Author Topic: Re: CHANCELLOR'S 40TH ANNIVERSARY GALA  (Read 9967 times)

John_fraser

Re: CHANCELLOR'S 40TH ANNIVERSARY GALA
« on: April 23, 2004, 03:52:07 pm »
†Renew past and present friends

Will the past 'friends' in BP who helped keep the school open be welcome? I only ask because their children and grandchildren aren't.

Offline Margaret

• Opinions on many things
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2004, 06:49:44 pm »
Well said John

AgentOrange

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2004, 11:53:45 am »
I see the London Borough of Camden has to take pupils into its secondary schools based on proximity to the school alone, regardless of whether or not the pupil lives inside the borough. It's a pity such sense does not prevail here.

Given the life threatening chaos that Chancellors generates at school run time and the total disregard for local residents by staff, parents and pupils, maybe it's time to start a campaign for its closure. When it served the local community - the benefits outweighed the problems. This is no longer the case.

CLOSE CHANCELLORS NOW AND SAVE THE ENVIRONMENT!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2004, 11:54:07 am by AgentOrange »

Dept_S

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2004, 12:16:56 pm »
No chance of any support here !!!!! >:(

Offline Margaret

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2004, 01:43:17 pm »
How sad that people like myself who have always supported Chancellors, including waving 'Save Chancellors' placards outside county hall and supporting all fund raising events etc. should feel so let down that they would consider supporting it's closure. Come on Chancellors, one of the things that made you so popular was your community spirit, what has happened to it. Why are we making our children spend so much of their short childhood travelling unecessarily. Us 'grown up's' don't like travelling to and from work so why are we so keen to make our children do it?

AgentOrange

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2004, 10:55:39 am »
Dept_S,
Try asking the the local population who do not send their children to Chancellors, who do not have children, or are retired and did not send their children to Chancellors but have to put up with the arrogance, rudeness and downright dangerous behaviour of the staff, pupils and the parents!

The blind assumption that anyone driving up Pine Grove is going to Chancellors has nearly cost me amd my family their lives on more than one occasion. The vast number of TEENAGE UNDERAGE SMOKERS and other illicit lewd behaviour that cannot be mentioned on this website is an embarrasement to Chancellors and to their supporters.

If the school supported the local community, maybe OK. It has forfeited such support. Time for Chancellors to go to a more urban location where the pupils obviously feel they fit in, somewhere like South Hatfield.

Maybe its time for a residents demonstration at this gala complete with supporting photographs and the local press in attendance!

TIME FOR CHANCELLORS TO CLOSE!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2004, 06:25:40 pm by AgentOrange »

John_fraser

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2004, 10:46:42 pm »
I think you may have an idea here. Consider the following: Chancellorís readily admits that it does not see itself as part of Brookmans Park. Instead, it claims to be part of the ďcommunity of feeder schools.Ē Some go further and get the impression that Chancellorís is hostile to Brookmans Park. The school is over subscribed and every year children are turned away. Meanwhile it sits on a large area of land, which is far more valuable than a comparable area in South Hatfield. If Chancellorís were to sell this land, it could move out of a village it appears to dislike and a large sum of money to allow it to expand and admit more children from all of its feeder schools each year.

Sadly jean has removed her original post. Anyone remember the details? It might be nice to wave a placard.

Offline supersonic

• Yabba-dabba-doo
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2004, 03:49:04 am »
How disappointing that Jean has chosen to remove her post rather than acknowledge the concerns of the community and take the opportunity to enter into a constructive dialog about the views that have been expressed.

supersonic

Offline Cassie

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2004, 11:15:20 am »

Sadly jean has removed her original post. Anyone remember the details? It might be nice to wave a placard.

It was about the summer event (PTA) that is taking place on July 10th

Offline Arty Achilleos

• Opinions on some things
  • Call me to chat about PTA
    • Baboucha Hand Made Shoes
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2004, 05:43:58 am »
SO NO CHANCE OF MAKING UP A TABLE THEN?

OH WELL, YOU WON'T BE MISSED!!
;)

perry

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2004, 11:10:32 am »
Don't worry, some of us who worked at Chancellors through the closure period have not been invited to attend the "40th". That says something about the concept of loyalty!

John_fraser

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2004, 11:44:49 am »
SO NO CHANCE OF MAKING UP A TABLE THEN?

OH WELL, YOU WON'T BE MISSED!!
;)

I see that the open and inclusive nature of Chancellorís School and itís PTA continues. What a fine example they give of valuing the community. Always happy to have our money but not our children.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2004, 11:45:37 am by John_fraser »

Offline SUNSET

• Opinions on a couple of things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2004, 02:46:13 pm »

I have just registered as a forum user for the first time because I feel that there are a large number of parents in the village who support Chancellors and send our children there - but would like some changes to the admissions policy.

Our son got in after a couple of awful months on the waiting list - despite living at the Chancellors end of Moffats Lane. We well appreciate the stress of waiting to hear - and even not getting in and the upset that causes. Some close friends in the village have had to send their kids to private schools as a result.

As a supporter of Chancellors - but also I would say a critical friend - I don't feel the outright hostility of a few should be seen as the view of everyone in the village. The school still provides a great education to many of our children. The PTA is supported by many local parents and other residents.

However, there is a growing resentment of the admissions policy and I would urge the governors not to ignore local feelings. The school does rely hugely on local goodwill and support. Surely there could be a middle way - as now adopted by Owens - which allocates places first to siblings but then allows around  60 children places on location and then allocates the other places to feeder schools etc.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2004, 11:33:57 pm »
If Owens can have a sensible admissions policy that supports the local community, why can't Chancellors ??

I agree entirely with the comments that Chancellors is more than happy to take from the community but reluctant to support it in return.

perry

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2004, 10:33:12 am »
Arty - I spat my beer out when I read your reply. Certainly made me chuckle. Maybe we could have a non-40th celebration elsewhere!

Offline southbury

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2004, 02:07:14 pm »
Excuse my naivety here but one of the reason we moved to BP was based on the assumption that as the village had a primary and secondary school our children would be able to go to decent but equally as importantly local state schools. Can anyone define the Chancellors admissions policy in a nut-shell for me ?

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2004, 02:15:20 am »
The actual admissions policy, as it was defined five years ago, is listed in the site old news section here:

http://www.brookmans.com/news/admissions.shtml

It used to be the case that pupils attending Brookmans Park school had their own criteria above the other local primary schools. Now this has changed, which in effect means that Brookmans Park is no different from anyone of the 20 or so other local primary schools Chancellors draws from - so you're just as likely to get into Chancellors if you live in Hatfield and attend Howe Dell school.

James
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline southbury

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2004, 12:44:28 pm »
thanks James.. that does seema little bizarre. Does that mean that as many children from the village go to Owens or Mount Grace as go to Chancellors ?

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2004, 02:48:45 pm »
Not at the moment, because a lot of the children at the village school get in to Chancellors on the sibling rule. As time goes on, the proportion is naturally going to drop as there are less older brothers and sisters at chancellors. I believe (although please correct me someone if I'm wrong) that only 2 children from Brookmans Park School Year 6 went to Mount Grace last year.

This year it is not known yet as there are still a few parents appealing against the decisions with the schools adujacator. Some have also (I believe) decided to send their children private instead.

James
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Tags: