Author Topic: Members of the public urged to participate in Equality Survey  (Read 2921 times)

Offline Aidan Winwood

• Opinions on most things
  • Oh pish posh.  Release the Hounds.
    • GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
  • Video Games (professionally)
Members of the public urged to participate in Equality Survey
« on: February 17, 2012, 07:24:22 pm »
Dear Watch Member,

The Equality Act 2010 simplifies anti-discrimination law by consolidating many previous acts aimed at eliminating discrimination both internally within the organisation and externally for the public that we serve. The Act continues to protect people who were protected by the previous equality legislation (age, disability, gender reassignment, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnership and pregnancy and maternity). These are now called ‘Protected Characteristics' some of which will apply to all of us.

Hertfordshire Constabulary recognises that it is essential for our policing service to promote equality and good relations. This could range from the service given to a vulnerable victim of crime through to ensuring that the make-up of the Constabulary is representative of the community it serves. We are committed to ensuring that individual's needs are recognised, understood and met wherever possible.

Information showing real life examples of the work that have been delivered to the people of Hertfordshire is available on our website. http://www.herts.police.uk/hertfordshire_constabulary/about_us/diversity/equality_act_2010.aspx

As part of the Force's duty under the Equality Act, we are setting objectives that will help us to meet the equality duty and underpin the direction of the Constabulary's work over the next four years. These objectives will be published by 6th April 2012.

This survey is your opportunity to influence these objectives and asks your opinions about what is important to you, where you think we should focus our activity and what we can learn from your experiences.

Please respond using the attached link:

http://www.herts.police.uk/Surveys/equality_duty_public_feedback/equality_objectives_public_feedback.htm

If you need to reply by email click on my address here: cmmail [at] herts.pnn.police.uk.

Regards,
Community Messaging
Hertfordshire Constabulary
Neighbourhood Watch
Email: cmmail [at] herts.pnn.police.uk

(Note: edited to fix broken link)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 08:23:23 pm by David Brewer »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: Members of the public urged to participate in Equality Survey
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 08:33:52 pm »
Please respond using the attached link:

http://www.herts.police.uk/Surveys/equality_duty_public_feedback/equality_objectives_public_feedback.htm

Wow, that's some survey. I gave it a try, but it requires so much input when you get to the questions that I gave up. Sorry.  Very complicated wording, too.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 09:45:20 pm »

Wow, that's some survey. I gave it a try, but it requires so much input when you get to the questions that I gave up. Sorry.  Very complicated wording, too.

David

I agree, I gave up too as didn't really understand the questions!

Offline Conor

• Opinions on some things
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 09:45:42 pm »
Dear Hertfordshire Constabulary

At a time of falling budgets and staff cuts, it depresses me about how much money/time/effort is going into things like 'equality' 'diversity' and other current buzz words. Speaking personally, I would much rather you spent time and effort out on the streets, protecting local communities and catching criminals, rather than producing words and confusing surveys containing tick boxes to allow you to meet targets - which were abolished around 15 months ago by the government in any case.

(For more information about the current state and priority of the police force I suggest readers spend some time reading the excellent -if slightly biased inspector gadget blog - http://inspectorgadget.wordpress.com

Conor

Offline Aidan Winwood

• Oh pish posh.  Release the Hounds.
    • GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
  • Video Games (professionally)
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 09:46:47 pm »
Hi Dave,

Yes, unfortunately I would have to agree; being in Market Research myself, one of the key issues is keeping it short enough that people won't log off before the end.  Also, there are actually lots of new interactive tools to make these things far more interesting.  It also seems to be worded in a very long-winded official language way!

A shame really, since this sort of research is important.  Studies like this are somewhat responsible for the outdated views a lot of people still have about market research.

Aidan

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 08:47:19 am »
Yes, unfortunately I would have to agree; being in Market Research myself, one of the key issues is keeping it short enough that people won't log off before the end.  Also, there are actually lots of new interactive tools to make these things far more interesting.  It also seems to be worded in a very long-winded official language way!

Absolutely, perhaps they should hire you to sort it out.

;)

There are free tools that can do a better job.  And judging by the other comments on this thread others agree that it's too long-winded, complicated and time-consuming.  Everyone producing online surveys (or anything online) needs to realise they are asking people to give up a precious resource - their time.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Greybeard

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 10:12:40 am »
I agree with Conor, and also protested to the police about their priorities.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 01:17:49 pm »
I agree with Conor, and also protested to the police about their priorities.

At a time of falling budgets and staff cuts, it depresses me about how much money/time/effort is going into things like 'equality' 'diversity' and other current buzz words. Speaking personally, I would much rather you spent time and effort out on the streets, protecting local communities and catching criminals, rather than producing words and confusing surveys containing tick boxes to allow you to meet targets - which were abolished around 15 months ago by the government in any case.

I think the wording is wrong, and that is causing the problem. Equality is an extremely ambitious objective. I am all for the aim to eliminate discrimination as set out in the original post.

The Equality Act 2010 simplifies anti-discrimination law by consolidating many previous acts aimed at eliminating discrimination both internally within the organisation and externally for the public that we serve. The Act continues to protect people who were protected by the previous equality legislation (age, disability, gender reassignment, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnership and pregnancy and maternity).

It's just sad that we need legislation and for the state to intervene to ensure we are fair to all, presumably because, without legistlation, we wouldn't be.

Tags: