Author Topic: Footpath by the railway  (Read 29492 times)

sterling

Re: Footpath by the railway
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2004, 01:57:52 am »
Any chance of organising a "clear up" one Sunday, soon?
We could all meet at an appointed time with black bags at the ready and feel good about being civic-spirited.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2004, 08:59:35 am »
Bob Horrocks (with his Green Belt Society hat on) organised a clearup of the station and other areas which the scouts helped with last March, but I agree it does need to be done again! I believe the intention was to make it an annual event - are you planning on doing anything similar in 2005 Bob?
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2004, 01:53:52 pm »
Good question.

I will raise this at the next committee meeting of the Green Belt Soc which will be in January.  Maybe a New Year's Resolution?

Max

« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2005, 12:45:59 pm »
What I have never understood about BP station is why, in order to get to the platforms, do you have to cross the roadbridge, walk down to the ticket office, and then cross a footbridge back over the lines again? My mother, even though she is doing really well for an 83 year old, now finds this too strenuous and has given up using the station altogether. Why would it not be possible to have the ticket office in the car park with the footbridge running from the carpark to the platforms? Apart from making life easier for the old and infirm, it would also be useful for drivers dropping off people with heavy luggage. At the moment, the only way to do this is either to leave the luggage carrier to cross one bridge and then another, or to stop on a really severe bend in the road, just over the bridge, which is obviously a highly dangerous thing to do!

Brookmans Park might not be the sort of place that generally gets into record books, but I really think we could make a claim to having the most stupidly designed station on the planet!

Mary_Morgan

« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2005, 07:46:03 pm »
Max

Historically, the station was built before much else was.   The flats in the road to and the car park were just a field, and not many people had cars to stop on the bend to drop off, and as there weren't many cars it wasn't dangerous.

Before "the cutting down", there were staff on the station who apart from having very nice flower beds and pride in their station, used to take my mum's arm and those of other elderly people and walk them across the track to the platform to save the climb over the footbridge. 

Dangerous, perhaps, but not if you knew the timetable and when the next train was coming through.

Mary

Max

« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2005, 07:14:02 pm »
Yes Mary, I remember Don and Mary at the station very well. Seems like something out of an old Ealing Comedy now, doesn't it? I remember being taken across the track in my pushchair (I have a surprisingly good memory considering my dissolute life-style!). It wasn't just the flowers either. Don had a vegetable plot as well and we used to sometimes buy a lettuce or two from him. I learnt to speak Italian shortly before he retired which amused him greatly!

Still, that was then, and I can see no reason why we could not now have a bridge to the platform from the car park, and a ticket machine too. Apart from being more convenient, it would be safer too, and not just for road safety. We surely all remember that poor woman who was murdered and left down the railway path. If I was a woman, and the only passenger getting off the last train back from London at night, I know that I would far rather come straight into the village than have to walk up a path which could have been designed for the benefit of lurking evildoers (dark, lots of places to hide, unlikely to be anyone nearby to hear a call for help).

Offline Gashead

• Opinions on some things
  • Member of the Brookmans Park Newsletter Forum
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2005, 11:24:02 pm »
Max
I am so with you on this one. What really gets my goat though is the people who suffer from the "I cannot walk up a slope in the morning" syndrome. They need to be dropped off out of a car parked on the crest of a blind bend right at the top of the station ramp. More than once I have heard the screech of burning rubber as two vehicles end up face to face on that corner as someone is being dropped off.
Gashead

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2005, 11:27:17 pm »
As much as that plan makes sense, I cannot ever see such a large amount of money being put into what is probably - nationally speaking - quite a small and little used station.

What would be more likely - largely because it would be a lot cheaper - would be cutting down the undergrowth alongside the path up to the main road to make it more open and accessible, and maybe improving the lighting a bit as well.

However, I wouldn't hold your breath. I wrote to WAGN over two months ago requesting a litter bin or two at the station as they have started appearing elsewhere (Potters Bar for example) - no reply as yet....

James

Offline Aloo

• Opinions on many things
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2008, 10:27:07 pm »
Has anyone raised the state of the footpath which runs along the side of the railway with the County Council?

I was wondering whether the footpath could be expanded and improved to include a cycle path thereby linking BP with Potters Bar (and the Vet College).  This could potentially provide an alternative for students who currently drive to the Vet college and also provide a safer route for cyclists going from BP to Potters Bar.

I intend to discuss this with the Rights of Way Officer at County Council but beforehand would like to know what are the views of other forum members, re upgrading of the railway footpath?

Regards

JW

Offline stevea

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2008, 04:30:19 am »
What a great idea. This should have been done years ago.   You can get to PB Station to the bottom of Cranbourne Rd with no problem but the footpath from Cranbourne Rd to BP is a nightmare, especially on a bike!

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2008, 07:15:35 am »
I did moot the idea a few years ago on a cycling forum and was told that it would be difficult to get funding etc as there is already a provided cycle path running parallel to it alongside Warrangate Road. An additional problem is that the section from Brookmans Park station immediately southwards is not even a public right of way - if you have a look at an OS map, the public footpath does not follow the line of the railway.

Having said all that I was, strangely, wondering about the same thing myself recently, and would be happy to support and help with any work etc that needed doing. One thing that would be vitally important would be to have the support of the local landowners - as a first step, is it worth contacting the vet college to see if they would support the idea?

James

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2008, 09:40:52 am »
Anything that increases the network of paths that are suitable for safe cycling is good in my opinion.

Some years ago when I cycled much more regularly I found one of the biggest problems with cycleways was maintenance, for an example when the path on the A414 between London Colney and Park Street roundabouts was relaid, it was fine for a while, but never swept so all the thorns from the overhanging hawthorn trees were a constant source of punctures.

It would also be very dark without lighting by the railway, over the years there have been various attacks on people, Ann Lock being the most tragic in the 1980s I think.

I would like to see some decent amount of money (say 5% of the roads budget) ploughed into cycleways but that would have to come from central government realistically, I don't think local initiatives would ever be enough.

Offline hilarycarlen

• Mother Hen
  • The secret of life is compost.
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2008, 09:55:48 am »
Would love to see some improvements to the footpath!  (also happy to help with any clearing of the footpath or the area round the station).  I also used to bike along the footpath into Potters Bar, but have given up due to the state of it.

Back in 2004, when I was biking the path every day, I got so fed up with the overgrown nettles , the rabbit potholes , and the broken glass giving me punctures on the bit by the estate, that I once spent a whole weekend mowing the path all the way from Brooky P to potters bar, (Bryan liked this too, as I had to buy a new lawnmower afterwards!), sweeping up all the broken glass, and filling in the rabbit damage near the vet college. 

I much enjoyed that weekend but the improvements didn't last...  A good properly laid path would be fantastic.  But the bit by the vet college would need pretty good foundations, as the rabbit excavations under the railway would soon undermine anything done on the cheap.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2008, 10:51:54 am »
The footpath is on landed owned by Network Rail.

In 2005 the Parish Environment Action Group Steering Committee (PEAP) (sorry about the long title) produced a 'North Mymms Walk' leaflet.  We tried to include part of this path in the 3-mile circular walk.  Network Rail said we could, but only if we would maintain that footpath.  They were politely told to 'go away' and a slightly revised route was the result, omitting that path.

The resulting walk is now Walk 12 on this website.  (Click here)

The PEAP is now examing the possibility of a new footpath on Hawkshead Road and Lane bridging the gap in pavements between Boltons Farm and the RVC.  Very early days yet with lots of investigations to be done, including finance of course.

Note: Edited only to add link to post. David
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 12:49:09 pm by David Brewer »

Offline ADM

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2008, 01:00:57 pm »
It's a footpath and people shouldn't be riding bikes on it, as things stand.  Of course people do and that's one of the causes of the poor state of repair.  Converting it to a bridleway or cycle path would be expensive and, with the dedicated cycle path along side Warrengate Road, hard to justify.

Offline hilarycarlen

• Mother Hen
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2008, 08:20:45 pm »
riding bikes on it ... [is] one of the causes of the poor state of repair. "
Really?  I can see lots of rabbit damage near the vet college fields, a lot of glass near the estate by Potters Bar, a fair bit of rubbish everywhere, and a lot of mud up till the estate, where the path turns to tarmac.  But bike damage?  Where?
OK, so cycling-on-a-footpath-crime is a deviance not to be approved of, but in the days when I committed that crime every day, my passing was certainly one of the factors that kept the path open, and I assume that the same might be said of anyone who cycles it regularly now.

Converting it to a bridleway or cycle path would be expensive and, with the dedicated cycle path along side Warrengate Road, hard to justify.
Uh?  Do you mean the dedicated bike track that runs between South Mimms service station and gives out just at the turning towards Hawkshead Road?  That one doesn't in any way link up the vet brooky park and potters bar.  Are you just thinking from a car driver's point of view, or is there another dedicated bike path that I've missed all this time?  Going by road from Brooky to Potters Bar is a horrible experience on a bike, but the footpath, when ridable, is very pretty, very safe and very quick.

Offline ADM

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2008, 03:34:22 pm »
HC,

Cycling exacerbates the muddiness, in much the same way as horses do.  In the summer (if you believe in such a thing) we get corresponding hollows and ruts.

I think the path will stay open with or without the cyclists that use it.

Cyclists can use roads so yes, you would have to use Bradmore Lane to get to the cycle route and then you could use Mutton Lane or Baker Street or the A1000 to get from the route to PB Central.  Check out the map on this site...

http://www.greatnorthway.org.uk/index.html

Offline Aloo

« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2008, 05:53:44 pm »
I'm due to walk the area with the  Herts County Council Rights of Way Service this Friday (1st Feb) at 09.30.   

If anyone else is around and would like to join us meet at the bottom of the railway stairs at 09.30 on Friday morning.

Regards

JW

Offline naomi

« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2008, 09:48:10 pm »
JW  What was the Herts County Council Rights of Way Service opinion?

Offline Aloo

« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2008, 09:47:17 pm »
Feedback from the very helpful Symon Gaughan at Herts County Council was as follows:

"The route is suitable for looking at it becoming bridleway status (bikes and horses).

As I indicated part of the obvious route is not a public footpath but that is not insurmountable. There is great council/government interest in cycle routes.

You will recall that I explained that this may take a while to organise.

The actual person responsible for the area, Dawn Grocock, returns to work at the beginning of April from a period of extended annual leave. I will liaise with her about the matter and update you"

Symon works in the Rights of Way Service. part of Environment Dept at Herts County Council. His contact details are Symon.Gaughan@hertscc.gov.uk

Symon emphasised that "I would add that this is not a guarantee that this will occur. Private land is involved and if the owner(s) do not want to assist/dedicate then what is a good idea that would help people may not become a reality. ".

Offline hilarycarlen

• Mother Hen
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2008, 09:22:43 am »
This is really brilliant news and I'm delighted.  I've written to Symon to say so, and I hope lots more people do too.  The alternative routes for cycles are miles round (quicker to walk down the path) and include nasty roads.  If anyone hears any update on this, do please post on the website.

Offline Birch

• I am God (no really!)
« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2008, 09:50:48 am »
Now i know this won't affect many of the site readers, but I believe there's a few from Welham Green including myself. I just want to say what a great improvement has been made to the railway bridge there. Previously you would walk across and be a foot away from a juggernaut driving past. When it rained cars splashed water from the uneven road surface towards the pavement and it was like 'running the guantlet' trying to dodge past gushing water and cars, whilst making a run for it when there was gap between traffic rolling past. So now the road surface is even, there's a higher curb and bollards for protection.

So thank you to the local council for this major improvement.

Offline Oly

• Well, I say
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2009, 10:54:50 am »
Has anyone noticed the state of the path lately, the grass is overgrown and you have push your way past when cycling.
I use the path daily on my commute to work in cranborne industrial estate, saves me 50 going to FCC pockets!!!!

Who is the best person in the council to contact? I know that Bob mentioned he met up with a member of the council but not too sure what the council said they would do. Can we not organise a clear up ourself? Its not  major foot path but there are people who find it usefull as it avoids the main roads.

Offline ADM

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2009, 11:31:00 am »
Cycling on footpaths is against the law.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2009, 12:46:47 pm »
Hi Oly

Since the path is owned by Network Rail it is their responsibility, not a council.  You might try First Capital Connect, but with the experience of the station car park to go by, good luck!

It is not an official Right of Way path according to the county council map, so any discussion on cycling on this path seems pointless.

Offline Oly

• Well, I say
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2009, 01:39:12 pm »
Hi Bob,

Thanks for your reply, I will contact FCC and see if they reply, not holding out much luck..........  :)

Oliver

Offline Oly

• Well, I say
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2009, 01:47:15 pm »
Cycling on footpaths is against the law.

Personally I dont see an issue of cycling on the line path, what would mototists prefer.
Being stuck behind a cyclist on the road or being able to drive without attempting to overtake and then causing an accident?

Its a hard law to enforce, there are others who cycle on the path and people do give way to one another so I doubt it would cause any accidents.
It is safer than the road due to the amount of inconsiderate motorists that drive around without any regard for anyone else than themselves.
What was the path created for?

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2009, 02:53:37 pm »
I agree with you Oly.  
I don't know how many people you encounter walking along that path but I'm sure you are considerate to them, and they to you.  
I don't think that many people walk along there.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 09:33:40 pm by Angel »

Offline mannyd

« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2009, 08:54:12 pm »
We (me and my eldest - who's 4) amble along there a few days a month (at weekends). Always found that cyclists are most curteous - we tend to give way, as easier for us to go into the scrub at the side of the path - but never had anyone yet who didn't acknowledge us for it

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2009, 09:24:56 pm »
I strongly believe that cycling should be allowed on all public footpaths in rural areas, much safer than going on the roads and opens up new vistas. On the occasions that I do this I also get good upper body workout by lifting the bike over the stiles and kissing gates.

I can hear you all tut-tutting but if I ever meet pedestrians on footpaths I always stop and stand to one side (looking appropriately guilty and getting ready to pretend to be foreign if challenged - oops, given the game away).

But for the ultimate thrill the Hornbeam Lane circuit takes some beating, all on bridleways.

ATG
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Tags: