Author Topic: Recycling household waste  (Read 56752 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Recycling household waste
« on: April 22, 2002, 05:46:48 pm »
According to Brookmans Park resident Ed Wright, a small village in Kent has found a way of dealing with household and garden waste while at the same time creating jobs, making money and improving the environment. Ed has written a feature for this site on the scheme and asks whether there could be some lessons here for Brookmans Park. Could this be one of the answer to garden bonfires and fly tipping?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2002, 10:55:18 pm by admin »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline anna

• Opinions on many things
Re: Recycling household waste
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2002, 07:53:31 pm »
That does sound like an excellent idea. Except I hate saying bags of rubbish left outside peoples houses. When I drive round here on Recycle pick up day, there are black bags and other shopping bags all over the place and it just looks awful. My friend who lives in a small village near Essex has boxes that are all different colours for different items and they too are picked up each week.

I know I would recycle a lot more if we had a better system. My problem is I don't have much storage space to keep things. And to go to the recycle bin with one bottle or one can, just isn't worth the bother, but I know in the long term that does mount up. I just can't store it here that easily, but if I knew someone was coming round each week, then I would certainly make an effort.  

The exchange idea sounds wonderful. We currently have a wonderful unit I need to get rid of, but no second hand place wants to buy it, and I'd have to pay someone to get rid of it which really goes against the grain, as its in perfect condition. I'd love it to go to a good home..........I will in fact contact some charities to see if they would like it.  

By the way, talking about recycling, has anyone heard the new rules about getting rid of fridges or freezers?? When you buy a new one, they are no longer allowed to take your old one, and your not allowed to dump it either. The only people who are allowed to take it are the council, (which you have to wait for!!!) but here's the stupid part.........the reason is because of some component that needs to be taken apart carefully, but we don't do it over here, that can only be done abroad, but they won't accept them from here........so we have a freezer mountain forming!!! Isn't that just mad.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2002, 08:04:15 pm »
I feel I must advise on fridge disposal question.
A colleage of mine has been involved in trying to build the first plant on British soil for several years in anticipation of the ruling by good old Brussels.
The EU is correct, these things must be properly decommissioned  and not dumped as now.
The problem has been that although private finance, technology and suitable companys have been interested, our Government has blocked this all the way!
We now have a plant being tendered for. The sad thing is that only a German Company has been found capable of providing the right system and as far as I am aware only German Financiars are willing to finance.
Tenders are being dealt with as we speak.
My friend is on the standing commitee so my information is reletively accurate.
The cost per fridge would be £1.50, at the moment they are sent abroad for disposal at £30.00 each courtesy of our rates!
Information given without prejudice, thought you would like to know.
regards
jet

Mary_Morgan

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2002, 08:31:50 pm »
It is an excellent idea, but there are a lot of buts.  

BP is bigger than Wye, and probably too big for it to work.

Can anyone think of a site for it.   No one is going to want it in their back yard.

Someone has got to have the enthusiasm that Mr Boden obviously has for this.  

I see in the Guardian article there is some ill feeling in Wye about this.

I must admit never to have been a good recycler at home - when you live on your own you do not really produce the quantities to keep different waste separated, and I would rarely get anywhere near filling my dustbin in a week.    I was however pretty good at taking garden rubbish to the tip.  Never had the patience to keep my eye on a bonfire until it burnt out.

Here, the rubbish all goes into one bin - and I have no idea where it is dumped, burnt or what.

I do think it is for the council to get their act together on providing boxes for separating waste.   Some councils do it better than others - Hertsmere is better than WelwynHatfield.  

Perhaps one of the things for the NMORA to follow up on is lobbying the Council to provide a better service.

I agree with Anna though, a lot of people do not have the space to store a variety of boxes for different sorts of waste.

My thoughts.

:D I would however miss the intelligent conversation round the bottle bank on a Sunday morning after a party!

Mary

Mary_Morgan

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2002, 08:36:54 pm »
Forgot to say two things:

I thought I read somewhere recently that the EU are planning to bring in a law that companies who produce electrical goods must also provide a facility to take back and dispose of defunct ones -  I think this is planned for quite far ahead in time, and will obviously mean a price hike in electrical goods for the companies to pay for the means of disposal.   Don't how they could impose it on the Japanese - presumably the main importers would have to take the burden.

Anna, as well as trying charities, try the Social Services Department at Hatfield.   They always like stuff for people in need, but I am not sure about big items.

Mary

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2002, 08:53:46 pm »
For those who are interested. Disposal of all manufactured goods will need to be payed for by the manufacturer. This of course will be paid for by the consumer.
This is not far off.
I hope it will be for altruistic reasons, but imagine the government will be having a slice of the cake somewhere. I.E. V.A.T. on the price of goods, I will clarify if goods go up 2% then 17.5% V.A.T. will be generated on that increase.
way of the world?
regards
jet

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2002, 08:56:16 pm »
Very easy to save bottles, paper etc and either take them to the dump with your garden refuse.
Alternatively to the supermarket, nearly everyone goes there once a week?
Problem solved, so easy.
Do it on passing, no cost,just tiny effort.
regards,
jet

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2003, 09:55:59 am »
A reminder that Welwyn Hatfield has again made arrangements for the recycling of most festive season waste including real Christmas trees and used Christmas cards. more details...
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2003, 10:00:47 am »
Interesting quote in a piece about reycycling on BBC News Online today, which might have some relevance to life in North Mymms, and Brookmans Park in particular.

;)

"A household whose car travels 40 miles per gallon (family saloon car) instead of only 20 miles per gallon (a typical 4-wheel drive) saves in one year the energy equivalent to recycling all of its glass bottles for 400 years," Dr Jan Kooijman.

:o

Click here for the full report.

Offline eric

• Opinions on some things
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2004, 10:50:48 am »
So given that the Brookmans Park Ward has:
~  one of the highest levels of car ownership per household in the country (> 2.5)
~  a very high preponderance of high performance/ value cars ...
it would seem that there'd be more "green" contribution (on a whole life cycle evaluation basis) if BP reduced their vehicles to one 1500cc car per household, than just continue with average recycling activities (eg  driving the booze bottles to the bottle bank, ... ) ?

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2004, 10:35:13 pm »
I noticed on an early morning stroll this morning that the red bottle bins were out for collection, and was able to do this myself when I returned home, but I have not yet received a note from the Council of this year's dates. Does anybody have these yet?

ATG
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2004, 10:42:21 pm »
Hi ATG,

You should have had a card through the door. It goes up to the end of September. I have just copied this from ours.

Mon Jan 5 = Glass
Mon Jan 12 = Paper
Mon Jan 26 = Paper & Compost
Mon Feb 2 = Glass
Mon Feb 9 = Paper
Mon Feb 23 = Paper & Compost
Mon Mar 1 = Glass
Mon Mar 8 = Paper
Mon Mar 22 = Paper & Compost
Mon Mar 29 = Glass
Mon Apr 5 = Paper
Mon Apr 19 = Paper & Compost
Mon Apr 26 = Glass
Sat May 8 = Paper
Mon May 17 = Paper & Compost
Mon May 24 = Glass
Sat Jun 5 = Paper
Mon Jun 14 = Paper & Compost
Mon Jun 21 = Glass
Mon Jun 28 = Paper
Mon Jul 12 = Paper & Compost
Mon Jul 19 = Glass
Mon Jul 26 = Paper
Mon Aug 9 = Paper & Compost
Mon Aug 16 = Glass
Mon Aug 23 = Paper
Mon Sep 6 = Paper & Compost
Mon Sep 13 = Glass
Mon Sep 20 = Paper

Cheers

David

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2004, 12:15:50 am »
This type of seperate collections for different materials is not in fact cost effective.
It is more efficient to collect all the waste together and separate it at purpose built recycling plants.
The whole thing is cosmetic and the councils are merely applying a year on year increase in recycling to satisfy the governments requirements in line with EU directives.
All very altruistic but not really very green.
It would be better if it was all collected by the bin men, skip contents included.
Of course that would not burn transport fuel (incuring tax) or raise levied cash (skips) would it.
Would it not be nice if just for once something was done for best practical result rather than camoflauged
"greenness"
regards,
jet

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2004, 11:27:20 pm »
Thanks for the information Dave. We didn't get the card so this is very useful.

ATG

Offline Eggysheggedra

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2004, 05:13:12 pm »
I've heard about the WyeCycle scheme and think it's a great idea.  I also came across an exchange scheme run by a couple in the UK at their local dump though can't remember the details off-hand.  I would be interested to get involved in anything similar that was to be set up in the BP area.  As for fridges, I know it's not v. convenient for people in this area but there's an excellent fridge recycling plant in Swindon run by a German company (again, don't have details to hand).

Offline NZer

• Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2004, 11:34:31 pm »
Here in Palmerston North, in NZ, we also recycle plastics (1 & 2 in separate bags), tin cans and aluminium cans.  Each category is placed in separate supermarket bag or bags and put out every week.  It seems to work out fine - except on very windy days if one forgets to weigh down the plastic!!

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2004, 10:00:08 am »
Nice story in the Welwyn Hatfield Times about children at St Mary's School, North Mymms,  winning a recycling prize. Click here

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2004, 07:40:34 pm »
Yesterday was a good day for a trip to the dump. I knew it was a bad idea after encountering a fire engine in the narrow bit of hawkshead, however I digress.
Having got to the dump I realised it was shut for skip removal, then I realised i had gone to in front of a dozen others waiting, so it was a complex manouvre but I soon got out of the way, folowed by 30 others who made the same mistake. All to the amusement of the council wallers. Anyway 30 mins later I gave up, the queue was 50 cars and the antics were a picture.
All because of some dopey H & S directive. The place is full of placards, you can't do this, you can't do that. Right in the middle is a flat bed lorry with hiab unloading obviously commercial quantities of trees into the compost skip ( nothing over a a large branch) well they were putting in whole trees. How do I know well one fell on my head, 20ft! no damage of course.
So here we are stupidity and danger beyond belief, the signs mean nothing, just more cost to the taxpayer to buy them and stick them up. There is now a skip for everything, its all so complex. Just like the eu.
regards,
jet
No wonder people dump in the lanes!

Offline shads

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2004, 02:15:23 pm »
i went to the tip on Monday,and what made me smile was the all the placards on the big Containers saying "No Plastics",which was fine until i looked for one saying "Plastics Only"..........however to my amazement there wasn't one..........so i asked one of the workers you just told me to stick it the general domestic rubbish skip which had a placard on it saying.........you guessed it "No Plastics".....................Amazing

Offline Aqila

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2006, 11:36:15 am »
I've been trying to find a charity that will take laser printer toner cartidges for recycling.  Unfortunately they all require a minimum of 6 to 8 before they will collect, and won't accept any by post.  Since we only use about 1 a year this could take a long time, and take up a lot of space!

Has anyone else found another way of recycling these cartridges?

Failing that would anyone be interested in pooling "resources" on this?  I would be happy to arrange a collection from my house if we have enough cartridges to go.  Due to recent household merge we have not a spare inch in the house at the moment, so I'm afraid I can not offer to store them.  But if you have (or know you will have an empty cartridge in the next couple of months), please contact me on this forum and once we have 6 I will arrange a collection by Oxfam. I will them collect them from you the day before (or you can drop them off to me). 

Please note I am NOT referring to the small ink jet cartridges which can be recycled by post.  The laser toner cartridges are normally more than 30cm long.  They can only take "virgin" cartridges that have not previously been recycled.  Please visit the Oxfam website to check if your cartridge is recyclable.  http://www.oxfam.org.uk/what_you_can_do/recycle/toner.htm          Not all the latest models are listed so you can also call 01873 859901 to chack if your cartridge is OK.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 10:35:55 pm by Aqila »

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2006, 01:18:11 pm »
Have you thought about having the empty cartridges refilled?  They will do one at a time.

There is a shop in Potters Bar where I have mine refilled at a lot cheaper cost than getting a new one, even a compatible one.  So far I have had no problems.  My laser printer is a Brother, but they appear to refill all, or most, makes.  Next day service.

I see that I now qualify for the description of 'opinions on everything'.  Not true - despite being slightly pre-war (second not first!) there is an aweful lot I do not know about.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 01:21:05 pm by Bob Horrocks »

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2006, 09:57:41 pm »
I would like to second Bob on this, I had the misfortune to buy a very cheap laser printer of a well known brand in January, but not only did the cartridge supplied only print about 500 sheets, but the only replacement I could find on the web cost more than the priinter!! So I used the soldering iron to make a hole in the cartridge where I thought the toner should be, got an old toner refill from an ancient laser (you know, the ones which put your back out when you try to lift them), tipped in a goodly amount (in the garden to save breathing in the dust) and then sealed up the hole with masking tape. Works a treat. Don't try to make the hole with a drill, that puts loads of plastic filings into the mix and gums up the drum unit. If you don't have an old toner refill you can buy bottles from some shops, maybe the PB shop sells them.

ATG

Offline Neville Hobbs

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2006, 08:34:40 am »
I once had a cheating colour laser printer to print property details. The printer would stop printing when it thought that one of the colour cartridges was empty. What did the printer really know? My guess is that it was programmed to run a certain no of copies and then ask for a new toner cartridge. Out of interest and meaness, one day I opened up a cartridge and found about a cupfull of toner was left. Fortunately, these cartridges had a pull out plastic plug on the side of them so I was able to shake out all the residue toner and put it in the new one to make it last longer - a lot longer!! I never had any problems at all except moans and bad comments from my toner supplier.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 08:38:13 am by Neville Hobbs »

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2006, 09:39:09 am »
Similarly, albeit on a humbler level, my computer flashes up messages saying that the inkjet cartridges in my printer need replacing. If I ignore these messages and only replace the cartridges when the ink actually runs out, I double - yes double - the life of the cartridges!

Offline peppermint

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2006, 02:01:55 pm »
I have had the same problem, my printer has been flashing a warning for the past six months!!!  but the printer still keeps on printing.   On a similar tact, I took my car in for a service and was told that the brake pads had 60% wear on them and it was suggested that I should have them replaced.   They had been on the car for two years which would suggest that they still had at least one years wear left on them.  When I questioned their advice the service manager told me that their brake pads are effective and safe to at least 95% wear.   I suspect these companies are just trying their luck on the unsuspecting public.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 10:20:27 pm by peppermint »

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2006, 08:45:33 pm »
I have collected a large number of toner cartridges and ink cartridges and given them to the Primary School. I'm not sure how much money they've raised but it is a useful amount I'm told.

If anyone has any cartridges they wish to dispose of they can be placed in the collection box at the school outside the school office - alternatively if they have no connection with the school I'd be happy to collect if local - please instant message me if interested.

Offline barnabus

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2006, 06:07:22 pm »

My old inkjet printer is giving up the ghost so I was looking for a colour laser printer that would do the job (recommendations would be welcome for home use). I was looking at the Oki 3200n - anyone got one of those? Are they any good?

One of the reviews I read recommended the following site to buy toner and reflill the old cartridges:

http://www.refilltoner.com

I have no knowledge of how good they are or any interest in the business - but why not re-use rather than get rid of them? 

Just a thought

Barnabus

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2006, 09:03:06 pm »
I don't know much about Oki laser printers, but HP toners consist of the entire drum and transfer unit as well as the toner itself. That's one of the reasons why the quality is consistently good, but running costs high.

Experience I've had with using refilled cartridges has been mixed, the most common problem being toner leakage which can cause the whole printer to be contaminated with toner. I've always felt the quality has been short compared with genuine HP parts. That's only a subjective view though, maybe I've just been unlucky.

One brand of printer which has always promoted low running costs is Kyocera, although I don't know if they do a suitable model for low volume home use. Most cheap laser printers seem to be sold with 'starter' toners which won't last very long before you have to buy new consumables, often almost as much as the cost of the printer itself. Definitely something any prospective purchaser would be well advised to investigate before buying.

Offline barnabus

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2006, 05:11:13 am »
Thanks for that I was not aware that there was a difficulty in refilling toner units for HP machines. Looking at the website previously mentioned they appear to provide a tool to effectively burn a hole in the unit whihc looks a bit like a soldering iron (and then presumably a cap to seal it after the operation) which it allows it to be refilled without affecting the drum - as Alfred seemed to do without ill effect. I suppose if it is not completely airtight then it could leak.  The difference in cost between new and refilled units appears to be marked. I wonder what others experince is on this.

Thanks for the tip on Kyocera. Their machines appear to start at about £1000 (which is really beyond the economic cost for home use) while the Oki 3200 is about £170 which leads me to think if it is that cheap can it be any good? (although it has very good reviews and we use a bigger model at work which appears to perform well) - should I just stick to inkjet printers and forget laser printing (as it is only for home use)?  Again advice would be very welcome.

Mind you injet cartridges are not cheap unless they are refills. A full set of refills for the OKi unit are either £134 plus VAT for 1,500 copy size or £193 plus VAT for 3000 size - the starter ones are apparently not refillable (HP units do not appear any cheaper)  This efectively pushes the price up to £370 which is pretty expensive for home use - do you agree?   

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2006, 08:19:00 am »
The borough is considering introducing ten new recycling facilities for dealing with plastic bottles and containers.

The plan is to locate them at existing recycling points where there is space.

Click here for more.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 08:38:18 am by David Brewer »

Tags: