General Discussion Boards > Transport

Introducing 20 mph speed limits in Brookmans Park

(1/9) > >>

larrylamb:
There is growing momentum to introduce 20mph speed limits on all residential roads (Living Streets policy briefing 02/09) across all areas of the UK.

I would be interested in local views on this, personally i think it is right and proper, especially on roads without pavements.

Albert Ross:
20 mph is too slow and almost impossible to keep to in modern day cars. If you drive with due care and attention it should not be necessary to impose such a silly ilimit. If I see children or anybody that looks like a risk I slow down without being told to do so. Anyway, hardly anybody keeps to the existng limits so lowering them more would have little or no effect as it is impossible to police. It's peoples attitude that needs altering, not the speed limit!

sasquartch:

--- Quote from: larrylamb on April 19, 2012, 01:39:00 pm ---introduce 20mph speed limits on all residential roads
--- End quote ---

What's a residential road though ? The A1000 ?

It might be a good idea in some areas, perhaps near primary schools, but as Albert Ross says, difficult to enforce and impractical in many cases.

larrylamb:

--- Quote from: Albert Ross on April 19, 2012, 04:13:49 pm ---20 mph is too slow and almost impossible to keep to in modern day cars. If you drive with due care and attention it should not be necessary to impose such a silly ilimit. If I see children or anybody that looks like a risk I slow down without being told to do so. Anyway, hardly anybody keeps to the existng limits so lowering them more would have little or no effect as it is impossible to police. It's peoples attitude that needs altering, not the speed limit!

--- End quote ---
what about the child that runs into your path from knowwhere, that you havent seen, a person who is struck at 30mph has a 80% chance of survival, at 20mph this increases to 97%.

There is a policy briefing by a charity called "living streets" available to download, if anyone gets the chance i urge them to read it, once read it may change your view on this Albert.

people who use excessive speed are rarely justified, a police officer once said to me "people always think driving at inappropriate speeds is ok until someone they care for is killed by a speeding driver.

I have not trouble driving any number of vehicles at 20mph, it is in their design.

Ferdie:

--- Quote from: larrylamb on April 19, 2012, 05:12:37 pm ---There is a policy briefing by a charity called "living streets" available to download, if anyone gets the chance i urge them to read it, once read it may change your view on this Albert.

--- End quote ---

Possibly to help the debate a link to the policy briefing to which LarryLamb refers can be found at http://www.livingstreets.org.uk/sites/default/files/content/library/Policy_briefings/20mphpolicybriefing240911.pdf

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version