Author Topic: Mac tekkie?  (Read 8766 times)

Offline chicken legs

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
Mac tekkie?
« on: November 22, 2010, 04:02:31 pm »
I have a brilliant pc tekkie, but Is there a brilliant Mac tekkie in the locality, please? If you could PM me with any possibilities, it would be great.

Offline Aidan Winwood

• Opinions on most things
  • Oh pish posh.  Release the Hounds.
    • GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
  • Video Games (professionally)
Re: Mac tekkie?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 11:19:04 pm »
Ooh watch out, they'll spend hours telling you why the beautiful looks and wonderful iTunes make it worth paying a million billion pounds for each Apple product...  And that if you only have one, you really need another 5-10 'i' based products...   :)

Aidan

Offline NMLHS

• North Mymms Local History Society informant
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 02:10:16 pm »
Ooh watch out, they'll spend hours telling you why the beautiful looks and wonderful iTunes make it worth paying a million billion pounds for each Apple product...  And that if you only have one, you really need another 5-10 'i' based products...   :)

Aidan

Rubbish!  They may cost a bit more but they work better.  The main advantage is that you can run most of the programmes from a separate hard drive rather than clog your PC with lesser used programmes and updates (oh the number of updates!) which eventually slow the computer down to a snail's pace.

As you may guess I have both Mac & PC... the Mac works and the PC I dread starting. :icon_jokercolor:

John_fraser

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 05:42:15 pm »
Richard Dawkins, Pope Benedict, Billy Graham and Osama Bin Laden all pale into lukewarm agnostics compared to the religious fervour a Mac head can summon up.

Offline Little Miss Elaine Moffat

• Opinions on some things
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 06:02:39 pm »

Aidan

Hey Aidan

This is your quote from your other post 'Electronics guru needed... '

'I left my lovely new £90 Sennheiser ear-bud headphones out in my lounge by accident rather than in their little case.'

Pot Kettle Black comes to mind!!!!!!! :icon_scratch:

Offline NMLHS

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 09:30:34 am »
Richard Dawkins, Pope Benedict, Billy Graham and Osama Bin Laden all pale into lukewarm agnostics compared to the religious fervour a Mac head can summon up.

Too true!

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 12:49:52 pm »

Offline NMLHS

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 09:38:48 am »
Aaaah! Nostalgia..... at a price.

Offline Strad

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 10:04:54 am »
Oh dear me Chicken Legs what have you done?
One mention of the M word and look what we get.

ps Any luck with your original enquiry?

Offline Aidan Winwood

• Opinions on most things
  • Oh pish posh.  Release the Hounds.
    • GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
  • Video Games (professionally)
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 07:31:48 pm »
Hey Aidan

This is your quote from your other post 'Electronics guru needed... '

'I left my lovely new £90 Sennheiser ear-bud headphones out in my lounge by accident rather than in their little case.'

Pot Kettle Black comes to mind!!!!!!! :icon_scratch:

Yes yes yes, I know I may seem hypocritical (especially as I have several other pairs of multiple hundred pound Sennheiser headphones) and am a total techie nerd, but really...  Apple...

...What really annoys me most is that, much as I am an Apple-phobic, I do secretly love how beautifully they work and look.  But the Price!  Please!

:0

Aidan
x

Offline chicken legs

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 08:11:12 pm »
Yes, thank you, Strad.  The imac is dead but an excellent tekkie managed to recover all the necessary files.  Aidan, how can you say they work beautifully?  Windows is simple and logical - macs make everything convoluted, just so's the users can feel .............superior.

Offline NMLHS

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2010, 09:31:44 am »
Windows is simple and logical - macs make everything convoluted, just so's the users can feel .............superior.

Simple and logical eh.  Have you ever tried to find the dll file from a programme you unmounted months ago that is conflicting with another programme you have loaded since?  Have you ever tried to find all those redundant dll's that are clogging up your hard drive or found that you have deleted one that was vital to another programme?

At least on a Mac all of the programme is deleted when you decide to do so and without affecting any other programme.  Macs also seem to store data more economically (how has always been a puzzle to me but it does)

Offline chicken legs

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2010, 10:17:21 pm »
Simple and logical eh.  Have you ever tried to find the dll file from a programme you unmounted months ago that is conflicting with another programme you have loaded since?  Have you ever tried to find all those redundant dll's that are clogging up your hard drive or found that you have deleted one that was vital to another programme?

Erm......................no  ;D

edited to fix quote
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 10:29:30 pm by Bob »

Offline chicken legs

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2010, 10:19:15 pm »

Simple and logical eh.  Have you ever tried to find the dll file from a programme you unmounted months ago that is conflicting with another programme you have loaded since?  Have you ever tried to find all those redundant dll's that are clogging up your hard drive or found that you have deleted one that was vital to another programme?
[/quote]

Can I just have one more try at "quoting" before David picks me up.   Fingers crossed.

colinr

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2010, 11:58:17 pm »
Can I just have one more try at "quoting" before David picks me up.   Fingers crossed.

Look, if you used the imac you wouldn't have this problem.
See how easy it is for me. i'm a Mac

Everyone likes Apple Computers, even Bill Gates!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvskEGWMLp4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_FskUkh-VE&feature=related

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2010, 06:10:59 pm »
Most of the Macbooks I see run Windows anyway !

The point made about DLLs etc isn't really an issue with current versions of Windows (Yes, it was a problem with Win98 but not many people have used that for a while now  ;) )

In my opinion Windows 7 is the best OS to use and certainly a huge improvement over Vista.

colinr

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2010, 08:11:22 pm »
In my opinion Windows 7 is the best OS to use and certainly a huge improvement over Vista.

My Amstrad PCW was better than Vista

So how many times over the last week did you use control- alt - delete to get out of a hanging programme?

My imac has run like a dream for the last year, and it boots up like lightening.

I don't need to nurse maid it, I do use a PC at work and I can boil an egg while I wait for it to think about opening an application

« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 08:23:18 pm by colinr »

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2010, 05:45:14 pm »
I do use a PC at work and I can boil an egg while I wait for it to think about opening an application

Not always a fair comparison as the vast majority of work PCs will be part of a domain and therefore process lots more stuff at startup.

colinr

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2010, 06:09:58 pm »
I do use a PC at work and I can boil an egg while I wait for it to think about opening an application

Not always a fair comparison as the vast majority of work PCs will be part of a domain and therefore process lots more stuff at startup.

Yes you are correct, if I use my own personal PC lap top at home I can only cook a loosely bolied egg rather than the hard boild one at work!!

Now let  me google other Delia recipes, Ive got the time   :icon_jokercolor:

BTW How many time was it for your  control- alt - delete  keys last  week ?

Offline chicken legs

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2010, 08:00:34 pm »
I don't have anything to do with hanging programmes - don't believe in it.  And can't remember the last time I used Control-Alt-Delete.

But the mac in the our house froze yesterday.  Fortunately I was able to google the problem on my pc laptop and found a solution.

colinr

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2010, 10:02:24 pm »
I don't have anything to do with hanging programmes - don't believe in it.  And can't remember the last time I used Control-Alt-Delete.

So you won't need to see this then

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5z0Ia5jDt4&feature=related

Offline NMLHS

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2010, 10:32:16 am »
Most of the Macbooks I see run Windows anyway !

The point made about DLLs etc isn't really an issue with current versions of Windows (Yes, it was a problem with Win98 but not many people have used that for a while now  ;) )

I have the problem with dll's on the office PC running XP.  I think Windows 7 is now approaching the efficiency of Mac OSX 10.6... but I have no experience of it.  It's true OS 10.6 can run Windows and will do so faster than the PC but what's the point?

Oh.. and I can toast the bread to go with the egg and make the tea before my PC starts up.  I don't switch it off these days as it takes too long to start up.  I dare not fit one of those economy switches that turn the computer off as it would switch off before the PC was fully functional.

One last advantage that I did not mention in my last post is that the programmes do not have to be resident on the main hard drive to run.  I keep a lot of the lesser used ones on a separate drive.  I don't think that you can do this with Windows.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2010, 10:54:21 am »
It's true OS 10.6 can run Windows and will do so faster than the PC but what's the point?

Because there's vastly more choice of software for the Windows platform.

I actually think Apple kit is very well designed albeit a bit expensive.

Hence running WIndows 7 on Mac gives you the best of both worlds
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 01:53:43 pm by sasquartch »

Offline MikeL

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2010, 02:35:27 pm »
Your all wrong (both Mac and PC zealots). Just get yourself an old PC/laptop and install Ubuntu Linux ( http://www.ubuntu.com/ ). ;D

It's free, it works like a dream and it makes my old (PC) laptop work faster than a new Mac. There are free applications to perform just about any task you want, you just select them off a list and they download and install. I can't praise it enough.

I'd advise anyone to try it, especially if you have an old machine that you think needs replacing.

Offline NMLHS

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2010, 10:07:30 am »
Your all wrong (both Mac and PC zealots). Just get yourself an old PC/laptop and install Ubuntu Linux ( http://www.ubuntu.com/ ). ;D

I tried Linux a few years ago.  I found that you needed a degree in computer science to make it work but if you did have the said degree you could do wonders with it.  Is it more user friendly now?

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2010, 10:52:11 am »
Ubuntu Linux is very good and is easy for the novice to set up.

The problem with Ubuntu and other Linux distributions is that it isn't as well supported as Windows for things like drivers.

I appreciate for some people it may well do everything you need but for example you can't run Microsoft Office on it. (Yes, there are alternatives such as OpenOffice but they are only compatible to a degree in practice). Lots of devices might have problems - I haven't tried it but I reckon there would be potential problems getting things like Phones and All-in-one printers to work correctly.

But it's free and it certainly does run well on older hardware.

Offline MikeL

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2010, 11:10:58 am »
It used to be true that Linux was difficult and lacked drivers etc. But Ubuntu Linux has improved immensely over the last couple of years, to such an extent that I would say it's easier to get most of my peripherals to work than it is with Windows (certainly Vista). I have yet to find anything I can't use with it. 

Whilst it may not run Microsoft Office I wonder how many people actually need (or wish to pay for) MS Office at home? I bet Open Office, which is legally free (you can also get a version for Windows) will be more than adequate for virtually anyone's home needs. If you really do need MS Office, Ubuntu does have a Windows emulator (Wine) which would probably work, but it defeats the object somewhat. 

I'm not suggesting that you should convert to Ubuntu in the workplace where you have networks and domains and business systems which are probably only supported on Windows, although I have seriously considered it as the cost savings could be immense.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2010, 12:15:13 pm »
I have yet to find anything I can't use with it. 

iTunes - don't think this will work on Ubuntu - an example of a very common application people would use at home.

Offline MikeL

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2010, 01:13:07 pm »
iTunes - don't think this will work on Ubuntu - an example of a very common application people would use at home.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5197743_download-itunes-linux-ubuntu.html

Ok, it's not something everyone will be able to master. personally I seem to spend half my time uninstalling iTunes from peoples PCs because they just wanted to re-charge their iPod and plugged it in...

However, the better option is to use the Linux equivalent (there's usually one for everything) http://banshee-project.org/

colinr

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2010, 01:33:15 pm »
I have yet to find anything I can't use with it. 

And you can't run iphoto, imovie or Garage Band on your PC, but that won't make your Windows 7 PC any less usable to you I would have thought.

Get over it a PC is great for many applications and a Mac is fantastic in many other ways.
All MikeL is saying for a hassle free operating system Ubuntu Linux will do a great job and breath new life into that old bit of hardware you have sitting in the corner doing nothing.

All because Microsoft has filled it with all sorts of patches and dll’s and goodness knows what other bits of security software it needs to keep you safe.
In doing this it has reduced its usability and frustrated its users.

Sasquartch, you still haven’t told me how many Control – Alt – Delete’s you have used over the last weeks.

Maybe we should run a Control – Alt – Delete poll to see what the other forum members can add.

Tags: