Author Topic: A very unpleasant smell  (Read 4134 times)

Secularian

A very unpleasant smell
« on: August 06, 2011, 07:22:28 pm »
I have scanned a couple of topics and have not seen this current discussion anywhere, so I apologise if it is already being discussed somewhere else that I have not yet looked...

but,

Does anyone know where this extremely pungent and thoroughly unwanted smell, that is drifting from a north westerly direction, originates?

Its akin to either sewage or manure and it seems to cover the entirety of WG and is first noticed as you come over the rail bridge into Welham Green from the east and as you approach Potterels from the south.

Its truly horrendous and is making people feel quite ill.

Offline memsal9

• Opinions on some things
Re: A very unpleasant smell
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 11:45:56 pm »
Yes, noticed it on Thursday and Friday whilst leaving WG station. They haven't gone and built that dammed incenerator already have they!

Offline Welli G

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 07:35:08 am »
I noticed this too. Thought it was just me, but then I noticed it again as I came home from work. As you say, it starts just as you come over the bridge. It reminds me of hot bins. Ugh.

Offline epiphany

• Opinions on most things
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 09:12:45 am »
Does anyone know where this extremely pungent and thoroughly unwanted smell, that is drifting from a north westerly direction, originates?

I think you will find it comes from what is commonly known as the countryside!

Driving back from Birmingham on Friday night I frequently encountered pockets of the same
smell along the M6 & M1.

Because it was dark I could not see what crop it was but have smelt the same smell in the
cabbage fields of France.

I think that possibly the heat can exacerbate the smell?

Offline Bedlam

• Opinions on many things
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 04:01:51 pm »
Have the local farms been slurry spraying? ??? That stinks real bad.

Offline Beppy

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 05:56:39 pm »
Has oilseed rape been harvested recently?  That gives off a real rotting cabbage smell, especially as its been raining and is warm.

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • BP born and bred
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 06:04:02 pm »
Field to left of Dixons Hill Road, before one crosses the A1(M) that field has recently had 'muck' spread on it, leaving a very strong smell. Hopefully todays rain will dampen this. A 'pleasure of living in rural Brookmans Park' that we have to endure the 'smell of the countryside'.  ;)

If people are particularly concerned, the following link and its advice may be of use: http://www.pollutionissues.co.uk/bad-smells-law.html

Secularian

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 08:48:53 pm »

I have lived in the village now for around 8 years and have never come across this particular odour with such intensity before. But I do believe as you say Beppy that the recent hot days timed with a bit or rain, a bit of harvesting and/or a bit of spreading and other such variables, probably have created "the perfect pong".

And as you say, it is the countryside after all and hence why I moved out of London for it, therefore cannot complain too much!!!

I'd rather have a pong over living in a polluted, intolerably crime ridden city. 

Thanks all

Offline Welli G

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 09:05:12 pm »
Well said Sec.

Offline boyo

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 11:56:50 pm »
Dear SEC, havin lived in BP for 12 years and travelled the length of our country, this is a common smell for this time of the year, slurry sprayed onto our fields!!. it's natural and organic and what you ultimately eat!, it's called luckily living on the edge of the countryside and not in london where riots are happenning as i write, embrace where you live, think of the reasons why you chose to live here and try not to change things to the area you have escaped from!

Offline Liqourice

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 08:32:59 am »
I woke up this morning and came outside  and smelt a distincitve rotten egg smell

Phil_Holm

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 01:56:43 pm »
Have you thought about reducing your protein intake?  Particularly late at night perhaps ??

Offline watfordfc

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 02:08:00 pm »
I have heard they had been using animal parts to fertilise the fields around us . Its a new method used by farmers who have the animles slaughtered and then spread the unused or left over body parts around the field . its all about re cycling and organic growth . Not only do they use the whole animal , the left overs parts make great fertiliser for the vegetables grown . It will smell for a while, but once the maggotts break down the fleash , teh smell subsides.

Hope that answers your question

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 06:23:36 pm »
Are you sure? fish blood and bone are reduced to a fine dust after drying!
Never heard of body parts chucked on the field. They would just rot away.

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2011, 07:28:48 pm »
Never heard of body parts chucked on the field. They would just rot away.

Or be eaten by foxes? Maybe it's time for the Beast of Brookmans Park to make a re-appearance   :icon_jokercolor:

Tags: