Author Topic: Railway Fence  (Read 5148 times)

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
Railway Fence
« on: March 26, 2004, 01:05:57 pm »
I see there is a fence going up around the railway on both sides to the North of the station.
Does anyone know how far this will extend to ? Is this to improve security because of possible terrorist action ?
It suits me because it improves security for houses in Peplins Way backing onto the railway.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2004, 12:22:49 pm by sasquartch »

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
Re: Railway Fence
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2004, 01:08:57 pm »
Sorry to worry you but its to keep the inmates in, not the baddies out :) :) :) :)
regards,
jet

Offline trinity

• Opinions on many things
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2004, 12:20:16 am »
Nope. I'm afraid you only get dirty great big antiterrorist walls and fences and so on if you're an MP.

Low-end nonparliamentaries like thee and me can go and get stuffed.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2004, 02:03:25 pm »
Fencing up to 2m high (I think) does not require planning permission, and there has not been any application for this fencing.  

I preferred the thick prickly bushes as a deterant (1 or 2 'R's?) against vandals.

Offline Johnny Redd

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2004, 01:32:15 am »
Sasquartch,

A letter from Network Rail is in circulation to those who in Peplins have made enquiries, stating that the fencing along the railway has been inspected and that their "maintenance contractor has produced a renewal proposal" which "is programmed for completion before the end of April 2004".

I guess this means we will all have the metal fencing???

Offline trinity

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2004, 02:35:46 am »
I preferred the thick prickly bushes as a deterant (1 or 2 'R's?) against vandals.

There is a bush called a "Worcesterberry", that is a sort of cross between a bramble and a gooseberry. It grows with 1/2" long, *very* sharp thorns in great profusion and should thoroughly sort out any scum that tries to gain illicit entry.

The berries are delicious, too. Highly recommended.

Offline john

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2004, 11:40:12 am »
As I understand it, the railway authority is going to replace all of its fencing with a standard galvanised railing system because of the issue of unauthorised access on to the railway lines:   the thrust being that this expensive, visually intrusive stuff has to go in because trespassershave to be protected from themselves ...

As with various privatised former public services, legislation hasn't been tweaked to match so there are quite a number of exemptions from the necessity to get planning and other consents ...

(all seems rather the "wrong way round" ... ?)

Offline trinity

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2004, 01:17:10 am »
 the thrust being that this expensive, visually intrusive stuff has to go in because trespassershave to be protected from themselves

Hmm. Lets say that the fence costs about GBP1000 a mile (probably *way* too low). And there are (according to Network Rail's web site) 21,000 miles of track. Each railway line has 2 sides, so that is GBP2000 per mile of track, or 42 million quid to do the lot.

A driver earns about 30K a year - and actually killing someone with a train makes such a mess that doing so can ruin a driver's career due to the psychological impact. So this stuff has to save 1,400 drivers to pay for itself. It isn't going to make a damned bit of difference to the trains running on time. Essentially, it is an admission that they *can* make the trains run on time no matter what they do, so they might as well spend the money on ugly montrosities like this fence.

Am I being unduly cynical ?  Or duly cynical because there is a "seen to be doing something" smell around here ?

John_fraser

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2004, 04:32:41 pm »
And there are (according to Network Rail's web site) 21,000 miles of track. Each railway line has 2 sides, so that is GBP2000 per mile of track, or 42 million quid to do the lot.

I think you may not  be using the correct definition of ďtrack.Ē A track is two bits of metal separated by sleepers i.e. there are four tracks going through Brookmans Park. So while there may be 21,000 miles of track, it will not require 42,000 miles of fence.

Kids will get over the fence to pay by the line and vandals wonít be stopped, so I canít see it doing much good, so I doubt you are being unduly cynical.

catbirder

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2004, 03:15:44 am »
As far as the fence running down the hill alongside the road is concerned, I assumed it was to prevent the possibility of a runaway vehicle ending up on the line.

Offline trinity

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2004, 03:25:48 am »

Kids will get over the fence to pay by the line and vandals wonít be stopped, so I canít see it doing much good, so I doubt you are being unduly cynical.

A few weeks ago I went to Leeds for a meeting - and took the train since said meeting was about 5 minutes away from the main station. Coming out of one place on the way up (it might have been Peterborough, I can't remember exactly), there was a fence running alongside the line, with one of those very ostentatious anti-climb tops (the sort that looks like sharp metal, but is probably made of recycled plastic). All well and good, except that this just finished by a field - nothing to stop anyone who wanted to get onto the line just walking round the fence.

Offline Oly

• Well, I say
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2004, 07:57:08 pm »
Ive heard this is to stop vandalism and suicides but all they need to do is go onto the platforms and walk down the line, or go down the line path, Pointless!!!

Why dont they fence the end of the platforms off and the side of the high speed lines+fence all the way along to the railway bridge

Tags: