Author Topic: Cold Calling  (Read 1161 times)

Offline Aidan Winwood

• Opinions on most things
  • Oh pish posh.  Release the Hounds.
    • GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
  • Video Games (professionally)
Cold Calling
« on: February 08, 2012, 05:41:45 pm »
Dear Watch Member,

We have received information that companies are cold calling people in the Cuffley and Northaw area offering home security advice.  It has been suggested that they may also be implying that they are working in conjunction with local authorities and or councils.

Whilst this could be legitimate, I feel it pertinent to remind you all of a few simple measures you can complete to maintain both your own and your property's safety when dealing with similar matters.

NEVER agree to any work or contract over the telephone.

NEVER release personal information over the telephone, a legitimate company will not be upset if you ask for a registered address, website address, telephone number, which you can then use to verify who they are, and what exactly they are offering.

If you are in any doubt or concerned about them, HANG UP, this is your right and you do not have to agree to anything.

If they say they are working in conjunction with the local council, ring the local council and check.  Welwyn and Hatfield Council can be contacted on 01707 357000.  This will let you know if you are being told the truth.

Never open the door or make an appointment with anyone you are not sure about. Never let strangers into your home without asking for Identification, which must be checked properly.

If you require any work to be carried out, either security or building etc, always gather 3 separate quotes for the work.  This will ensure you aren't being charged too much.

If you have any concerns about this sort of activity, please contact me on 01707 806948 to discuss.  Always call 999 in an emergency.

If you need to reply by email click on my address here: ross.freeman2 [at] herts.pnn.police.uk.

Regards,
Ross Freeman
Police Constable
Neighbourhood Watch
Email: ross.freeman2 [at] herts.pnn.police.uk
Tel: 01707 354192

Tags: