with a few online genealogy programmes during in the last few days and have found out so much about my relatives. There seems to be free sites where you can do some limited research but then it gets expensive. I am currently trying http://www.ancestry.co.uk/ with stunning results including access to handwritten census info etc.  Is there another site I should try? Experience and recommendations welcome.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
Re: Tracing your family tree
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 12:10:23 pm »
Try these:

www.findmypast.co.uk

www.genesreunited.co.uk have a special offer at the moment.  'Want to view all 1911 census transcriptions for FREE? Well, you can do just that until November 18th. The 1911 Census is a really important resource for your family history research. It's a wonderful snapshot of how your ancestors were living in Edwardian times. And the details you'll discover will help you find relatives further back in time too'.  It is only free up to a certain point in getting detail, I think. This seems to be similar to a current offer by Ancestry.co.uk

there is another which is something like www.bmd.co.uk but I cannot guarantee that address.  It is free but I forget how much detail it will giove you.

One I have not tried but have a newspaper clipping saying that the British Library is uploading 65 million newspaper articles from 1700 to 1950 online.  You can searcjh free but in ordwer to download copies you must pay 6.95 for 30 days or 79.95 for a year's subscription.

If you want a copy of a Birth, Marriage or Death certificate go to www.direct.gov.uk/gro.  You will have to quote the location which will be shown on the Ancestry.co.uk or findmypast.co.uk website.  This is usually the year, quarter, District, Volume and page.  Go straight to the Government provider otherwise you will pay an agent a fee for doing the same job.

My family is quite ordinary but I did find from the certificates that my mother's father was not all he was said to be - he was never described as a manager on any certificate.   One relative shown on the 1911 Census appears to have moved into a workhouse after his wife died when he was in his 60s.  Death certificates can be useful if your doctor asks if there is any family history of that complaint.

Good luck with your research - I found mine to be equally interested, and time consuming!

Offline Aqila

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 01:11:52 pm »
Hi David

I did this the hard way about 15 years ago, when you needed to go to the central records office (Islington) or search through Parish records!

Another site available is https://familysearch.org/search/collection/igi

I believe this was set up by the Mormons, who are very interested in researching their families for religious reasons.  They have collected a lot of parish record info as well as the more easily available, which is much harder to track down/interpret, so it is a very useful site.

Official birth/death/marriage records and census only go back to 1841.  Prior to that the parish records are the main source.

Good luck and enjoy the search - it is addictive!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 10:24:09 pm by Aqila »

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 01:59:51 pm »
I did this the hard way about 15 years ago, when you needed to go to the central records office (Islington) or search through Parish records!

Jacqui

I think it's all been moved down to Kew now.  I liked going to the place in Islington with those big books to look through
 :)

Offline chicken legs

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 03:23:28 pm »
Me too.  I still have my credit card for the copying machine.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 05:09:40 pm »
The one I am using is addictive. You put in the name and rough dates and then it offers census results, births, marriages, deaths, newspaper cuttings, military info etc. When you click it offers options to include. I clicked on one this afternoon and suddenly 150 new leads appeared.  So far most are good.

Highlights.

Gran on mother's side born in a workhouse in Liverpool and adopted.  I could have mixed race heritage which explains why I tan easily and dance okay. On dad's side the Brewers emigrated to USA to find work - now linked to a dozen trees over there. And, as I already knew, Welsh (Gallic) and Irish (Celtic) blood fairly close in the lineage, which explains at lot.

:-)

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 06:07:21 pm »
Just be grateful that your surname isn't Smith!!

My brother and his wife did ours several years ago back to 1700 and something.  It's interesting and I know they spent quite a lot of time in graveyards!!
 ::)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 06:14:22 pm »
Just be grateful that your surname isn't Smith!!

My brother and his wife did ours several years ago back to 1700 and something.  It's interesting and I know they spent quite a lot of time in graveyards!!
 ::)

I prefer the online method, especially being able to tap into someone else's research, two clicks and all that becomes part of your family tree too. Even got shipping details of arrivals and departures from Liverpool. Fantastic. And you get to keep prints of the documents.  Hours of fun.

David

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 06:23:01 pm »
It was quite a few years ago when there wasn't so much information on-line! 
(otherwise I know they would have used every research tool available)

Offline Nobby

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 06:23:43 pm »
Try this - it's free... http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl or http://www.freereg.org.uk/ for parish records

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 06:44:08 pm »
Try this - it's free... http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl or http://www.freereg.org.uk/ for parish records

Tried those for one search but they failed to come up with results and gives a page of links for places to find out more. Whereas on the family tree site it connects to all the records and weaves together the links.  They might be good for one-off searches, but perhaps not for building a family tree.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 01:44:12 pm »
Another site available is https://familysearch.org/search/collection/igi

I believe this was set up by the Mormons, who are very interested in researching their families for religious reasons. 

Www.ancestry.co.uk is, I think, registered at Utah.  Guess where the Mormons are based!

My 'family tree-hugging' started a few years ago and I looked through microfiches at County Hall.  Apparently they were the result of research by the Mormons.  While I have no connections of any sort with the Mormons I feel grateful that they have made their research available to everyone.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 03:43:33 pm »
I am getting on really well. Found out loads. Trouble is it can make you sad and pensive when you find out the circumstances fairly close relatives lived through. 

Offline Peeplins

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 11:34:05 pm »
I am getting on really well. Found out loads. Trouble is it can make you sad and pensive when you find out the circumstances fairly close relatives lived through.

Yes it can give pause for thought but also make us all realise how lucky we all are!

Offline deany70

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2012, 06:49:47 am »
Hi David

I started doing my tree over 10 years ago and it can be all time consuming and very enjoyable, its also not a cheap hobby!

Just be careful when looking at data online that you do not assume anything - get all birth, marriage and death certs from the GRO to ensure you are following the correct lines.

Google is one to try - search for the family names and you never know, you might find someone else looking for the same names, or trees already published, etc.

National Archives has an index to war medal cards and wills - deffo worth a look.

Another one I like is Curiousfox.com - you post places or people of interest and if you pay the money (currently a fiver for the year), you can contact users who have the same info in their tree.  Sign up and load all your people and you can also then wait for people to contact you.

Also rootschat.com is a great resource - there are loads of helpful people out there so if you have a brickwall to knock down, someone is usually keen to assist.

Hope these help and enjoy the jigsaw puzzle!

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2012, 11:40:11 am »
Thanks for that. I am finding the programme I am using makes excellent suggestions. For example, if I add one piece of information via the census links it offers, for example, I then find it suggests many more links. The last time I added a marriage detail to the tree another 33 leads appeared as shoots off that tree. The job them is to explore each one to make sure they are real leads and not false leads. All good fun.

Offline trekbat

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2012, 12:00:59 pm »
Both ancestry.co.uk and findmypast can be accessed free of charge at public libraries (you may be able to access them from home using your library access codes but I've not tried it so you'd need to check).

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2012, 03:59:39 pm »
Both ancestry.co.uk and findmypast can be accessed free of charge at public libraries (you may be able to access them from home using your library access codes but I've not tried it so you'd need to check).

If you become as absorbed as I have you will be camping out at the library. It's addictive.

;)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2012, 08:07:40 pm »
For all budding genealogists

I am now experimenting with the free, WikiTree system http://www.wikitree.com/ and I am extremely impressed. Unlike others who charge, this is community driven and free. Looking good.

David

Tags: