Linked Events

• Brookmans Park Village Day: June 16, 2012

Author Topic: Brookmans Park Village Day Sat 16th June  (Read 20625 times)

Offline Helen

• Opinions on many things
Brookmans Park Village Day Sat 16th June
« on: April 21, 2012, 07:33:38 pm »
Just under 2 months to go until this year's Village Day & the theme is Best of British - a right royal olympic mega-event!

As well as the perennial favourites, this year's highlights include tag laser, tug-of-war & an Olympic-sized assault course (all of which can be enjoyed by adults too...!). There will be a wide range of refreshments (including a licensed bar & traditional cream teas), pony rides, stalls & attractions & our ever-popular auction & raffle. Last year we had some wonderful prizes, ranging from a chance to meet & greet JLS to a delicious dinner party catered for you in your own home.

We are currently gathering this year's raffle & auction list & are always on the lookout for new & exciting prizes, so if you think you or anyone you know could help by donating a prize then we'd love to hear from you!

We would also be very pleased to hear from anyone who may like to be involved on the day by helping out, hiring a pitch or by sponsoring a stall or attraction. Please IM me if you’re interested or email me at villagedaycommittee[at]gmail[dot]com.

The Best of British fancy dress parade will leave the village green at 12.45pm & gates open at 1pm.

We'll have a stall at the Rotary Club's May Day celebrations on Sat 5th May if you're unable to make it to Village Day but would like to buy raffle tickets.

Helen Coffer
on behalf of 2012 Village Day

Edited to disguise email address from Spambots
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 10:59:40 pm by Helen »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: Brookmans Park Village Day Sat 16th June
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 09:01:23 pm »
The Best of British fancy dress parade will leave the village green at 12.45pm & gates open at 1pm. We'll have a stall at the Rotary Club's May Day celebrations on Sat 5th May if you're unable to make it to Village Day but would like to buy raffle tickets.

Hi Helen, please add the event to the site's calendar by clicking the link to calendar button which will help to remind people.  Thanks  David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Helen

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 11:00:17 pm »
Thanks David - I put it on the calendar a few months back but have now linked it to this post.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 05:24:00 am »
Thanks David - I put it on the calendar a few months back but have now linked it to this post.

Thanks Helen.

The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Phil_Holm

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 02:08:00 pm »
Hi Helen,

Is there an auction this year ??

And how do we buy tickets ?  I no longer have children at the school, but it's a fantastic day out.

Phil

Offline Helen

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 02:30:23 pm »
Hi Phil, there certainly is an auction this year - many of the usual suspects plus quite a few new ones! We're just finalising it now & will put a list up once we've done so.

You can pay on the gate to get in - no need to buy tickets in advance.

Funnily enough, if you're the Phil I think you are, I've just this minute been looking at photos of you last year - am trying to find some good/funny photos to put in this year's programme & you fit the bill...of course, if you'd rather I didn't, I'm always open to bribes...  ;)

Phil_Holm

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 08:44:50 am »
Yes I am that Phil  :)

And Presumably you are talking about me riding a cock horse !  Yes you go for it !

Can't wait for the Auction .

Is Nigel running it ?  I can give you his number if you like?

Phil

Offline Helen

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 12:49:08 pm »
Yes I am that Phil  :)

And Presumably you are talking about me riding a cock horse !  Yes you go for it !

Ride a cock horse photo has been duly entered - depends on whether there's room - it was a large horse  ;)

Nigel is prepped & ready for this this year so bring your wallets - it should be a good one! I'll post the draft list here soon & the auction should start around 2.30pm.

We will have a curry stall (courtesy of Bengal Paradise), a crepe stall & some of the staff from the Brookmans have very kindly offered to run our bar this year. Then of course there's our school-run BBQ so come along for a burger or hotdog served by our cheery hardworking dads!

We're just finalising the details of our Family Olympics which will run straight after the auction & should be a real hoot! Open to everyone - parents, children, grandparents, the neighbour's goldfish - we're looking to source some spacehoppers amongst other things & will then run races, including the tug-o-war. No need to book - just turn up at the allotted time!

Hope to see you all there!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 01:13:42 pm by John Fraser »

Offline mannyd

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 10:28:36 pm »
Helen

surely us mums can find enough spacehoppers between us? Our household has 3 (one normal child, one pink (guess whose?), and one for teenies).

Can I ask that at least one of the Olympic events is fair towards those parents/chidren that may be less able? Not just talking about my other half (wheelchair for anyone else reading), but there are a few children and some parents who whilst not wanting to be treated as 'special cases' would maybe not feel comfortable doing a running race for instance. Not trying to be over-PC by the way - my little-big-man gets very upset when he feels dad can't take part (it's not the same adopting someone else as your dad specifically for an event!).

Offline Helen

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 11:08:38 pm »
Hi Mannyd!

I may take you up on your spacehopper offer - you do seem to have a family of them! It's the giant 80cm adult ones that we'll find harder to borrow so we're currently looking on Amazon unless anyone has any other ideas?

Couldn't agree more about the races - obviously a good number will be out for your husband & a few of the other children & parents. However, most people should be able to take part in the egg & spoon (your children could sit on your husband's lap & operate the egg & spoon while he operates the wheelchair) &, to a certain extent, the tug-o-war. In fact, I'd want your husband on my team for that! But in all seriousness, whenever we have activities such as these, we try to design them for both the very active & the less active. If you've got any other ideas for the Family Olympics we'd love to hear them!

Offline North Mymms Youth Project

• Opinions on some things
  • North Mymms Youth Project
    • North Mymms Youth Project
  • Expertises:
  • Running activities for young people aged 9-16
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 11:12:59 pm »
Helen - the youth project have around 6 space hoppers which I think are adult size - I will check tomorrow evening and let you know.

Re: Inclusive events, have you considered some sort of throwing event? Paper plate (discus) or sticks of spaghetti (Javelin) - which could be done by anyone sitting or standing?
North Mymms Youth Project
www.nmyouth.org.uk - 01707 444420

Offline Helen

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 11:15:41 pm »
That would be fantastic - let me know what you've got! I think between us this evening we may have sourced as many as we need - thank you Brookmans Park!

Offline Peeplins

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2012, 10:42:12 pm »
28 days and counting - can't believe Village Day 2012 is almost upon us!!

And did you know that it's not only the Queen who is celebrating her Diamond Jubilee - our school was officially opened on 17 May 1952!

The 'Best of British' fancy dress parade will leave the Village Green at 12:45pm to arrive at the back gate of the school at 1pm.

This year leading the parade are the winners of our Poetry competition, who will be crowned Village Day King and Queen.

We are still gathering this year's Raffle & Auction list and are always on the lookout for new and exciting prizes, so if you think you or anyone you know could help by donating a prize then we'd love to hear from you!

Our Village Day site is now live https://sites.google.com/site/brookmanspta/village-day

As a taster of what's in store our extensive list of Raffle and Auction prizes are also listed https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0qptd4QJl9MbkNyRXJhbmRzNzA/edit?pli=1

Raffle tickets are available in advance from 'The Brookmans'

We will also be holding an on-line auction for some items which have been chosen for their high value or specific nature.  We will post a link on the forum when this goes live!

We would also be very pleased to hear from anyone who may like to be involved on the day by helping out, hiring a pitch or by sponsoring a stall or attraction.  If you are interested please e-mail us: villagedaycommittee[at]gmail[dot]com.

Come along and join us 

Offline Peeplins

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 12:04:28 am »
Well it has been a busy week and it's only Tuesday!!

Thankfully the weather has changed - keeping everything crossed it lasts!!

Our Village Day On Line Auction is now open https://sites.google.com/site/brookmanspta/village-day-online-auction  where you will find details of all the Lots currently on offer.

The Auction is hosted by Auction of Promises - Brookmans Park Village Day and you can also see and bid by following the link below

http://auctionofpromises.com/i.aspx?a=gfdddv2

The Auction will close at 10pm on Tuesday 12th June.  Happy Bidding!

Offline Helen

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2012, 09:39:33 pm »
We have had some more raffle prizes & 2 new auction items donated - a Zoom Tooth Whitening session (a 1hr...yes, 1hr!...treatment) from Brookmans Park Dental Practice & a flight for 4 people in a twin engine Baron plane donated by local pilot Mike Fitch. Thanks to both, & all the other donors, for their generosity.

More prizes to come but if you wish to see the updated list, take a look at https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0qptd4QJl9MdkhISFdpQkpMUkU/edit?pli=1. If you can't make it to Village Day but wish to buy raffle tickets they're available from the Brookmans.

Don't forget the pre-Village Day online auction that Peeplins mentioned in the previous post - url is http://sites.google.com/site/brookmanspta/village-day-online-auction. Well worth a look.

Finally, we're desperately short of crockery for the Krazy Kitchen & soft toys for the Bag A Cuddly stall - if you want to have a clear out, bring them down to the school in the run up to Village Day (green wheelie bins are located along the main gate entrance path. Remember that the school closes for half term this Wednesday & re-opens on Mon 11th June.

Thanks everyone!

Offline Peeplins

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2012, 12:13:02 am »
16 days and counting - Village Day 2012 is almost upon us - preparations being finalised and all looking forward to this year's event.

Have finally dared to check the forecast for 16 June and it's looking good!

Don't forget our on-line auction closes in 12 days - there are some fantastic items so don't forget to take a look and get your bids in early!

The Auction is hosted by Auction of Promises - Brookmans Park Village Day and you can also see and bid by following the link below

http://auctionofpromises.com/i.aspx?a=gfdddv2

Offline Helen

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2012, 07:52:48 pm »
Don't forget our on-line auction closes in 12 days - there are some fantastic items so don't forget to take a look and get your bids in early!

http://auctionofpromises.com/i.aspx?a=gfdddv2[/center]

Thanks Peeplins for the reminder! To all those who might be interested in grabbing a bargain, we've just updated the list actually - nab yourself a brand new HTC rhyme smartphone with all the trimmings, for the very reasonable starting bid of just £40! Retail price on these is around £300.

There's also an Alcotel on for £8 - a great first phone for the youngsters (or oldies!) in your house!

Samsung are also donating a Galaxy smartphone - we don't yet know if it's the Ace or the SII as they're a bit distracted at the moment with the launch of the SIII but it should be with us very soon so watch this space! I quite fancy that myself!

Please take a moment to look at the site - http://auctionofpromises.com/i.aspx?a=gfdddv2 - people have been very generous with their products & services & it would be a shame to not get at least the minimum bid on them. It's all for a good cause & with low starting bids you could pick up some real bargains.

Thank you everyone!

Offline Helen

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2012, 05:35:49 pm »
Someone has just very kindly messaged me to offer up their Jubilee bunting for our Best of British themed Village Day - thank you! If anyone else has any that they would otherwise chuck please let me know & we'll put it to good use!

Thanks.

Offline Helen

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2012, 10:44:35 pm »
**NEWS JUST IN!!!!**

We have a last minute addition to our auction list - 4 tickets to meet & greet JLS at any one of their summer shows!!

Looking at their official website, the nearest venues are Ipswich (Sun 26th Aug) or Hove (Mon 27th Aug), although there are others further afield, so why not give the kids a treat & maybe even make a weekend of it!

Come along on the day to bid - the auction starts at 2.30pm - or, if you can't make it, message me & we can bid on your behalf.

Thanks Marvin, much appreciated!  ;)

Offline Helen

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2012, 09:35:23 am »
Hi everyone, just a quick reminder that the online auction closes tomorrow, Tue 12th June, at 10pm. Last chance to grab a bargain so please take a moment to look at the link to see what's on offer.

http://auctionofpromises.com/auctionread.aspx?a=gfdddv2

Thanks!

Offline Peeplins

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2012, 10:52:12 pm »
Hi everyone, just a quick reminder that the online auction closes tomorrow, Tue 12th June, at 10pm. Last chance to grab a bargain so please take a moment to look at the link to see what's on offer.

http://auctionofpromises.com/auctionread.aspx?a=gfdddv2

Thanks!

Our on-line auction close this evening at 10pm (in just over 3hrs at time of posting).  There has been a lot of interest and bidding on the items today, so now is the time to get your bid in and secure a bargain. 

Happy bidding!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 06:46:49 pm by Peeplins »

Offline Peeplins

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2012, 06:49:31 pm »

Offline Helen

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2012, 09:03:07 pm »
To add to Peeplins post...just 1 hour to go so get your bids in! Grab half a term's singing lessons for the bargain price of £15! Still to receive bids - the Michael Jackson tribute evening, a trip to Eastbourne (Father's Day gift perhaps? ;)), beauty vouchers & electronic equipment.

Come on, let's see if we can get a bid on every item donated!

Thanks everyone!

Offline Helen

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2012, 10:11:34 pm »
Thanks everyone - together we raised £395.50 in the online auction! A great rehearsal for the live auction at Village Day itself!

Hope to see you then - rain or shine!!

Offline Peeplins

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2012, 11:58:29 pm »
Don't forget, it's Village Day tomorrow &  by all accounts we will miss the rain ...

Thanks to everyone that turned up this afternoon to help set up ... and especially to MT for the tea.

If anyone is available from 9am tomorrow morning to help with setting out the final bits .... we would love to see you.

Hoping to see you all there!

Village Day Committee

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2012, 09:59:57 am »
The Village Day weather forecast ...

Offline Helen

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2012, 10:43:07 pm »
Thank you to everyone who came to Village Day today & all those who helped (either financially or physically). David, your weather forecast was spot on & it wasn't wrong about the winds! Photos will go on here in due course...
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 11:04:03 pm by Helen »

Offline Conor

• Opinions on some things
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2012, 12:26:32 pm »
Was I alone in thinking that things seemed to be on the expensive side? Whilst I understand that the idea is to raise money for Brookmans Park School, it did appear to me that things were more expensive than you would normally expect to be at a school fete. I can't see that putting up prices is going to raise any more money - most kids are going to go with a finite amount of money and the effect of raising prices means they will just use it up quicker, not spend any more!

I am sure that the day will be a resounding financial success for Brookmans Park School once again, however it would be great to see some decision/events taken to benefit the whole village as well next year, otherwise I do feel it should be renamed Brookmans Park School Fete rather than Village Day.

Conor

Offline Helen

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2012, 06:03:01 pm »
Hi there Conor. I'm sorry you feel that way. We thought long & hard about prices this year as we decided to hire in a greater number of inflatable attractions. Even charging £2 & £2.50 for the top attractions I doubt we will even cover our hire costs (we know, from experience, that these have made losses in the past) but we felt it was worth the risk as children seem to really enjoy this sort of thing.

We did put up the price of some of the food & drink by up to 50p because either (in the case of the burgers for instance) you were getting more for your money this year (quarterpounders) but also because the cost of food & drink has gone up in general.

However, with all other school-run stalls (I obviously can't comment on the externally run stalls) we have either kept the same low prices or given the children more goes for the same price for the very reason you state - that children will come with a finite amount of money & we want them to get to do as much as possible with it. Village Day is all about the children, although we want the adults to enjoy themselves too, & that is why we tried to make the stalls, soft drinks, cakes etc as cheap as possible, whilst the beer was £2 a bottle (the same as last year by the way). We also had displays & events running throughout the day that anyone could join in for free.

Whilst Village Day is organised by the school for the benefit of the school, we too understand the significance of the name (one that has been so for 53 years I understand) so, whilst not donating profits to the village afterwards, we try very hard to involve the whole community by offering stalls, giving them publicity etc. This is especially so in our programme that we started up again last year - this takes hours & hours of my time & the time of one of the fathers who is a graphic designer & we both do it in our spare time. We do not do it as a profit making exercise, but because we want to give something back in the way of publicity to the local community who support us every year.

Village Day is our main fundraising event but we try very hard to maintain the balance between raising money for our school & giving families a fun, affordable day out. If the majority of people agree that we achieved that then we've done our job.

Helen Coffer
Village Day Chair

Offline Peeplins

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2012, 10:17:38 pm »
They say it takes fewer muscles to smile than it does to frown ... if so ... why do we frown more easily than we smile!!!

I think the same can be said about negative comments .....

Feedback is valuable, however factual specifics rather than generalised thoughts are more constructive and meaningful - I've always found.

Tags: