Author Topic: Brookmans Park forum updates automating to Facebook and Twitter  (Read 2269 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Brookmans Park forum updates automating to Facebook and Twitter
« on: January 10, 2012, 07:37:11 am »
I am testing a new service that should automatically publish all forum discussions on the Brookmans Park Newsletter's Facebook page and send out a tweet via the site's Twitter account @bpnewsletter

The reason for doing this is that some people might prefer to discuss local issues on Facebook rather than here while others might prefer Twitter. This new service should enable them to do both.

It's set to update both Facebook and Twitter every half hour sending out the latest three posts.

Not sure it will work, but giving it a go. If this post appears on our Facebook page and as a tweet it's worked.

:)
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: Brookmans Park forum updates automating to Facebook and Twitter
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 08:03:20 am »
Update on the above for users of the Brookmans Park Newsletter Facebook page

Technically the new system worked fine for both Twitter and Facebook. However, the Twitter feed simply repeated the forum title thread (sometimes several times if the topic has been updated several times since the last update), which isn't great. The text tweeted doesn't update the discussion (although the link does) and it looks a bit like spam, so I have turned that one off. 

The Facebook feed has been set to include the latest content, which should be more useful for those who want to continue the discussions on the Facebook page. The first two examples on our  Facebook page were updated before I set it to include the complete text of the latest post.

Will continue to monitor.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 09:13:05 am »
Another update...

Looks like the feed of forum discussions through to our Facebook page is working well.  Here is a grab of the latest update.

This means that anyone who has clicked the 'like' button on our Facebook box on the front page of this site, or on the page itself, will get updates to their Facebook page.  (If you don't want them you can hide them).

Where this will be useful to some is that if you access Facebook on your smartphone you will get updates of the latest discussions including issues with road, rail, weather, schools etc - from the messages posted by others in the forum.

And, if you prefer to discuss those issues on Facebook rather than in the forum, you now have that option.

I have set it to update every 30 mins.  I could set it for every hour, two hours and so on, but I figured that would miss urgent stuff, such as traffic info.

And a reminder, if you are following our Facebook page you can hide the updates if you don't want them (and switch them on again if you change your mind).

David

Offline Aidan Winwood

• Opinions on most things
  • Oh pish posh.  Release the Hounds.
    • GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
  • Video Games (professionally)
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 07:23:05 pm »
Hi David,

Now that posts are going through to Twitter / Facebook; I am wondering whether, if we add @XXXXXX and hashtags (#XXXXXXX) to our post titles, will they will be pulled through into Twitter and appear as embedded links within the @bpnewsletter stream?

An example of use could be me adding @hertspolice and @BPNHW to the title of each OWL message that I upload to the Neighbourhood Watch area of the forum, thus ensuring that they are picked up through Twitter search.

Cheers,
A

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 07:02:20 pm »
Hi Aidan,  they would for Twitter, but I have turned off the auto tweet to Twitter because it was starting to look like spam with a message going out with the same title for every forum update. The content from the link would be different, but the tweet would be repetitive and start to annoy. Best solution is for you to tweet every OWL post you make and, if I see it, I can retweet.

David

Tags: