Author Topic: Dredging etc at Gobions lake  (Read 4507 times)

Offline Aqila

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
Dredging etc at Gobions lake
« on: April 16, 2012, 12:27:18 pm »
We have seen major work being carried out at the lake over the last few weeks.  Trees are being cut back and a digger is being used for dredging etc. 

Is this work being done by the WildLife Trust, or does it relate to the fishing club?

The work seems quite significant, and I can't help thinking the timing is very wrong for the birds, mammals and amphibians that are in the middle of breeding.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 10:28:16 pm by Aqila »

Offline EvieMay

• Forum Member
Re: Dredging etc at Gobions lake
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 09:55:33 pm »
We have seen major work being carried out at the lake over the last few weeks.  Trees are being cut back and a digger is being used for dredging etc. 

Is this work being done by the WildLife Trust, or does it relate to the fishing club?

The work seems quite significant, and I can't help thinking the timing is very wrong for the birds, mammals and amphibians that are in the middle of breeding.

Jacqui

Agreed. Very poor timing. Autumn would be a more logical time to carry out such work with minimal disruption to wildlife.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 02:03:20 pm »

Gobions Lake is part of Gobions Open Space which is owned by the parish council.  The lake is leased to the North Mymms Angling Club which is responsible for carrying out maintenance work.

Regarding the cutting back of trees, Herts & Middlesex Wildlife Trust now own Gobions Wood and they have been carrying out a lot of tree cutting etc, as reported elsewhere.  The resulting tree trunks are piled up on the RVC field opposite Bolton's Farm, Hawkshead Road, and have, I am told, been sold to someone local who is to cut them up and sell them as logs for fires.

Offline chicken legs

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 03:47:21 pm »
In their notice which David posted on here on March 15, the Wildlife Trust stated that "rows of dead wood piled at the edge of the paths will create great habitat for the insects, birds.........................".  I hope they have kept to that and are not selling all the wood.

Offline Aqila

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 10:42:10 pm »
Gobions Lake is part of Gobions Open Space which is owned by the parish council.  The lake is leased to the North Mymms Angling Club which is responsible for carrying out maintenance work.

Regarding the cutting back of trees, Herts & Middlesex Wildlife Trust now own Gobions Wood and they have been carrying out a lot of tree cutting etc, as reported elsewhere.  The resulting tree trunks are piled up on the RVC field opposite Bolton's Farm, Hawkshead Road, and have, I am told, been sold to someone local who is to cut them up and sell them as logs for fires.
Hi Bob

I've seen the tree work in the woods, but this is not what I am referring to.  I'm referring to the work immediately around and in the lake.   It has involved cutting down parts of trees, dredging and some sort of earth works (see pictures in my original post.).  A digger was sited right by the lake for a week or so.

Is this being carried out by the Angling Club or the Wildlife Trust? (Presumably the Parish Council know this if they own it.) My concern is that if it is the Angling club their focus may be on ensuring a good angling environment, rather than on presrving a good environment for wildlife.  Are any controls in place regarding how/when the maintenance is carried out?

« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 10:27:45 pm by Aqila »

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 05:27:33 pm »
Hi JacquiW
I will make enquiries

Bob

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 03:17:27 pm »
The work has been carried out by the angliing club.  It could not have been done during the winter because of the normally bad weather one would expect in that season.

Tags: