Author Topic: Sasser and firewall  (Read 2705 times)

Online Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Sasser and firewall
« on: May 05, 2004, 08:50:34 pm »
Can any of our IT gurus advise please?  I have a Belkin ADSL modem router with built-in wireless. It has its own firewall. I also have Norton Internet Security 2004 with its own firewall. My Windows XP has its own firewall. I am running two PCs connected by ethernet cables and a laptop connected through wireless.

However, to enable my wireless LAN to work I have had disable the Norton and Windows XP firewalls and rely only on the Belkin router firewall. (Belkin said this was safe to do because their firewall would do the trick). Norton Internet Security 2004 keeps updating, and Microsoft update has recommended downloading a patch, but I presume neither of these will protect me because the firewalls are turned off?

I contacted Belkin who say their firewall will protect and there are no patches or updates to download to the router.

Is this right?  Will my Belkin ADSL Modem Router's firewall protect me from Sasser? The model number is F5D7630.

Thanks

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Largey

• Opinions on many things
Re: Sasser and firewall
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2004, 10:25:35 pm »
Dave,

There has been some comment on another thread (Spyware) regarding the sasser worm.
The microsoft site at http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/sasser.asp
Has all the info needed.
In your case you should be fine with the Belkin product. The name of the game here is to have a different IP address for your local machines compared to the connection to the internet. Generally speaking this should be so in your case as either your ISP has given you an address within their range and your Belkin product should allocate each of your PC's with another which is common to your systems but different to that one used to access the net.... Hope that makes sense..
You can see what your system has allocated by looking at the setup for your router and note the IP address. It may well have the box checked for Server Assigned IP. Most routers will show you that number when connected. Although you have an "Always on connection" occassionaly the number will change slightly.
You then need to check the IP address range assigned to your internal network. Again this may well be shown in the setup of the router. If not then run ipconfig on your machine to see what you have !!.

Anyway the short of it is.. You should be ok but check the microsoft site first and use their tool for scanning your system, patch it if need be and then you can put your feet up !! :-)

Online Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: Sasser and firewall
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2004, 11:37:04 pm »
Thanks Paul,

I went to the Belkin site, clicked on support, typed in the model number of my modem and up came a list of firmware updates for the router.

There was also a neat chat window. I clicked on this and some bloke started chatting to me about my router.

He took me through how to download the lastest 'firmware' patch (don't ask me what that means), and then log on to the router web interface and install.

Bingo, a few clicks later and the ADSL modem router had the latest patch.

Hopefully that is it. What makes me fed up is that I invested in the Norton Internet Security 2004 combo before I realised that the Belkin did half the job. I probably could have saved a few bob in beer tokens if I had been a bit more on the ball.

Still, my LAN is still working, so all is well.

Thanks for the advice, as usual.

Dave
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Tags: