Author Topic: De-icing your car? Don't give frosty thieves an easy ride.  (Read 1754 times)

Offline Aidan Winwood

• Opinions on most things
  • Oh pish posh.  Release the Hounds.
    • GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
  • Video Games (professionally)
De-icing your car? Don't give frosty thieves an easy ride.
« on: January 18, 2012, 11:08:13 am »
Dear Watch Member,

As the frosty weather returns, we'd like to remind you of the secure way to de-ice your car.

In previous years we have seen incidents of theft where drivers have left the engine of their vehicle running, unattended, whilst de-icing their cars.

You should always make sure your windscreen and other windows are thoroughly de-frosted and clear before driving off - but make sure you stay with your vehicle and never leave it unattended with the keys in the ignition, even for a second, when de-icing.

You can help keep your vehicle winter-worthy and legal by taking these steps:

Ensure your wiper blades are in good condition
    Make sure you have plenty of washer fluid
    Check your tyres are correctly inflated and have good tyre tread - the absolute minimum legal limit for cars is 1.6mm.
    Adjust your driving to the conditions of the road - sometimes it is about driving less than the legal limit.
    Leave plenty of room between you and the vehicle in front.

If you need to reply by email click on my address here: cmmail [at] herts.pnn.police.uk.

Regards,
Community Messaging
Hertfordshire Constabulary
Neighbourhood Watch
Email: cmmail [at] herts.pnn.police.uk

Offline MarkC

• Opinions on a couple of things
  • Forum Member
Re: De-icing your car? Don't give frosty thieves an easy ride.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 05:13:41 pm »
What would also be important to mention I think is that most motor insurers won't pay for theft of a vehicle if it's stolen when the keys are in it. Not sure many people are aware of this.

Offline Aidan Winwood

• Opinions on most things
  • Oh pish posh.  Release the Hounds.
    • GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
  • Video Games (professionally)
Re: De-icing your car? Don't give frosty thieves an easy ride.
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 04:55:18 pm »
Absolutely right; a friend and I were laughing a few months ago when at the cash machine in the village.  A chap in his new BMW pulled up, got out and popped into the newsagent for a paper, leaving the car running.  My friend, from Manchester, couldn't believe his eyes, "that would be gone within seconds at home".

I love living in the village because people can do what this chap did, but sometimes I think we leave ourselves open to crime because of how safe the area is.

A

Tags: