Author Topic: A pavement  (Read 1865 times)

Offline Local Walker

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
A pavement
« on: October 23, 2012, 07:22:00 pm »
I'm not sure whether to post this here or in the off-topic area as it does not concern the Brookmans Park area. I was wondering, when is it that a road should have a pavement?

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • BP born and bred
Re: A pavement
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 11:39:59 pm »
Generally, around the Village, Council adopted roads have pavements.  Brookmans Avenue which is unadopted has an unmade footpath down one side of the road. I remember when Woodlands and Shrublands were built off Calder Avenue, an unadopted road, the Council adopted these two new roads (they have pavements) and the was some discussion at the time that the Council be asked to adopt Calder Avenue as well. Most residents didn't want that as the Council insisted on a footpath being put down Calder Avenue. That would have meant owners of properties in Calder Avenue would have to 'give up' some of their land for the path in effect moving the boundary line of each property on the side where the path would be. Also, the residents of Calder Avenue would have had to pay to get the road to 'a standard acceptable' by the Council before they'd agree to adopt it. Adoption never went ahead!

I don't believe there is any legal requirement to provide pavements, although there are plenty of laws, by-laws and rules regarding pavements if they exist! I guess it depends on who owns the road, what it is used for, location, speed of traffic and where clearly there is a need for one, one is provided or pedestrians are banned.

John_fraser

Re: A pavement
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 11:52:24 am »
Around here a road is  given a pavement when drivers want somewhere else to park their cars

Tags: