Author Topic: Ticket Inspectors  (Read 13931 times)

John_fraser

Re: Ticket Inspectors
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2002, 11:12:54 pm »
Travel without a ticket is unquestionably wrong theft and WGAN has a right to protect itself against theft. But it is very easy for WAGN to claim the moral high ground when it is actually as guilty as the thieves it tries to catch. In many ways more guilty.

Start Rant

I pay twice for my travel: Once on my season ticket and once as a tax payer through subsidies. For this double payment WAGN fails to meet the minimum service levels required. Remember these service levels deliberately structured to ensure they can easily be met. Remember a train is not late until its final station and timetables have been padded to ensure this should be a doddle. Other dodges should help them hit the targets, but they canít.

True things are better than they were a year ago. But they were truly appalling last year, which does not mean they are good this year. WAGN have spent twelve months to go from crises to poor. Progress, but  not one to boast of, which they do on their web site.

My time is valuable. If I costed the time I spend on stations waiting for delayed and cancelled trains at the market rate WAGN would have to pay me to travel. It would be far to strong to accuse WAGN of theft, but the revenue WAGN lose via fair dodgers is not as high as the cost of their poor service to its passengers. WAGN should put its own house in order before swamping the line with inspectors. As JET says, they would be better employed selling tickets at the stations.

I do not support anyone stealing from WAGN just to get a free ride, but I would fully support days of protest where passengers refused to pay for or show tickets.

End Rant

Offline Alfred the Great

• Opinions on many things
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2002, 11:58:43 pm »
Well said, that man. I agree fully. Feel free to have a rant, it's interesting for the rest of us to read and makes you feel a lot better.
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Offline Gestapo

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2002, 01:44:16 am »
Dear all

I cannot understand why anyone  has a problem with the ticket inspectors.  

They are after all only doing their job and with more of them on our line now more and more people must be aware of this and this can only result in them buying more tickets. and in the long run this should benefit us all and maybe the service could improve with the extra money WAGN make or possibly the prices come down.

After speaking to them they explained that for the last five plus years no inspectors worked our line WGC - MOORGATE and therefore a lot of money had been lost. So WAGN decided to do something about this hence the depot at WGC.

They also exlpained that there is a lot of drivers being trained at the moment but this takes 9months to complete.

Anyway i've read your comments and wished to add mine.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2002, 06:09:42 pm »
I took the train to London on Tuesday morning and returned around lunchtime, on BOTH journeys my ticket was inspected.
It was the first time I'd travelled to London for some time and generally I think the service IS improving, albeit slowly. If things are to improve then clearly WAGN need to maximise its revenue - so it's in everyones interests to have ticket inspectors.

Andy_Kelly

« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2002, 12:39:40 pm »
Dear all

I cannot understand why anyone †has a problem with the ticket inspectors. †

Severe Rant Mode On

The problem goes back to the 12 months following Hatfield. The service provided by WAGN was atrocious. Commuting into London was incredibly stressful 75% of the time. WAGN's communication of information to passengers was usually non-existent resulting in thousands of incredibly irate customers.

WAGN then decided that the best thing to finish off their severely vexed customers' week was to have a gang of ticket inspectors wait for them at their home station on a Friday evening. It was as if they were taking our money under false pretences (i.e. allegedly supplying a train service) and then accuse us of stealing from them.

That was the thing that really p***ed me off. BIG TIME.

The ticket inspectors, generally, are the only WAGN representatives that you get to talk to. When you protest at the appaling service you are met with ignorance and "it's nothing to do with me". Unfortunately they are representing their faceless employers and they are the ones that have had to face our ire.

Severe Rant Mode Off

Anyway, I'm putting it all behind me now. Although the service has returned to near normal (with the occasional glitch), I've got myself a new job where I can drive to work. My company relocated to Docklands last Christmas which resulted in a minimum journey time of 90 mins each way (2 hours each way for the week or so after Potters Bar). At the end of September it will be 30 mins each way.

Bye bye WAGN and good riddance  :)

Offline Zorro

• Opinions on some things
  • oppressors tremble at my name
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2002, 02:16:47 am »
Buenos Dias Muchachos,
Santa maria eet ees cheely today no! Eef I stay mucho longer I will have to rent a hacienda as eet is very cold camping out.Looking for 20/30 rooms for servants and secret rear entrance, is so so tireeng having to uncork my own wine, must send for Sebastion and Antonio. Hola reason I write is theese railway theeng, gave it a go and noway jose wood eet take my gold pieces. Cannot understand logic why you no have theese enspectors selling teeckets. In California we use horseless carriage as it is cheep, cleen, comfortable and safe from banditos. In Espana we use a Gravy train weech you pay for he he he, I digress. Why you no get el transporto supreemo to drop yours truly a few milion pessetas and I see what I can doo, I ave mucho contacto in governmeent.Anyway have a nice treep in to town commuteers tommorrow, earn much gold to keep  me and tornado in coomfort.
Buenos Notches,
up up tornado away
Zorro Defender of the oppressed

Tags: