Author Topic: Speed humps in Mymms Drive?  (Read 13519 times)

Offline tigger

• Opinions on some things
  • Bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce
Speed humps in Mymms Drive?
« on: July 10, 2002, 01:09:26 pm »
I've heard rumours from a couple of people that the residents of Mymms Drive are planning on installing speed humps down the road. Does anyone know whether this is true or not, or have any further details?

Thanks,

Tigger
« Last Edit: July 10, 2002, 01:09:50 pm by tigger »
The wonderful thing about tiggers is that I'm the only one!

Astra

Re: Speed humps in Mymms Drive?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2002, 06:15:17 pm »
Hi

I was under the impression that no more speed humps were to be installed in this borough as they do not work.  Also the noise within the properties when a vehicle passes over them is horrendous no matter how far the house is from the road.

Also, they can only be laid on a flat surface and Mymms Drive is certainly not that.

Astra

Offline tigger

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2002, 06:51:03 pm »
Hi
Also, they can only be laid on a flat surface and Mymms Drive is certainly not that.

I wouldn't call Brookmans Avenue flat, but they've been laid there!

I don't think the fact that there's not going to be anymore laid in the borough is relevent, as it's a private road, so presumably the residents can do what they want.

Tigger

Astra

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2002, 07:01:20 pm »

Not so.  They still need planning permission and I am reliably informed that the council will not approve the 'installation' of any more humps in the borough.  Even a private road has to conform to regulations.

Astra
« Last Edit: July 10, 2002, 07:01:50 pm by Astra »

Offline Aidan Winwood

• Opinions on most things
  • Oh pish posh.  Release the Hounds.
    • GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
  • Video Games (professionally)
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2002, 08:06:55 pm »
Also it is not a private road.  It is just unsupported by the council - a kind on no mans land really.

I think Mymms is one of the slower roads in BP really - if you go over 30 you risk damage to the underneath of your car (unless you drive a 4x4 of course - in which case speed humps would not bother you either   ;))

Aidan
« Last Edit: July 10, 2002, 08:07:16 pm by Aidan_Winwood »

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2002, 08:21:59 pm »
Dear Aiden,
Like my road it feels left out as no one including the council wants to adopt it ;)
4x4s dodgy ground glad I never said it :)
regards,
jet

Offline Govvy

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2002, 08:53:35 pm »
well at the moment I think Mimms Drive does more damage to the wheels of a car. In a year it will be considered as a dirt road!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2002, 08:55:00 pm by Govvy »

Offline MC

• Opinions on many things
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2002, 02:44:00 am »
well the roads around here are a disgrace on 2 grounds.

Firstly their state is not consistent with the large sums extracted from motorists on a daily basis - people are paying for roads and not getting them. Given the potential effect of pot-holes etc and the multiple road user types our roads must be considered unsafe

Secondly - related of course - the Council/Highways people/whatever have a duty of care to maintain this infrastructure rather than just carrying out minimum cost repairs occasionally. By not fulfilling this duty of care they are destroying a publically owned asset and it will cost a lot more to correct in the long run.

As has been said by other on different threads........there is something very wrong about how this country is run. I might start a thread about this just to get some vigorous debate going. Here's a thought in the meatime though - the UK supposedly has the 4th largest economy in the world; does the status of our health service, infrastructure, crime rate, defence forces, education etc reflect this? Hmmmm, where DOESall the money go?

MC

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2002, 12:14:50 pm »
Dear Mark,
Perhaps we could start a daily comment (moan) thread about current affairs similar to the original forum which would allow us all to post our feelings on general items,
drugs, crime, education, defence, etc we could use the sun newspaper as a source of topics ;)
If you start it you know I will keep it going.
regards,
jet
Gordon  only knows where all the tax is going, big box somewhere?

Offline MC

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2002, 02:36:42 pm »
I will assemble a comprehensive set of information in due course and then post it for all to debate. Watch this space.

Tony_Collis

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2002, 03:51:39 pm »
As a resident of Mymms Drive, I am a little confused as the true situation of “Who” owns and is “Who is Responsible” for the road and for its maintenance and upkeep.

I have heard several variations to this question, but so far, never a definitive answer. Maybe the Road Committee can and infact should attempt to answer this to the satisfaction of the residents of Mymms Drive.

Each year, we are asked to pay into a road maintenance fund, so that the road surface can be maintained and upgraded every so often. That’s fine, if we own it, but if we don’t and its just done out of duty, then shouldn’t the council accept responsibility for an asset that they infact own.

In fact, if it’s just un-adopted by the council, why don’t the whole of Brookmans Park chip in to our “Road Fund”, so that they can have a real say in its maintenance and repair. This would be fair as the majority of the residents in the surrounding roads use Mymms Drive, causing wear and tear to the road surface that we have to pay to maintain.

We all pay our taxes including “Council Tax”, which should, as I understand it include repairing the roads within the council’s jurisdiction. So, why are the residence of Mymms Drive, being forced/asked to pay this additional tax?

So, back to the main issue: - Speed Humps

Why do you all think that we are considering spending our hard earned cash on speed humps?

Maybe, if we were all to reconsider how we drive around “Our Village” and stop speeding, the residents of Mymms Drive would not be forced to consider these kinds of actions to reduce the speed that some cars, lorries and school buses travel down our road.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2002, 04:57:23 pm »
Dear TC,
At the risk of seeming rude, if you bother to get involved with your road fund, attend meetings and ask your committee all will be revealed, as I am sure it was when your solicitor undertook searches for your house purchase. The price of the snob aspect of being able to say that one lives in a private road I am afraid.
regards,
jet
It is voluntary!

Tony_Collis

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2002, 05:27:50 pm »
Dear Jet,

Fair point.

Do I take it that you know it's a "Private Road" and what that really means.

I fully trust the judgements of our committee, but your answer does nothing to answer my question.

Also, by your lack of acknowledgement of the speeding problem, can I assume that you agree with speeding.

If you do agree that there is a speeding problem within the village, what do you suggest we do to resolve this problem?

Regards

TC

Offline MC

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2002, 06:04:18 pm »
The problem with the speeding debate is that most people do it - I believe this is a statistically valid remark based on something I read recently - but people only protest about it when it occurs outside their house.

It is therefore one of the most classic cases of Nimbyism going.

If we all took this attitude then the whole country would have a transport system (the purpose of which is....?) that was deliberately and significantly constrained in order to make it inefficient !!  And it's bad enough as things stand !!

Now that your blood is probably boiling nicely let me say that is not my intent. I don't agree with excessive speeding either but traffic calming is just such a poor solution.

There has been extensive debate about this general topic on this forum on a number of occasions. I urge you to read all that has been said in the past because it's quite interesting.

I'm not going to repeat any of that stuff again; the net was that there is not a unanimity of view by any extent.

Regards, MC

Offline tigger

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2002, 06:08:02 pm »

Why do you all think that we are considering spending our hard earned cash on speed humps?

Maybe, if we were all to reconsider how we drive around “Our Village” and stop speeding, the residents of Mymms Drive would not be forced to consider these kinds of actions to reduce the speed that some cars, lorries and school buses travel down our road.

TC - I'm confused. Does the above mean that the residents ARE going to be putting in speed humps down Mymms Drive? Or am I reading it wrongly?

Thanks,

Tigger

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2002, 06:13:40 pm »
Certainly on a bike, the road surface of Mymms Drive leaves a lot to be desired!

I can quite understand that the residents are not prepared to put much money into maintaining it having read TC's post however.

Does the same situation apply for the other 'private/unadopted' roads in the village - E.g Brookmans Avenue, Georges Wood etc as well? If so is it worth all those residents getting together and trying to do something about it?

Cheers,

James
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Tony_Collis

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2002, 06:41:46 pm »
Dear tigger,

Just a little confused.......... I think.

To Consider:  think over; examine; discuss.

No final answer.

I'm sure you/this forum will know as soon as the residents do!

Best regards - TC

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2002, 08:28:15 pm »
Dear TC,
I should first have said wellcome to the forum.
I think it would be best that you had a word with your commitee chairperson for full information.
As a resident of Calder who has studied the legal aspect of our private roads at some lengths I will explain the basics.
A private road is owned by an individual or consortium. They let people use it to get to there houses at no risk or payment to themselves.
The problem is with the populus of the road on the move it is impossible to get everyone together to buy the road, in most cases for a nominal £1, so to make it easy we club together to pay to maintain it for our own benifit.
Damage is mainly done by skips and builders lorries so of course the many fork out for the few.
We also have to insure ourselves against public liability as we cannot prevent others using the road.
The council does not want to adopt any private roads.
Regarding speeding I tried to start a campaign to at least make people slow down, this was received in varying ways and was abandoned for the moment.
The problem is that the speeders live here!
To those not directly involved don't bother as the logistics will do ones head in, just use them.
regards,
jet

Offline anna

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2002, 09:01:35 pm »
Firstly, Jet, I think you were a little rude to TC. Not everyone is a "commitee" person, not everyone has the time. And the whole road can't be on the commitee. It may be they don't need any new members! Second, I am getting sick and tired of hearing the word SNOB appearing all the time!!! I am sure many would agree, they would rather not live in an "unadopted road" but if that is the house you have fallen in love with, and you have worked hard to get, you have to put up with what comes with it! Its nothing to do with Snobbery!!!!

Now to the point of unadopted roads, they are nothing but problems. You pay your yearly amount which is meant to cover all sorts of different things, road upkeep, drainage problems, and gritters in the winter and more.  I don't know what other Road's charge, but where we are, the annual fee is quite reasonable and I appreciate that money doesn't go far.  However here is the problem, you have to pay for repairs, but then anyone can drive on your road, including school buses, coaches etc... If you have problem with that road.......i.e a tree falling down, the council will not come out to an unadopted Road, nor will the fire brigade.  (however it might be worth noting, that the fire brigade won't come out to move a tree blocking the road, but will come out for a cat stuck up a tree.......amazing huh!

Its a public highway but an unadopted Road. But saying all that, no doubt if the council was in charge, pavements would be put down rather than the lovely green frontage. Some might say that would be better. So there are pro's and con's I guess.  

Fact is speed bumps achieve nothing.  I've watched people speed up to go over them. And as some rightly said, in a 4 x 4 speed bumps make no difference at all.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2002, 11:33:30 pm »
To anyone interested,
There is a tremendous element of snobbery that goes with a private road untill of course one lives in one and the downside becomes apparent. It can be likened to a personal number plate ( and thats not personal its a fact or why else have one).
The  legal side of a private road should be explained fully by any reputable solicitor when making a purchase and it is up to all parties to make themselves fully informed.
As someone involved in writing on the behalf of everybody who moves in this road to that persons solicitor and who holds nearly all the legal documents involved I think I am able to give an informed opinion.
I get a bit peeved with people moaning about our road who cannot be bothered to come to yearly meetings and who bitch about the length of their frontage compared to everyone elses, yes its that sad.
To inform further the council quoted us the sum of £600 per foot of road to adopt it, it was declined.
The snob value adds in excess of £10K to the property in my humble opinion.
Dear Anna, if TC is offended I dare say TC will inform me, at least I had the courtesy to wellcome that person to the forum.
Now if anyone has got a problem with me then instant message me and discuss it in private.
I wish people would stop taking things personally, I state my personal opinion and its allways a generalisation, I do not really care what others do but I will have my say. I will try to give people the courtesy of reading their posts while attempting to listen to what they are saying without imagining what I want to read.
Extensions, Number plates, private roads, trees, skips you name it one or more of these things applies to every inmate of this village so its hardly personal is it.
Hope this clarifies and clears the air so to speak.
regards,
jet

Tony_Collis

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2002, 03:28:12 pm »
Jet

Thank you for the warm welcome yesterday.

I would like to thank you for the information that you provided within your last two postings. I'm sure it will provide everyone with a clearer understanding of the situation regarding the unadopted/private roads in the village.

Also, no offence intended and certainly, no offence taken.

Regards - TC  8)

Offline Govvy

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2002, 05:03:09 pm »
Personal, I would love to see, everyone giving the private roads back to the council. Then, you don't need to deal with it as a personal or private road.

All is then is need to be done, is have a proxy, asking for how you would like to see it maintained. This is would then allow the companies to upgrade the pipe and lines under the road. Giving access to cable, better power distribution, water, gas, ect.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2002, 06:46:47 pm »
Govvy, its not as simple as that ! As jet has pointed out the council either don't want to adopt these roads or if they do, want an exhorbitant price to do so.

John_fraser

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2002, 07:46:37 pm »
In the olden days – i.e. before 1988 – councils use to be willing to adopt roads, because back then they rates they charged were, in some part, biased upon the services they provided on the road, road cleaning etc. After the idiotic Poll Tax and the almost as bad Council Tax they have no incentive to adopt a road. They can only incur costs. Therefore they won’t adopt if at all possible. A very effective stealth tax.

There are a few advantages with a private road, but only a few and they mostly go if there is a public right of access across it - as there is with Mymms Drive. When we moved to the area we looked at a house in Calder Avenue and one in Bluebridge Road. Although not decisive, we were put off Calder Avenue because at the time the road need repair and, knowing it was private, we were not sure how much we would be expected to pay.

I think Mymms is one of the slower roads in BP really

If you hunt the thread on speeding you’ll find a comment about the excessive speed cars on exiting the A100. As I don’t live on the road I can’t really comment on the reality of this case, but this is a normal occurrence – i.e. problem - when traffic exits a 60mph A class road onto a 30mph residential one.

Tags: