Author Topic: Footpath by the railway  (Read 30839 times)

Offline Aloo

• Opinions on many things
Re: Footpath by the railway
« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2009, 10:50:34 pm »
Has anyone raised this with our local councillors?  Improving the footpath could become a part of the BP (Ward) Improvement Plan.

Offline ADM

• Forum Moderator
  • Member of the Brookmans Park Newsletter Forum
« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2009, 09:23:24 am »
Part of the path is an official right of way according to the Ordnance Survey.

Cycling on footpaths can damage them making them muddy and impassable in winter; rutted and dangerous in the summer.  Whatever your views, it's against the law. 

If you want to change the law, there's a process for that.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2009, 10:47:49 am »
Has anyone raised this with our local councillors?  Improving the footpath could become a part of the BP (Ward) Improvement Plan.

The Parish Plan Steering Group is having a stall at Village Day, so why not suggest to them?

However!!!!    In 2005 the Parish Environment Action Plan (PEAP) Steering group wanted part of this path in the route of a circular 3-mile 'North Mymms Walk'.  The leaflet is still available at BP Library, and is also Country Ramble 12 on this website with the link on front page.  Network Rail would only give permission if the PEAP become responsible for maintenance of the path.   As you might imagine, the route of the walk was diverted slightly to avoid that path.  

Offline Custard

• Opinions on some things
« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2009, 03:05:47 pm »
I wonder if the RVC are considering maintaining the path to allow students to walk from the station to the college?

This could be part of their 'green plan' to stop students driving and parking in Hawkshead Lane?

Offline Purrfect

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2015, 09:07:54 pm »
First time using this path today from Potters Bar station and itís overgrown in places especially approaching Brookmans Park station Ė does anyone know if itís ever maintained these days or is it just left to nature?

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2015, 10:16:39 pm »
As this piece from a local map shows, there is actually no public footpath alongside the railway line next to the station - the official 'footpath' turns left half way along down the steps, which is probably why it is not being maintained as the council will not look at it. Not sure what the answer is here - the land is owned by Network Rail but on the grounds it is not an official right of way they have no duty to maintain or clear it, and posts above suggest they are not keen to in the future either.

James

(Map Contains OS data © Crown copyright  2015)
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Aloo

« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2015, 07:55:43 pm »
I use this path regularly.  Some Good Samaritan partly cut back the nettles over the weekend.  Access down the path is still not great, but it is better than it was last week!

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #67 on: July 16, 2015, 09:30:25 pm »
As this piece from a local map shows, there is actually no public footpath alongside the railway line next to the station - the official 'footpath' turns left half way along down the steps, which is probably why it is not being maintained as the council will not look at it.

I'd better rewrite Walk 10, then. Only last week I met a couple standing on the bridge at Brookmans Park station looking at a print off of Walk 10 and I gave them directions down the path that shouldn't be.  I feel an edit coming on.

;)
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • BP born and bred
« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2015, 10:35:50 pm »
When I was a lad - ok that was way back in the last century - I regularly walked along the 'non path' beside the railway as in those days the 'official' route was overgrown (and a longer distance) and not maintained!

Tags: