Poll

Do we need a pedestrian crossing in Brookmans Park village?

Yes
42 (76.4%)
No
13 (23.6%)
Don't care
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Author Topic: Does Brookmans Park need a pedestrian crossing? - Poll  (Read 31504 times)

Offline Big Red Daddy

• Opinions on some things
Re: Does Brookmans Park need a pedestrian crossing? - Poll
« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2010, 02:11:41 pm »
Let's get our priorities right, what's more important the 'look' of the village, or the safety of the villagers!!

As a parent who crosses Bluebridge, I am all in favour of a crossing, at the expense of any aesthetic compromise.

Buster

« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2010, 03:14:33 pm »
Well if us locals drove slower it would help.  The police were out again on Saturday and the car I saw stopped was again a resident of BP - we don't help ourselves.  Interestingly any issues i have had tends to be with parents dropping their kids off for the school coaches.

Offline Mr T

• Opinions on some things
« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2010, 05:00:29 pm »
Can anyone tell us how many actual road accidents or deaths there have been on our village roads?

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • BP born and bred
« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2010, 06:01:46 pm »
There have been at least 2 deaths I can recall in the past year on roads in Brookmans Park. Don't forget that statistically for every accident there are approximately 10 'near misses'.

John_fraser

« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2010, 06:14:23 pm »
How many dead would be needed to convince people?

Offline chicken legs

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2010, 10:11:09 pm »
Just out of interest, Ferdie, on which roads did these tragic accidents occur?

Offline Mr Green

• Forum Member
  • Expertises:
  • Teacher
« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2010, 10:45:15 pm »
Just out of interest, Ferdie, on which roads did these tragic accidents occur?

I am not aware of any FATALS in the village, however there have been a few around, such as Hawkshead Road. However by far the most dangerous strecth of road is the A1000 between Dixons Hill Road and Georges Wood Road. Fatals in 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2008 (x2), 2009.

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • BP born and bred
« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2010, 07:15:57 am »
Both fatals were on the A1000.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2010, 09:34:34 am »
Both fatals were on the A1000.

So nothing to do with a pedestrian crossing in the village centre

Offline Aidan Winwood

• Oh pish posh.  Release the Hounds.
    • GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
  • Video Games (professionally)
« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2010, 12:44:33 pm »
I definitely would not want a 'beeping' type of crossing within audible range of my flat.  The only type I wouldn't mind about would be a zebra crossing, near the methi part of the village might be a good spot since the road is stratight and it's a reasonable distance from any bends.

A

Offline ADM

• Forum Moderator
  • Member of the Brookmans Park Newsletter Forum
« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2010, 03:02:27 pm »
Opposite a parking 'lay-by' - I don't think this will happen. 

I had a good look today for a suitable site this morning - with all the driveways and lay-bys, there isn't one.

Problem:  some vehicles come through the village too fast.
Result:  some people don't feel safe crossing the road.

I'm not sure that a level crossing would make people slow down.  So let's attack the problem. 

What about PC Roll using his Laser (speed gun) training a bit more often? 

What about traffic calming measures? 

Or more radically, what about changing the main road so that as you approach from Station Road (Welham Green), you can't bear right into Bluebridge Road (pedestrianised) but have to go up Bradmore Green, next sharp right and then right at the Raj.  You'd lose a bit of green for road widening but you'd gain a nice bit of Bluebridge road between the current green and the Methi.

And those corners would really address the problem.

Just a thought...

Offline ADM

• Forum Moderator
  • Member of the Brookmans Park Newsletter Forum
« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2010, 03:03:23 pm »
I mean LEFT at the Raj.

Sorry.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #72 on: April 23, 2010, 04:35:56 pm »
What about PC Roll using his Laser (speed gun) training a bit more often? 

.. because I fear we could be losing Nick (our fifth PC in 18 months), as discussed in another thread.

http://www.brookmans.com/forum/index.php?topic=2583.msg21114#msg21114

Dave
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline saffie

« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2010, 08:21:29 am »
Having the bridge closed has made such a difference crossing the road with children, dogs, scooters, bikes etc. 

It has really made me realise how good it would be to have a crossing at that end of the village.  It is so easy to cross at the moment from the hairdressers/alley to the Brookmans knowing there is no traffic whizzing past. 

If a crossing was put in on this side of the village I think it would make a BIG difference and give school run mums a safe place to cross.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2010, 08:39:49 am »
Hi Saffie, I have merged this with an existing thread on this topic.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Bedlam

« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2010, 08:42:06 pm »
IMO a zebra crossing (*not a pelican crossing with all the associated beeping and noises etc) situated from the point of the island at the start of Station Close across to pavement outside of the Brookmans would aid school children, shoppers and commuters alike. Coupling this with 1 or 2 speed bumps on the approach to the bridge to stop the boy/older boy racer's fun.

A mini roundabout situated nearby at the Bradmore Way/Bluebridge Road junction would make it safer and slow down village traffic even further.

Another zebra crossing traversing Bluebridge Road near to the Hattersley's Fish shop would be provide a safe crossing point for pedestrians, especially mothers and schoolchildren and if it was coupled with a flashing 'speed awareness sign' approaching Bradmore Green this would also greatly slow down traffic approaching the Green.

IMO these proposals would be a very effective but aesthetically discreet scheme to improve road safety/nuisance in our village.

Offline Alex

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on: July 18, 2010, 12:46:19 am »
 ;D

We do not need anything more than we have , please things as they are !

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #77 on: July 18, 2010, 07:27:14 am »
;D

We do not need anything more than we have , please things as they are !

What is it that we have, other than a road with people often driving too fast and a village with many elderly people and parents/guardians with children trying to cross that road?

83% of people responding to the poll feel a crossing is needed in the village.

David

Offline Peter Hastings

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on: July 18, 2010, 11:49:25 am »
A crossing not only provides a crossing but also acts as a traffic calming measure. Far better than bumps or cameras.

Offline Bedlam

« Reply #79 on: July 18, 2010, 07:05:30 pm »
A crossing not only provides a crossing but also acts as a traffic calming measure. Far better than bumps or cameras.

Agreed

colinr

« Reply #80 on: July 20, 2010, 04:07:29 pm »

83% of people responding to the poll feel a crossing is needed in the village.

David

David, without wishing to sound negative about your data.

According to the 2001 UK Census. Brookmans Park has a population of  3475

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brookmans_Park#cite_note-0

So I hardly think 35 votes is a landslide victory :icon_jokercolor:

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #81 on: July 20, 2010, 06:10:41 pm »
Hi Colin,

Agreed, and that's why I wrote "83% of people responding...".  I wasn't suggesting it was landslide, or that it was representative of the community. I was just commenting on the number.

Clearly, not all 3,475 of the people who live in Brookmans Park are online. Of those that are, probably only a small percentage read this website. Of those that do a large number just read but are not registered. Not all of those who are registered will have read the thread and some will have missed the poll. And there will be those who just can't be bothered. However, of those who bothered to vote, 83% (31 people) were in favour of a crossing with six people thinking a crossing is not needed.

Polls on websites are worthless in terms of scientific research.

:)

David

colinr

« Reply #82 on: July 20, 2010, 06:19:59 pm »
of those who bothered to vote, 83% (31 people) were in favour of a crossing with six people thinking a crossing is not needed.

Polls on websites are worthless in terms of scientific research.

:)

David

David , Can you tell me why 31 + 6 = 35 votes ??

Offline NMLHS

• North Mymms Local History Society informant
« Reply #83 on: July 27, 2010, 06:06:32 pm »
1.   Do not speed bumps get in the way of busses?
2.   Diverting the traffic around Bradmore Green would also cause havoc with busses unable to negotiate the turns without losing most of the green.
3.   That leaves us with pedestrian crossings and there seems to me to be no ideal place for one.

Offline NMLHS

« Reply #84 on: July 27, 2010, 06:20:39 pm »
Sorry, pressed the send button in mid message.

4.   I would suggest chicanes between  Moffats Lane and the URC and on the hill up to the bridge with the right of way set leaving the village so that traffic going into the village has to stop for traffic leaving.  Why not have another chicane between The Gardens and Bluebridge Avenue for good measure to slow the traffic before it gets to the village.  With the road narrowing at these points then it is a shorter distance for people to cross.

Chicanes seem to work on Travellers Lane Hatfield seems to work so why not in BP.  Speed bumps are bloomin' uncomfortable even at slow speeds!

Offline Bedlam

« Reply #85 on: July 27, 2010, 11:14:59 pm »

Chicanes seem to work on Travellers Lane Hatfield seems to work so why not in BP. 

Driving organizations detest the use of 'Chicanes' as they often promote a game of 'Chicken' between drivers approaching head-on from opposing directions - See the lengthy skid marks in Hatfield, South Mimms etc where someone has "finally bottled out".

IMO any traffic calming measures involving cars having to drive head-on towards each other to gain right of way are both accidents and deaths waiting to happen.

Offline saffie

« Reply #86 on: July 28, 2010, 03:24:54 pm »
Surely the best place for a crossing is from outside the hairdressers/wine merchents across to the brookmans.  For people using this for the school run that means that they only need to cross one road then.

If it is up near Vanilla across to the Raj, then you still need to cross from Hollywood to the Co-Op.  Almost as dangerous as trying to cross the main road sometimes.  With people trying to park outside the co-op and lorries and vans delivering to the co-op and the pharmacy.

I suppose the only other place is from the bus stop outside Raine and Co and then over to the green?  But again you still have to cross the roads around the village green.

No easy answer but something is necessary it is so hard to find somewhere to cross.  I have certainly noticed a big difference being able to cross safely from Alley to Brookmans now the bridge is closed.

Offline NMLHS

« Reply #87 on: July 28, 2010, 05:39:23 pm »
It seems to me that driving illegally through chicanes into oncoming traffic that has the right of way is no safer than running pedestrians over because the car is being driven too fast.  Drivers have to be responsible for their actions; though I take Bedlam's point that some drive regardless of other road users.

Offline NMLHS

« Reply #88 on: July 29, 2010, 10:28:37 am »
Speed bumps like those in Brookmans Avenue would not be popular with the busses and the other square bumps are no better than chicanes as drivers drive close to the middle of the road to avoid them so if they are going to play "chicken" with chicanes they are the sort to do the same avoiding the bumps.

Offline Bedlam

« Reply #89 on: July 29, 2010, 05:06:57 pm »
Speed bumps like those in Brookmans Avenue would not be popular with the busses and the other square bumps are no better than chicanes as drivers drive close to the middle of the road to avoid them so if they are going to play "chicken" with chicanes they are the sort to do the same avoiding the bumps.

Agreed.

Although in general I do not like local authorities employ of speed humps/ramps, I appreciate that when correctly situated, and if they are not too steep, then they can work as in Shenley village where raised zebra crossings are not of suspension crunching steepness but still do the job intended ie. Slow down the traffic.

IMO a number of these raised zebra crossings situated in BPk village would not be unsightly or damaging to vehicles giving them due respect (speedsters take the consequences) and they would greatly benefit pedestrians crossing  the maze of roads. Attached is a diagram of where I envisage these raised crossings would work best but  any other recommendations or improvements would be welcomed.

Tags: