Author Topic: Solved: Site's email and notification system upgraded and improved  (Read 3639 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Hi,

It seems that the email notifications of messages or topic updates may not be working properly. It could be because we have just moved to a new server. We are looking into it but because of the demands of the festive season we may not get it sorted right away. Sorry about that. Please check the site and your personal messages in the meantime to be sure not to miss anything. We hope to get it fixed in the week between xmas and the new year.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: Solved: Site's email and notification system upgraded and improved
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 08:07:05 am »
Hi all,

Still trying to get to the bottom of this. It seems that the email notifications that are usually sent out when a topic you are following is updated or when you get a private message are not working.

Has anyone had email notifications in the last two weeks? 

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 07:19:57 am »
Just to keep everyone updated, we are still working on this. I have manually approved the outstanding 11 registrations and mailed all from my personal account. However I don't know if those registration will have been completed because of the email problem.

Just a reminder, email notifications when threads you are following are updated or when you are sent a private message are currently not getting through.

James and I are trying to find a fix. Apologies.  The rest of the forum is working fine.

David

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 05:30:35 pm »
I think we may have fixed the problem. Thanks to Luke at Positive Internet for all his help, to James for checking the code, and to all forum users for your patience.  Hopefully the notifications for personal messages and updated forum topics are all working as they should now.

David

Offline chicken legs

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 02:56:53 pm »
David, I have never received notification when I have a personal message.  Have to rely on catching site of the number in brackets at the top of the page.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 03:09:06 pm »
David, I have never received notification when I have a personal message.  Have to rely on catching site of the number in brackets at the top of the page.

Hi Chicken Legs,

I have just checked your profile and you don't have notifications turned on either for personal messages or for forum post updates. To turn them on please do the following.

For forum post notifications
  • Click on your name
  • Click on 'Modify Profile'
  • In the drop down list click on 'Notifications'
  • Check the box "Turn notification on when you post or reply to a topic" - if you want that
  • Scroll down to "Change profile" and click
  • All done

For personal message notifications
  • Click on your name
  • In the drop down list click on 'Personal Messaging'
  • Check the box "Notify by email every time you receive a personal message:" - if you want that
  • All done

While you are fiddling with your profile you can add your expertise

Add your expertise
  • Click on your name
  • Click on 'Forum Profile'
  • Fill in the expertise fields
  • All done

Let me know if you get stuck.

David

Offline chicken legs

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 11:35:56 pm »
So simple when you know how.  Thank you, David

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 08:50:08 am »
I have changed the title of this thread because the issues caused by the site being moved to a new server recently have been resolved.

Thanks to the team at The Positive Internet Company for their hard work and to this site's volunteers who helped dealt with a few minor technical issues.

The site will now be faster and more reliable due to the server upgrade.

Offline chicken legs

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 10:46:50 pm »
Hi David

My profile is set to receive notification every time I receive a personal message "Always" but I'm still not being notified.  Any further advice, please?

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 06:47:29 am »
Hi David

My profile is set to receive notification every time I receive a personal message "Always" but I'm still not being notified.  Any further advice, please?

Hi,

I have just gone into your profile, changed the email address to mine, and tested by sending you a personal message.  Seconds later I received an email notification, so the system is working. All I can think is that your email address might be out of date or the notifications are going into your spam folder.  Would you mind doing three things please.
  • Check the email address you have in your profile to make sure it is correct and still active, if it is an old out-of-date account, pleases change it to the account you are currently using
  • If the email address is correct (it is a Hotmail address), please check your spam folder to see if the notifications are in there
  • If they are, please adjust your email spam settings to allow mails from this site.
To check the email address set in your profile please go to account settings, check the address, change it if it is out of date, scroll down the page and click change profile and then send yourself a test PM.

I am going to send out a note to all forum members to see how many bounce back as unused email addresses.

By the way, I have moved your post to this thread about notifications.

David

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 07:13:09 am »
I just posted a message to all forum users.  As a result I have so far had automated replies saying that the email addresses (used by more than 30 registered forum members) are no longer active. 

Would all forum users please check your profile's account settings and make sure your email address is up to date. If the email address used in the forum is no longer active you will not receive notifications when you have been sent a personal message or when forum discussion threads you are following are updated.

Thanks

David
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 07:26:16 am by David Brewer »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 07:06:01 am »
If you find you are not getting email notifications of personal messages or posts you are following, please do the following.

It could be your email settings
  • Up-to-date email address: Check you have a current email address in your forum profile.  Log on, click profile, click account settings, check email address
  • Email spam settings: Check your email's spam settings and make sure mails from this site are not being sent there. If they allow those mails to get through.
Are notifications turned on?
  • Forum post notifications: Make sure you have the notifications box checked in your profile. Log on, click profile, below you will see modify profile, click on the notifications tab, check the box if you want an email ever time a topic you are following is updated - remember, if you do this you will get an email when any post you have contributed to is updated (note, you can do this for individual posts rather than all by checking the notify tab at the bottom of any topic you are following)
  • Personal message notifications:  Log on, click profile, below you will see modify profile, click on the personal messages tab, select from one of the three personal message notification options - the setting 'always' is probably best if you don't want to miss anything

Tags: