Author Topic: Recycling household waste  (Read 59648 times)

Offline stevea

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
Re: Recycling household waste
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2008, 11:26:04 am »
Can we do this - yes, we can.....before they can the idea let's do the can can!

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2009, 04:11:58 pm »
Good news on the recycling front. The local council is now including cardboard and food waste in the things it will collect (from Monday 5 October). They can now go in the same recycling bin as the garden waste. There is a list on the Welwyn Hatfield site about what can be included.

http://www.welhat.gov.uk/environmentplanning/rubbishwasteandrecycling/foodwasteandcardboardcollections

We've been recycling cardboard for years, but it piles up quickly. My only concern is whether every other week is frequent enough for collections; our brown recycling bin is always full with garden waste.

But it's a positive move.

Dave

The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Ann

• Opinions on some things
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2009, 11:26:28 pm »
In Potters Bar we have had this recycling system in place for some time now. However we do not have a bottle collection which is a bit of a pain.

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • BP born and bred
« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2009, 06:17:57 pm »
I had cause to visit the Cole Green Waste Recycling Site today. It is quite clear now that the days of just throwing things away is well and truly over. Unfortunately my waste sacks were various from clearing out a shed and a spare room. On arrival I had to split open all the bags and separate it all, and with hindsight a good thing too. It ensured much of the waste would have another life and not just be put in a hole in the ground or burnt adding to CO2 emissions.

I for one wasn't aware on how strict things had become, so a word of advice. Before travelling to the tip, make sure your waste is all one thing, or have it separated in advance.

* cardboard * paper * hard plastic * cans/foil * metal * greenwaste (garden) * textiles * clean untreated wood * treated/painted wood of chipboard/MDF * glass *electrical. etc. etc.

The site staff are very strict and very little actually goes in the 'general waste' skip

They do not take hardcore, soil, asbestos, plasterboard.

I am sure our doorstep collections will increasingly require separation on similar lines. Not quite sure how or where those in small dwellings or flats with little or no garden/yard will keep all those extra bins!  :icon_scratch:

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2009, 08:15:07 pm »
Well I shouldn't say this but as I had a similar misfortune to Ferdie when taking stuff to Cole Green, including being ranted at by the most obnoxious young lady in a hi vis jacket, I now take my stuff to Potters Bar where they just couldn't care less if everything goes in the landfill bin. Obviously I sort most stuff out before visiting but I object to being publicly shouted at and treated like a naughty boy. Hmph!!

ATG
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2009, 10:07:47 am »
I am sure our doorstep collections will increasingly require separation on similar lines. Not quite sure how or where those in small dwellings or flats with little or no garden/yard will keep all those extra bins! 

Dead right.  I stressed this point when I spoke on behalf of the parish council at a Welwyn Hatfield Planning Control meeting when they approved the 5 flats at 2 Bradmore Way, along with the potential parking problem.  It was discussed at some length but there were no objections from the waste handling section of the council so it was approved.

colinr

« Reply #66 on: September 28, 2009, 09:42:11 pm »
I now take my stuff to Potters Bar where they just couldn't care less if everything goes in the landfill bin. Obviously I sort most stuff out before visiting but I object to being publicly shouted at and treated like a naughty boy. Hmph!!

ATG

Strange you say this ATG. I was clearing out my loft earlier this year and found the Potters Bar Cranborne Road Household Waste Recycling Centre a bit of a centre for “Jobsworth” every waste container had a Hi Vis operative sitting in it, who would scrutinize every bin bag or box that I was dumping, I was told to split the cardboard from the paper from the wood from the glass etc.

As I agree entirely with this practice I was made to feel like a naughty schoolboy for not knowing the rules and when I asked for advice I was answered by grunts and finger pointing.

My loft had 25 years of junk to get rid of, so I needed to make several journeys to this site. Coincidently on my six and final visit I was asked by Mr Hi Vis why I had been to the site so many times and was I operating commercially, if so I would have my details taken and passed to Hertsmere council who will make a charge for me disposing of the items.

At this point I was furious that I was being told to pay for this service “My binmen won’t take it if I put it on my doorstep, I obviously won’t fly tip it, although that option is less of hassle than trying to get rid of it environmentally” I  also ranted “I pay my community tax to WHC I am entitled to bring it here to Cranborne for free disposal” 

Big mistake as it’s a Hertsmere site and I pay WHC so I should use a WHC site not Potters Bar. I said “Sorry to have troubled you Sir and thanks for your help!”

So I guess my next visit will be to see Miss Hi Vis at the Cole Green site, think I will take my hard hat and a book on the finer points of recycling etiquette

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • BP born and bred
« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2009, 07:47:14 am »
It shouldn't matter which site you use, providing it is in Hertfordshire as the 'landfill tax' is charged to HCC, as I discovered when Cole Green was temporarily shut for a collection of bins, I was directed to either Ware or Potters Bar. The key is the recycling targets. If the sites get the right volume of recyclable items, that can be a revenue generator and offset the cost to the County for landfill which is administered nationally. Most if not all sites are now prvately run, presumably for profit, so the 'men in hi viz jackets' have to ensure they make money. We as tax payers should be grateful!... ::)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2010, 10:33:11 am »
Recycling top tip - from experience.

Tip: Don't fill your brown recycle bin with leaves and twigs and then get in and jump up and down to compress it - especially in the run up to freezing weather.

Reason: You create a massive block of leafy ice that remains in your wheelie bin after the recycling team has been round to collect and it won't budge - roll on the big thaw.

:-\

The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline epiphany

« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2010, 10:58:26 am »
Thanks for the top tip David, although unfortunately a little late for me as I am in exactly the same boat (or should that be wheelie bin!)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2010, 11:40:07 am »
oops, just removed a pic I added. Realised later it had been cropped from a copyrighted image. Must be more careful in future.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2012, 03:36:54 pm »
Just seen this tweet from Hertsmere advertising free kitchen caddies for recycling waste. I have searched the Welwyn Hatfield site to see if they do them but drew a blank. I am sure they do. Does anyone have any information about whether they are available?

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2012, 03:43:40 pm »
We got one ages ago - I think they could be picked up from the Leisure Centre on Travellers Lane in Hatfield.
I expect the original stock has long since gone though.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2012, 04:04:22 pm »
We've been using something we picked up in a shop when the recycling started, but it's a bit small. Will pop along and check. Thanks

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • BP born and bred
« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2012, 07:27:14 pm »
I got kitchen caddie from the Welwyn Hatfield Council Neighbourhood Housing Office, 30/32 Town Centre, Hatfield, (near the old disused Post Office) Other locations are listed here http://www.welhat.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=3213

Annoyingly all the local supermarkets supply starch bin liners, (which are not permitted) but I've yet to find one that supplies the card/paper ones.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #75 on: March 22, 2012, 07:37:51 pm »
Great, thanks Ferdie.

Offline epiphany

« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2012, 01:15:04 pm »

Annoyingly all the local supermarkets supply starch bin liners, (which are not permitted) but I've yet to find one that supplies the card/paper ones.

Tesco do a brown paper one - perfect size!

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #77 on: August 07, 2013, 11:42:20 am »
Just seen this tweet...

... and followed the link (see extract below). It seems changes are planned for cardboard recycling, the ending of recycling of "flimsy plastics such as bags", but "cartons, such as Tetra Pak" are to be included.  Does this mean we will need another bin for cardboard to keep it separate?  And what happens to the "flimsy plastic". Landfill or ... incineration?  Thoughts?

Quality of recycling as important as quantity
Cardboard will be recycled instead of composted as part of some minor changes to the borough's recycling and compost collections, with the aim of improving the quality of the materials collected. The new arrangements, which are due to come into operation in the autumn, follow a decision by Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council's Cabinet last night (Tuesday 6 August). The service changes will also include the withdrawal of soft, flimsy plastics such as bags, from the recycling service. Additionally, the recycling scheme will be expanded to include cartons, such as Tetra Pak.

http://www.welhat.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=5327

Offline chicken legs

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on: August 08, 2013, 06:56:37 pm »
Not taking cardboard because of the contamination makes sense, but why are they not taking flimsy plastic? 

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #79 on: August 08, 2013, 08:32:39 pm »
Interesting returns from our two polls. After a day of voting on the question of: "How full is your black landfill bin after two weeks?" We have the following:
  • Almost empty = 3 (18.8%)
  • A quarter full = 8 (50%)
  • Half full = 3 (18.8%)
  • Three quarters full = 1 (6.3%)
  • Full to overflowing = 1 (6.3%)
Similarly, after a day of voting on the question of: "How full are your recycling bins after two weeks?" We have the following:
  • Almost empty = 1 (5.3%)
  • A quarter full = 0 (0%)
  • Half full = 3 (15.8%)
  • Three quarters full = 5 (26.3%)
  • Full to overflowing = 10 (52.6%)
I am hoping/supposing that the person who has a full landfill bin and an empty recycling bin is either having a laugh, needs help, or made a mistake on the question, but, either way, it seems that...
  • 87.6% of those forum members who bothered to vote have landfill bins that are either almost empty, a quarter full or half full.
  • 94.7% of the forum members who bothered to vote have recycling bins that are half full, three quarters full or full to overflowing.
Of course these straw polls are not scientific, and clearly only representative of the local online community that is registered on our forum and bothered to vote, but, interesting none the less.

So, two questions 1) have I got my sums right [I am rubbish at sums], and, 2) why do we need an incinerator?

Offline chicken legs

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on: August 09, 2013, 10:11:22 am »
It's not a case of bothering to vote, David.  It was tricky because:
a)  The answer for our brown bin would be different from our blue bin (I know you sort of covered this but it's still complicated.)
b)   The answer for our brown bin would be different according to the season.
c)    Both answers vary so much, even from week to week.

I love voting, but this one was a step too far for me  :)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #81 on: August 09, 2013, 10:25:58 am »
It's not a case of bothering to vote, David.  It was tricky because:
a)  The answer for our brown bin would be different from our blue bin (I know you sort of covered this but it's still complicated.)
b)   The answer for our brown bin would be different according to the season.
c)    Both answers vary so much, even from week to week.

I love voting, but this one was a step too far for me  :)

Yes, the wording wasn't great. Sorry.

:(

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #82 on: August 16, 2013, 12:03:01 pm »
It seems that we are doing a fairly decent job of recycling, according to the totally non-scientific and unrepresentative poll of local residents who are forum members and who bothered to vote. The first question asked how full are your black landfill bins after two weeks. The second question was asking how full are your recycling bins after two weeks.  The polls are still open if you missed them. Just click on the link above or the relevant screen grabs of the results below. The grabs were taken at noon on Friday 16 August (note: the screen grabs below won't update if you vote in the poll, but the poll will. The grabs are just pictures).

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #83 on: September 06, 2013, 09:14:02 am »
I've received a new recycling timetable from Welhat council and it appears that from October the policy for plastic has changed.

It seems Tetrapak style cartons can now be accepted, however soft plastic, eg bags, cling film etc can't.

A large amount of what I put in the plastic recycling will now be going to landfill it seems.

I guess if it means the plastic that is collected will be more easily recycled or worth more then it's a good thing.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #84 on: September 06, 2013, 10:29:54 am »
I've received a new recycling timetable from Welhat council and it appears that from October the policy for plastic has changed.

Hi Sasquartch, I have merged your post with an existing thread on the issue which was first mentioned earlier on in the thread.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #85 on: September 06, 2013, 12:16:21 pm »
More details in the attached screen grab of this page.

http://www.welhat.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=5357

Offline JLC

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #86 on: September 06, 2013, 01:08:51 pm »
Am I reading it right that we now need to put cardboard in the blue/black bin and not the brown bin?

James

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #87 on: September 06, 2013, 01:18:38 pm »
Yes, I spotted that too.

I'd imagine lots of people aren't going to realise that

Offline BrookyP

• Expertises:
  • Sound Engineer
  • Ebay Power Seller
  • Audio/Visual Reclaim Specialist
« Reply #88 on: September 06, 2013, 02:41:44 pm »
judging by the amount of cardboard we get rid of the blue bin will not be big enough.

:o

Offline trekbat

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on: September 06, 2013, 02:55:13 pm »
On those occasions where people do find their bins overflowing with too much cardboard you may want to consider disposing of some of it in one of the local paper and cardboard recycling bins.

Welwyn Hatfield neighbourhood recycling centres
http://www.welhat.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=882

While it may be extra work you'll be helping the environment and keeping Council tax down as last year the council received income in excess of £300,000 from selling recyclable waste.

http://www.welhat.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=5355

Also, some supermarkets have containers for old batteries and Homebase has a container for old Britas water filters.

Tags: