Author Topic: Images of North Mymms  (Read 4937 times)

Offline epiphany

• Opinions on most things
Images of North Mymms
« on: January 17, 2012, 08:58:49 pm »
Mike Allen and Sam Elgar are local historians who have been busy scanning historic photographic images of North Mymms culled from various collections and have amassed a superb collection of approx 1250 images to be made available on a DVD.
They are currently searching for any local images from the 1970's or before that could be included
so if you have any please let them know!
They can come to you, so there is no risk of damage or loss.

Mike Allen 01707 268553                            Sam Elgar 01707 261810

« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 09:30:27 pm by epiphany »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: Images of North Mymms
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 04:18:08 am »
Hi Epiphany,

I am presuming they already know about and have the images in the book North Mymms Pictures From The Past, produced by the North Mymms Local History Society and which are reproduced on this site.

http://www.brookmans.com/history/pictures/index.shtml

Are they going to make the collection available to all online and free-of-charge or are the images they collect only going to be on DVD.  If they are available online and it's not subscription we could link to them from this site's history section.

http://www.brookmans.com/history/

David

The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline epiphany

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 10:24:28 am »
Hi David

Details have yet to be finalised as it is still a work in progress, however I believe that the idea is that a limited number of images could be requested and supplied free of charge via email whilst a small charge would be made for a DVD containing all the images at screen resolution and possibly another option of requesting a limited number of specific large file images supplied on a DVD again for a small charge.
This project has been brought about mainly because it had become apparent that the NMLHS archive was in danger of dissipating and disappearing after the sad death of Marion Benton the NMLHS archivist.
Mike has salvaged what he can and is still trying to trace the whereabouts of parts of the collection.
He has visited and scanned all the images available from the known contributors to the NMLHS book Pictures From The Past as well as other local collections and is now spreading his net wider amongst the local community to locate any other images that might be available.
A link to this site's history section would be perfect and I will let you know when this project is completed.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 10:45:09 am »
Thanks epiphany, 

If they are looking for a storage solution and are not fussed about making money, they could upload them to this forum's media section.

http://www.brookmans.com/forum/index.php?action=media

Similarly, if they want to an online presence and don't have a website we could create a new category in this site's history section and upload them all there in a new template.

http://www.brookmans.com/history/

Another option (which is not an either or but an as well) would be  to set up a collection in Flickr with various 'sets' for the particular dates or locations and make them available to all to download and use under Creative Commons (or limit the IP settings if they want).

http://www.flickr.com/

I think a DVD is a great idea, but these days people expect to be able to download, share, embed and use such useful information. And by doing that the material is far more likely to reach a wider audience and be of benefit to more.

For example, I can see a lot of this being of use to local schools when they do their local studies and history work. 

http://www.brookmans.com/library/

So I would suggest creating a free, online presence with the images available under Creative Commons, possibly via Flickr. 

http://creativecommons.org/choose/

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 01:02:49 pm »
I will contact Sam with ideas but can outline some here for general information.

When the parish council did the local calendars in 2007, 2008 and 2009 Potterells Medical Centre said they had photos of their building going back to 1935. 

The RVC would most likely be able to provide photos taken of their Hawkshead Campus including aerial shots and official openings particularly by royalty.

At County Hall the Archives and Local Studies section has some old photos, one of Bell Lane was used in the 2009 calendar, with acknowledgement of course.

Potters Bar and District Historical Society has old photos of North Mymms, as can be seen in some of their publications.  They run the museum at Wyllyots.

Although not pre 1970s, a friend has some excellent photos of steam trains going through BP station in recent years.

On a related subject I am toying with the idea of producing a 2013 calendar of stills taken from films and TV dramas shot in and around North Mymms.  If it goes ahead maybe this could form a section of the archive.  I know about Hatfield House, Wrotham Park, North Mymms Park, Kentish Lane (Footballers wives) Octagonal House at entrance to NM Park (used in a 1930s Will Hay film), St Mary's Church NM Park (funeral scene in Eastenders about 2 years ago)  and the Brookies (Go Compare advert).   I would welcome any more info.

Offline chicken legs

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 09:32:13 pm »
The David Hare drama, "Page Eight", last year had a funeral scene shot in St Mary's Church.

Offline epiphany

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 08:41:40 am »
On a related subject I am toying with the idea of producing a 2013 calendar of stills taken from films and TV dramas shot in and around North Mymms.  If it goes ahead maybe this could form a section of the archive.  I know about Hatfield House, Wrotham Park, North Mymms Park, Kentish Lane (Footballers wives) Octagonal House at entrance to NM Park (used in a 1930s Will Hay film), St Mary's Church NM Park (funeral scene in Eastenders about 2 years ago)  and the Brookies (Go Compare advert).   I would welcome any more info.

Bob

I thought you might be interested in this link showing locations used in North Mymms for The Prisoner, Randall & Hopkirk, The Avengers, Department S and The Professionals amongst others!

http://avengerland.theavengers.tv/k.htm

Also I believe Agatha Christie's Marple - Mirror Crack'd From Side To Side - broadcast on ITV
on 4 Jan 2011 starring Joanna Lumley & Julia Mckenzie was shot at North Mymms House.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 02:56:10 pm »
Many thanks for the link to this fascinating website.  Just as many Hollywood films seem to be centred on LA, a lot of filming is done near here because of Elstree Studios being on our doorstep.

As well as the Miss Marple episode at North Mymms House, there was another episode in the same series filmed at Hatfield House.  One advantage of recording programmes on Sky+ is that you can rewind to a scene which looks familiar to see if it is where you think it is.  'Peter's Friends' (Stephen Fry, Kenneth Brannagh etc) was a typical example where the rewind confirmed it was filmed at Wrotham Park.

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • BP born and bred
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 03:07:31 pm »
And don't forget 'Cindy Beale', from Eastenders is 'buried' in St Mary's churchyard!

Tags: