Author Topic: New 40mph speed limit Station Road  (Read 2988 times)

Offline Susan

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
New 40mph speed limit Station Road
« on: March 14, 2012, 09:03:36 pm »
I noticed today that there are new 40mph signs on the stretch of road between Welham Green and Brookmans Park.  :)

When did that happen? There don't seem to be any signs announcing it anywere.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: New 40mph speed limit Station Road
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 07:58:23 am »
I noticed today that there are new 40mph signs on the stretch of road between Welham Green and Brookmans Park.  :)

When did that happen? There don't seem to be any signs announcing it anywere.

I welcome it. The stretch is so short with so many tight bends and areas where caution is needed - entrances to fields, the health centre, a farm shop, a stables, the scout hut, bus stops and the junction with Bradmore Lane - that 40mph makes sense to me.  Anyone going faster than that is probably wasting fuel, burning more rubber and in some cases taking a risk.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Susan

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 08:37:11 am »
Yes, definitely a good thing, particularly at that very dangerous junction with Bradmore Lane.

I just wondered when it happened. I think it needs highlighting, as nobody seems to have noticed. I go along there virtually every day, sometimes on foot, and people were still speeding along yesterday.

Still, I don't suppose it will be enforced...

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 08:52:40 am »
I just wondered when it happened. I think it needs highlighting, as nobody seems to have noticed. I go along there virtually every day, sometimes on foot, and people were still speeding along yesterday.

I agree. I often walk that stretch as part of one of my longer walks (to the pub) and not only do people speed, but they drive so close to the pavement that at times you have to walk close to the hedge to avoid the wing mirrors.  It's not safe to walk that patch two abreast. And trying to use that road on a bike is so dangerous that the pavement is often shared with cyclists forcing the walker to step into the road.  Not good.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline TAW

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 11:49:28 am »
The new limit has been introduced in response to NMPP representative comments to the recent Brookmans Park (Bluebridge Road) consultation. It goes to show that locals are able to shape their future.
I first noticed the change on Monday and wonder if other similar changes have been implemented.

Offline milkmade

• Opinions on some things
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 01:24:36 pm »
 :( :'( I couldn't agree more with David.  Many people have to walk from the village to the doctors.  They take their life in their hands crossing the road there.

Edited to correct smiley code
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 06:28:16 pm by Angel »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 01:57:25 pm »

Many people have to walk from the village to the doctors.  They take their life in their hands crossing the road there.

Perhaps we need a pedestrian crossing there?

Offline LMS

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 11:44:13 am »
I welcome the new speed limit - it is long overdue - however the signs are not significant enough.  Driving from Welham Green this morning I noticed that one of the new 40mph signs is almost totally obscured by leaves/branches of an evergreen tree.  As the sign is new and it is not the growing season I can only conclude that the sign was installed in a position where it could not be clearly seen.  Public money has paid for this stupidity.

Offline Albert Ross

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 04:09:21 pm »
Quite agree, another waste of public money. It will make little difference to the speed that people actually drive. I have often been overtaken in Welham Green,  Colney Heath, Little Heath & BP because I stick to the 30mph limit. There’s never a copper when you need one.

Tags: