Author Topic: Welham Green Youth Skate Park Group  (Read 18837 times)

Offline Peter Hastings

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
Welham Green Youth Skate Park Group
« on: March 21, 2011, 09:09:46 pm »
A few people from Welham Green, including Sam Griffin our PCSO and supported by the Borough Council are looking at the possibility of building a skate park. We have interest from residents including young people themselves as well as local industry.

We are having an initial meeting on Friday 1st April 2011 at 7.30

The meeting will be the North Mymms Youth and Community Centre and all are welcome from Welham Green and the whole Parish.

Any queries do let me know.

Peter Hastings.

Online peppermint

• Forum Member
Re: Welham Green Youth Skate Park Group
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 11:00:19 pm »
Hi Peter,

I noticed that the meeting is on a Friday evening at 7.30pm.  I know that many of the local young people who would be interested in a skate park actually go to Pioneer Indoor Skate Park in St. Albans on a Friday evening.

Peppermint

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 08:57:34 am »
And North Mymms Youth Project is also on a Friday evening - again many people that might be interested.

Offline North Mymms Youth Project

• Opinions on some things
  • North Mymms Youth Project
    • North Mymms Youth Project
  • Expertises:
  • Running activities for young people aged 9-16
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 09:55:55 am »
We have been in contact with the development officer from Welwyn Hatfield Council about this as we had an email from him, and have invited him down to the Youth Project either before or after his meeting to talk to the Project members.

Peter - the email we received said the meeting was at 7pm - can you clarify?
North Mymms Youth Project
www.nmyouth.org.uk - 01707 444420

Offline LMS

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 12:29:03 pm »
The proposed plot of land , as mentioned in the original e mail, is the disused area of land between Dixons Hill Road and Puttocks Drive.
Due to the proximity of houses in Puttocks Drive and Barfolds I feel that this would not be suitable for a skate park. I am not anti youth, this is their village as well, I am all for providing them with somewhere to take part in these activities, but this is not the right one. Land near to the Youth & Community Centre must surely be more suitable, but I did hear a rumour that this was 'too far away from the centre of the village for them to walk to'. Maybe something could be put in at the Recreation Ground, near to the playground.
Some people may remember that the Welham Green Brownies used to meet at their hut on this very plot of land - they were forced to cease their meetings due to the appalling behaviour of the local youth - interrupting the meetings, banging on the doors & windows and generally terrorising the Brownies and their leaders. If this sort of behaviour was repeated the local (some fairly elderly) residents might well be subjected to similar treatment.
I believe that the skate park would be locked when not in use, I can't imagine any lock will keep a disappointed young person out if he/she is determined to skate, locks certainly didn't keep people from breaking into the Brownie Hut and vandalising the equipment stored there.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 01:50:51 pm »
Young people who want to use a skate park for skateboarding etc currently make the effort to travel from Brookmans Park/Welham Green to the Skate Park in Potters Bar, Pioneer in St Albans or even further afield.

If young people are saying they cannot be bothered to go half a mile from their house that suggests to me they are not interested in using a skate park for skateboarding, they just want somewhere to meet.

What happened to the youth shelter in Welham Green built a few years ago?

Whilst I support the idea of a skate park in the local area, I share several concerns of LMS that the particular location being discussed would not be appropriate for that purpose.

James
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 05:51:17 pm »
The youth shelter adjacent to the football field off Dellsome Lane/ Bushwood Close is apparently under-used because there is no hard-surfaced path to it.  So footwear can get a bit muddy!  The location was chosen by local youths.

Last weekend we went to a seaside resort which had a skate park near the beach.  It was quite noisy due to the metal wheels on the metal surfaces with a hollow space underneath acting as a sounding board.  Not a good idea to have a similar noisy set-up close to housing.

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 06:26:45 pm »
Land near to the Youth & Community Centre must surely be more suitable, but I did hear a rumour that this was 'too far away from the centre of the village for them to walk to'.
I live in Brookmans Park but walk to and from work on the Welham Green Industrial Estate and I'm not a youngster ....... so if I can, I'm sure they could manage that little walk!!!  :D

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • BP born and bred
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 08:30:23 pm »
There is the plot of derelict land between the recycling facilities and the Community Centre, the bit with all broken down fencing, full of fly tipped rubbish & overgrown trees & bushes. That belongs to Thames Water and they do nothing to it, they don't use it and don't maintain it. Welwyn Hatfield Council pay Thames Water for the use of a tiny bit of the land for the recycling bins, so as far as I know, that's the only income they get for the land, hardly a good investment Worth approaching Thames Water? - Yes, Thames Water, not Veolia. It is their land.

Offline PCSO Luxford

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 06:14:42 pm »
On behalf of PCSO Griffin.

Sam would like to make a couple of points on this issue. The skate park is not going to be a locked venue so the problem of keeping children/youths out and finding a lock strong enough is not an issue.

The North Mymms Community Centre has no lighting and this in itself, negates the posibility of the skate park being sited there. This would have been the prefered location had it not been for this problem. The chosen location has lighting already in situ and a hard standing.

It would be beneficial to hear from the younger residents and the older residents so both sides can be considered. Please come along and have your say on Friday 1st April.

PCSO, Louise Luxford, the police community support officer for Brookmans Park and Little Heath. For non-emergencies, please calll 0845 33 00222.

Offline Conor

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 07:51:25 pm »
On behalf of PCSO Griffin.

Sam would like to make a couple of points on this issue. The skate park is not going to be a locked venue so the problem of keeping children/youths out and finding a lock strong enough is not an issue.

Whilst I can see that fitting a lock would be a waste of time, that means that the police are accepting that there will be young people there all hours of the day and night. This is surely not suitable for a residential area. What about the noise? What about the light pollution? What about the loss of privacy?

The North Mymms Community Centre has no lighting and this in itself, negates the posibility of the skate park being sited there. This would have been the prefered location had it not been for this problem.

There is power in the building. And there are already floodlights covering the carpark area as well?

If you are accepting that a skate park is going to be used after dark then siting it on the edge of a residential area near people's houses is a mistake. I'm sure there is demand for such a facility in the area but googling skate park problems show that time and time again these sort of facilities act as a magnet for antisocial behaviour; particularly by older teenagers during late evening and night times.

This may not be the fault of the teenagers if they have nowhere else to go, but surely a site such as where Bob Horrocks says the youth shelter currently is, or somewhere in the grounds of the youth and community centre. Both much further away from people's houses and both probably easier to keep an eye on as it is at least possible to drive to within eyesight of it.

With the suggersted location only accessible down a narrow footpath, parents of younger children will be unwilling to use it because they will have no idea who is using the park. Older children who would be going to and from independently will potentially be placing themselves in danger as it is such an enclosed space with no passing traffic keeping an eye on what is going on.

Offline LMS

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 10:16:50 am »
Could someone confirm the time of this meeting please?  As the Horticultural Society will be preparing for their  Spring Show is the Community Centre still the venue?

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2011, 12:22:43 pm »
The meeting is in the NM Youth and Community Centre starting at 7.30pm this evening Friday 1st April - entrance driveway next to the Catholic Church on Station Road

Agenda
 1.      Introductions

2.      The plot of land –suggested alternative locations?

3.      Ideas for usage

4.      Finance

5.      Next steps

Offline PCSO Luxford

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2011, 10:05:23 pm »
Sam and I would like to thank the residents who turned up for tonight's meeting. We were not expecting it to be held in the car park but I guess it added a little something.

The youths who turned up did themselves proud. They agreed with the residents objections regarding noise at the then proposed site, and stated it was not their intention to upset the residents or cause any trouble. They had taken the residents concerns into consideration and their viewpoints were put across in a very mature way. Well done to them!

There are some confidential "Welham Green Skate Park Project" forms in the local shops for residents to answer a few questions on their opinions on the project. These were complied by the youths with the help from Youth Connexions to gauge residents feelings.

Should you not be able to attain a copy then please contact PCSO Sam Griffin sam.griffin@herts.pnn.police.uk, or myself PCSO Louise Luxford, louise.luxford@herts.pnn.police.uk.
PCSO, Louise Luxford, the police community support officer for Brookmans Park and Little Heath. For non-emergencies, please calll 0845 33 00222.

Offline Peter Hastings

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 10:28:50 am »
We had another busy meeting on Wednesday with lots of local residents and young people. We have agreed the above name for our group and opened a bank account. We are hoping to approve our constitution at the next meeting as well as finalise consultation leaflets and publicity.

The next meeting is at NMYCC at 6.30pm on Thursday 28th April.

Offline DanMiller

• Opinions on a couple of things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2011, 08:23:30 pm »
Please find email submitted to Louise Luxford today;

I’m a 42 year-old resident of Welham Green & have just (excitedly!) heard news of the possible development of a skatepark in the village. I am an active skateboarder (yes, even in my ancient years!) & believe that the addition of this facility would be of enormous benefit for the local youths and indeed for some slightly more mature people!

I regularly skate at Potters Bar skatepark & encounter people from the ages of 6 upwards. These children, youths, whatever you want to call them are genuinely good people that just want to skate. As a senior skater, I’m always at hand to offer and indeed take advice which they readily accept and give. The general spectrum of ages and camaraderie at PB skateparks is sometimes an overwhelmingly uplifting experience, everyone is keen to learn & willing to listen. The benefits to these children is immense, in fact I’d say almost immeasurable.

It saddens me that some local residents are against this park, seemingly because they’re worried about the “yoof” impact at night. Surely a skatepark would help the local kids & possibly give them a sense of direction?

I'd be happy to assist in the building/fund raising of this project in any way I can.

Dan Miller.

Offline DanMiller

• Opinions on a couple of things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2011, 08:29:09 pm »
The youth shelter adjacent to the football field off Dellsome Lane/ Bushwood Close is apparently under-used because there is no hard-surfaced path to it.  So footwear can get a bit muddy!  The location was chosen by local youths.

Last weekend we went to a seaside resort which had a skate park near the beach.  It was quite noisy due to the metal wheels on the metal surfaces with a hollow space underneath acting as a sounding board.  Not a good idea to have a similar noisy set-up close to housing.

Skateboards do not have, or indeed ever have had, metal wheels. The wheels are made from eurothane. The noise these wheels make is not a patch on the noise cars make. However I would suggest concrete as a surface for the proposed skatepark as it is quieter than steel ramps.

Offline Peter Hastings

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 09:27:07 pm »
The Skate Park group has had a designer look at possible sights at Welham Park and also at the Community Centre. We are waiting for his comments and initial suggestions. Both possible venues had the space and clearance from residential properties. Both have drawbacks and a decision is a long way off.

We have had a presence at Little Heath and St Mary's School fetes raising some money and more importantly gathering opinions and support.

Our next meeting is next week on Friday 8th July , time and venue to be confirmed.

Thanks

Peter

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2011, 09:01:00 am »
I have been asked to change the heading of this thread because it is is more about the skate park group rather than Welham Green As One.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Peter Hastings

• Forum Member
Re: Welham Green Youth Skate Park Group Balloon Day and Rideathon
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2011, 01:20:54 pm »
Thanks for all the interest and support at the two activities last weekend.

We now have many more signatures to our list of supporters and raised more money for future projects.

The winner of the skateboard at the Balloon day was Tom Tully from Brookmans Park.

The following day at Furzefield we had a full quota of sponsored young people riding, skating and scootering all day.

The winners of the Rideathon Raffle are as follows -  1st prize - £50.00 Conspiracy vouchers - Ronnie Miles, 2nd prize - £20.00 Conspiracy vouchers - Jack Stevens, 3rd prize - Skateboard - Helen Lee. 

Anyone else interested in what the group is trying to do please let me know.

Thanks

Offline Peter Hastings

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2012, 11:17:51 am »
The Group has asked the Parish Council for support and they have decided to see what the people of Welham Green really think!

If you live in Welham Green you should have received a yellow leaflet which gives you some details about the plans and a map of where we are suggesting this new facility is built. You have a space to add your comments and can tick to support or not.

The completed leaflets can be returned to the Welham Green Post Office or to the Parish Council Offices in Bushwood Close.

If you want a Skatepark or you have constructive comments to make please do take the time to complete the form and return it by 9th June (next Saturday).

If you have not seen a leaflet I have some spares and if you have any questions please do contact me.

Thanks
Peter Hastings
Secretary

Offline Peter Hastings

• Forum Member
Re: Skate Park-Last chance to vote
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2012, 09:19:14 am »
Today is the last chance to tell the Parish Council what you think of the idea of a Skate Park on the Recreation Ground.

For or against, please complete the yellow leaflets you will have received and drop them back to the Post Office or Parish Offices in Bushwood Close. The Parish Council has asked to learn the will of the people of Welham Green, so please take this chance to tell them.

Online peppermint

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2012, 05:43:32 pm »
There are a lot of boys from both welham green and brookmans park who currently use the skatepark at the furzefield in potters bar and there are rarely any problems there.  Building a skate park in welham green would give them somewhere nearer home to  go to. 

Offline Peter Hastings

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2012, 08:38:03 am »
Yes Peppermint that is my view but the Parish Council need to be persuaded that this is what local people want so let's see!

Offline Peter Hastings

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2012, 07:27:57 am »
The Parish Council meeting last night heard that the results of the leaflet consultation of people in Welham Green was 31 people against and 109 in favour.

A lot of people had taken the trouble to put in comments too so thanks to everyone who made the effort.

The Parish Council deferred the decision on whether to support us or not to the next meeting at the end of July.

Offline peter.inci

• Forum Member
  • Expertises:
  • everthing
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2012, 03:19:00 pm »
I have heard that a vote was carried out by the Parish Council, which apparently went 2 for 2 against 2 abstained.
 (Barking Creek , Paddle)
 I cannot vouch for how correct my information is  but no suprise if its true.
Peter

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2012, 09:21:48 pm »
I was at the parish council meeting last Wednesday. They chose to defer the decision whether to allow the skate park or not until the next meeting as they did not feel they had enough information. Also, there were two councillors missing and they felt they should have a say as well, so although voting indications were made there was no official decision taken. That will be next month.
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Peter Hastings

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2012, 10:53:08 pm »
The Parish Council considered tonight our request for support as land owner in building a skate park in the corner of the Recreation Ground in Welham Green.

The Council voted against the proposal. It was a tight vote, 4 each way with the chairman's casting vote naturally going against any change.

This was a grave disappointment, coming as it did against the background of an overwhelmingly majority of responses to the local consultation being in favour and no questions having been raised by any members since the last meeting.

The Skate Park group is meeting again next Thursday 2nd Aug at the North Mymms Youth and Community Centre at 7pm if anyone has any bright ideas.

Offline peter.inci

• Forum Member
  • Expertises:
  • everthing
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2012, 07:30:03 am »
Well done the parish council another blunder.
Please give the children an interest in the village or is that to much to ask.
I am now convinced when the parish council full election comes ther will be a few changes.

Offline peter.inci

• Forum Member
  • Expertises:
  • everthing
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2012, 12:54:26 pm »
The Parish Council at there meeting last night voted to turn down the application to build a Skate Park at Bushwood.

This is very strange after going to the trouble to hold a postal referendum which gave an overwhelming yes to the Skate Park for the youngsters of  Welham Green and surrounding areas.

I do wonder what was the reasons of those who voted against the plan, will we ever know.

So once again we send our youngsters back to the streets with nothing in the village to do.

Wake up Welham Green to the apathy that seems to have developed .

We all moan and gripe about things so lets all stand together for a better deal for all

Tags: