Author Topic: Beware of bogus neighbourhood watch callers  (Read 1826 times)

Offline Aloo

• Opinions on many things
Beware of bogus neighbourhood watch callers
« on: January 12, 2011, 04:12:58 pm »
We received the following email via online neighbourhood watch

"It is with regret and great anger that I must inform you all about a burglary in Old Welwyn yesterday.
When challenged by the elderly lady, the man stated to be working on behalf of Neighbourhood Watch and was checking that someone had not come into her house.
Can I remind everyone that both our officers and police staff will have a police ID card to show you; and that under normal circumstances we will not enter your property without being invited.
It seems that the elderly lady first spotted the offender in her side porch which is located through an alleyway while she was in her front garden. He then entered her house and she followed him - it is then that she challenged him.
The offender removed 2 bags which have now been recovered (minus the money unfortunately). Our investigator officers are now working on possible evidence I am pleased to report."

Please stay vigilant.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 05:12:00 pm by David Brewer »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: Beware of bogus neighbourhood watch callers
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 05:12:46 pm »
Thanks for this Tumbliboo. I have split it from the optician burglary thread because I felt it deserved its own thread.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline NMLHS

• Opinions on many things
  • North Mymms Local History Society informant
Re: Beware of bogus neighbourhood watch callers
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 02:07:08 pm »
"Can I remind everyone that both our officers and police staff will have a police ID card to show you; and that under normal circumstances we will not enter your property without being invited."

Ah but how do we know they are genuine?  How many of us actually know what a police ID card looks like?  Until recently I didn't.

Ideally you should phone the police station and ask them if they have a PC/DC named on the card before letting  him/her in but how many people would keep a genuine copper on the doorstep?

Tags: