Author Topic: Facebook Like, Twitter and Google + buttons added to all posts  (Read 3177 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Facebook Like, Twitter and Google + buttons added to all posts
« on: January 01, 2012, 01:14:52 pm »
I've added a Facebook Like, Twitter and Google + button to the bottom of every post. Now, if you want to continue the discussion with friends on your preferred social networking site you just click the box and add a comment.

David
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 01:25:28 pm by David Brewer »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • Forum Member
Re: Facebook Like, Twitter and Google + buttons added to all posts
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 12:00:12 pm »
I've added a Facebook Like, Twitter and Google + button to the bottom of every post. Now, if you want to continue the discussion with friends on your preferred social networking site you just click the box and add a comment.

David

David, I am still unable to see any of these features when I'm logged in (as I said on a previous thread HERE) although if I log out and view as a guest, I can then see the features.  Also, I am unable to see the flags and expertise features when logged in but can as a guest. 
I know James and yourself had a look at this in the past but I don't think either of you found any answers.
 ???

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 02:35:06 pm »
David, I am still unable to see any of these features when I'm logged in (as I said on a previous thread HERE) although if I log out and view as a guest, I can then see the features.  Also, I am unable to see the flags and expertise features when logged in but can as a guest. 
I know James and yourself had a look at this in the past but I don't think either of you found any answers.
 ???

Hi Angel, 

I wonder if it might be your internet security settings?  Have you got Norton with it set to high? 

I have just tested logged on  and logged off and so has my wife and all is showing fine. I have attached a screen grab below of what your post should look like to you. You have set your country to England, it appears, and all the social media buttons are showing fine.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 03:28:56 pm »
Hi David
I've sent you a couple of PMs.

It's all sorted now  :)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 04:04:43 pm »
Thanks Angel, no idea how you did that, but well done. Have PMd you to find out how you changed the template.  I know we did have the option but I can't find it now.

::)

Anyway, it seems that the various template may have been causing problems for some, so I have reset all members to the latest default template. Apologies in advance if it's not the colour you are used to, but it should mean that you will benefit from all the latest features and updates.

David

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 04:43:28 pm »
Anyway, it seems that the various template may have been causing problems for some, so I have reset all members to the latest default template.

David

I've just looked at the various themes and it says two people are using the illustrative theme.

This link might help - HERE

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 05:10:41 pm »
Thanks Angel, I have now reset all to the default and disabled the other themes because they are not compatible with the recent forum updates, which means that users set for those themes will miss out on features. It also means that others don't have to struggle to figure out how to change their settings - it might be that not all are as smart as you.

:)

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 06:37:31 pm »
Thanks!!
 :)

Offline Aidan Winwood

• Oh pish posh.  Release the Hounds.
    • GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
  • Video Games (professionally)
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 06:04:55 pm »
Hi Dave,

Just tried to tweet from the button on Tumblidoo's post on the Enterprise Club and it doesn't seem to have come with a '1' next to the tweet?

A

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 07:19:11 pm »
Hi all, I have removed these after a forum user suggested they might be slowing pages down when they load. Since removing the buttons I think the discussion threads are loading much faster. If you want to tweet or Facebook like any threads please grab the thread address and take it over to Twitter and Facebook manually. Sorry about it slowing page load times.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 07:57:14 pm »
Yes, the forum was very slow loading the facebook and twitter elements, especially on my work network.

So I welcome their removal  ;D

Tags: