Author Topic: Footpath Georges Wood Road  (Read 2697 times)

Offline CarolineB

• Opinions on some things
Footpath Georges Wood Road
« on: April 16, 2002, 12:47:48 pm »
There is no formal footpath along Georges Wood Road, although there is a fair amount of pedestrian traffic, including school children. The road can be busy and cars usually drive fast, making it unsafe to walk on the side of the road. Would it be possible to have a small footpath at one side ?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2002, 01:06:18 pm by admin »
Caroline

Offline anna

• Opinions on many things
Re: Footpath Georges Wood Road
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2002, 01:39:10 pm »
Caroline, I actually agree with you on this one. Even for myself I do like to walk up the road to the shops sometimes and with a pushchair it can be a nightmare. In fact even walking the dog at night is hard. I feel guilty about walking on peoples frontages, but don't feel safe walking on the road either.

Problem is, its a private road, and the frontages commitee are very hot on keeping the road looking green. Everyone is asked to keep the fronts clean and tidy and not to concerete over. To turn it into a footpath the residents of the actual road would have to pay, and I think thats highly unlikely because for many residents the kids are a constant problem, throwing litter over peoples gardens etc..........

I think the only way this is ever likely to happen is if the local council offered to pay for a footpath or the school did. Even so it would be up to those people to maintain it as well, which is why the Frontages Commitee are unlikely to agree.

I may be wrong, and I'll happily put the question through on the next meeting (although I'm not on the commitee) but I think they would be dead against the idea.

Offline CarolineB

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2002, 03:38:58 pm »
Anna, thanks for your comments. I can see the problems, but isn't it an anomaly that such a busy road (basically an important thoroughfare) is private, and that homeowners have to shoulder responsibility for a public amenity? Brookmans Avenue is also a private road but it has a footpath; what is the situation there?It would be good, however,  if you could bring up the issue of a footpath on the next meeting.
Caroline

Offline anna

• Opinions on many things
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2002, 04:14:22 pm »
Caroline, as you say the situation is not ideal. For instance we have all the coaches going up and down and buses which damage our road and then we have to repair it! What is interesting is its classed as a private road but a public highway. When a tree came down recently though and blocked the road the council refused to come out and remove it!  Not all of Brookmans Ave has a footpath only a little bit near the shops, I don't know what the situation is with that.

Offline CarolineB

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2003, 02:13:39 am »
Well, the drives may offer variety, but they don't do anything for providing a safe passage for pedestrians, particularly at night. I am thinking here especially of schoolchildren walking along the road in the dark on their way home. I understand the problems associated with the unadopted road status of Georges Wood Road, but I am not convinced that the appeal of the frontages warrants safety risks for people in the village. This is not a small country road but a major thoroughfare, and there is a school close by. Isn't this a matter to discuss with WH Council?  

Caroline
Caroline

Tags: