Author Topic: Travelling from Brookmans park  (Read 2460 times)

Offline ken

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
Travelling from Brookmans park
« on: May 18, 2012, 04:10:01 pm »
Hello all,
I have just moved into the area, and am struggling with the fact there is no regular bus service anywhere!  How do non drivers get around? I find myself having to pay 10.20 each way to Hatfield Asdas, then getting the bus to my next destination, even before setting foot in a shop!  Does anyone else have this problem?

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
Re: Travelling from Brookmans park
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 04:25:44 pm »
I thought there was a Uno bus service that served the village - and of course there is the railway service - certainly less than 10.20 each way to Hatfield.
Sainsbury's in Potters Bar is right next to the station.
You could also do your supermarket shopping online, I think there is about a 5 delivery charge for Tesco although I might be wrong.
And of course the local shops in the village sell a lot of what you need day to day.

Offline ken

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 04:29:36 pm »
Thank you for that, however i travel with 2 young Downs syndrome adults, & am a pensioner myself, so the walk from Upland Drive into the village is a long one! we  like  to go out almost everyday, but at the moment this is costing me dear.

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 07:41:38 pm »
Hello all,
I have just moved into the area, and am struggling with the fact there is no regular bus service anywhere!  How do non drivers get around? I find myself having to pay 10.20 each way to Hatfield Asdas, then getting the bus to my next destination, even before setting foot in a shop!  Does anyone else have this problem?

Hello Ken and welcome
I don't drive anymore and tend to walk quite a bit to get around.  I have used the 610 bus sometimes but find the train a bit more reliable and more frequent when I need to use public transport.  I walk to Potters Bar quite often to go to Tesco there (and then walk back)
Obviously, it may not be os easy for all of you to get around and don't really know of any other options.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 10:31:54 pm »
Thank you for that, however i travel with 2 young Downs syndrome adults, & am a pensioner myself, so the walk from Upland Drive into the village is a long one! we  like  to go out almost everyday, but at the moment this is costing me dear.

Ken

I am also a non driver, but live in the village centre, so do have more travel options than you would

There are occasional busses which may be able to help - e.g. the 201 bus goes very close to upland drive (Great North Road) - albeit it once a day only on Tuesdays and Fridays!

See http://www.intalink.org.uk/Timetables/tt/201_C_ATG.pdf

There's another one just on Mondays to London Colney

http://www.intalink.org.uk/Timetables/tt/200_C_ATG.PDF

but generally it is obvious that the bus/train routes are going to serve the centre of the village as that is where most of the business will be I'm afraid..

It would probably be worth you contacting the local voluntary community transport organisation who would probably be able to offer some other ideas

http://www.whcvs.org.uk/our-services

James
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline ken

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 06:06:44 pm »
Hello all, thank you for your thoughts & ideas. 

Tags: