Poll

Do we need a pedestrian crossing in Brookmans Park village?

Yes
42 (76.4%)
No
13 (23.6%)
Don't care
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Author Topic: Does Brookmans Park need a pedestrian crossing? - Poll  (Read 34115 times)

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • BP born and bred
Re: Does Brookmans Park need a pedestrian crossing? - Poll
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2009, 01:07:33 pm »
A liitle side of me suggests, Ferdie, that perhaps you drive over the bumps a tad too fast - hence the suspension problems et al.
;) one minute you accuse me of being a 'do gooder', now I'm a speed demon!!! I don't think Diahatsu's are capable of that!!  ;D

Offline PS

« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2009, 01:13:12 pm »
Ferdie - well, you know what they say about the reckless driving do-gooders - old women in out-dated cars - you see it on the old 50's and 60's films all the time.

I would like to remain confident to assume that you are not in this categarry  :P

Offline sprint

• Opinions on some things
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2009, 01:16:04 pm »
Cross over them with respect, and you [or your back] and the car should have no problems.

I'm afraid nothing could be further from the truth. The problem with speed humps that can be straddled is that for any normal sized car (ie not a 4*4 or a white van), even at 15 miles an hour, they destroy the inner shoulders of the car tyre which usually goes unnoticed because it is virtually invisible to the car owner. This leads to front wheel blowouts with potentially disastrous results. It's only a matter of time before someone successfully sues a council for indirectly causing a fatal accident.

Offline PS

« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2009, 01:29:46 pm »
they destroy the inner shoulders of the car tyre which usually goes unnoticed because it is virtually invisible to the car owner. This leads to front wheel blowouts with potentially disastrous results. It's only a matter of time before someone successfully sues a council for indirectly causing a fatal accident
Sprint

So - (1) how many fatal accidents have occurred as a result of what you say and how many councils have been "sued" (2) the annual MOT test should bring to light any such potentail problems [if they truly do exist]

As for fatalities on Zebra Crossings - don't even get me started ...

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • BP born and bred
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2009, 02:09:47 pm »
Re inner wall tyre damage:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/caradvice/honestjohn/6167527/Road-humps-cause-tyre-damage---Honest-John.html

&

http://www.fixmystreet.com/report/64858

&

http://www.bromleytransport.org.uk/Humps.htm

&

http://www.citytransport.info/Roads.htm

for starters... the last link you need to go down the page a bit to the section 'Traffic Calming & Driver Annoying' particularly note the 'disadvantages' section including comments from emergency services and even funeral directors!

Anyone with low suspension as found on a number of normal, non modified cars will also relate their experiences of damaged skirts and front and rear air deflectors.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2009, 02:10:30 pm »
Forum regular ColinR and I stood waving to each other across Bluebridge Road today (between the URC and the Raj) but couldn't cross safely for a few minutes because of the traffic - and I like to think we are fairly fit and able. In the end ColinR was able to cross and we had a natter. I would not have liked to have tried it if I had been 10 years old. So a crossing there would work well, in my opinion.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

MikeL

« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2009, 03:26:23 pm »
PS
the annual MOT test should bring to light any such potentail problems

That is so frightening. Are you telling me you only look at your tyres (or have them looked at) once a year? An MOT only tells you that your car is roadworthy at the time. Not that it will remain so for the next year.

Offline PS

« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2009, 05:26:54 pm »
Are you telling me you only look at your tyres (or have them looked at) once a year?

I don't - but undoubtly there are people who do. Nevertheless, I have regularly gone through speed bumps in the past - have had the MOT Test [in addition my usual regular inspections] and they have come out clean.

I think more of this is made out than it should be especially when considering peoples dislike of road bumps.

Offline stevea

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2009, 12:10:21 am »

"I think more of this is made out than it should be"

PS - Bit rich coming from you.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2009, 06:30:11 am »
The number in favour of a zebra crossing has increased to 17 (85%) of those who voted, with 3 (15%) against. If you haven't voted, just log in and vote. You will need to scroll to the top of this thread or click here to be taken there.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 07:34:38 am by David Brewer »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

LongTallSally

« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2009, 07:22:35 am »
Thanks David for getting this post back on track.

Offline Grumpy Old Roy

« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2009, 07:48:49 am »

Whilst the mums in their tractors with their little darlings aboard make life very difficult for us in Bradmore Way, it does not alter the fact that the roads around the green are dangerous. The speed of many cars is just downright dangerous, so be it a Zebra crossing or speed hump, it must be done.

One childs life is to big a price to be wise after the event.

Grumpy Old Roy

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2009, 08:17:35 am »
For those who don't know, there are two threads that are dealing with speeding vehicles and crossing roads.

This thread is about whether or not we need a zebra crossing in the village - and there is a poll at the top of the thread click here to reach it.

There is another thread about speeding along local roads click here for that thread and measures that might be taken to deal with that problem. There is a poll on that thread, too. Click here to see it and vote.

I realise there is overlap, but if we could keep this one to discussing the idea of a crossing and the other for speeding and calming measures, then the threads might make more sense.

Offline chicken legs

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2009, 11:11:03 pm »
Having voted no, I'm now becoming really enthusiastic  :-\  There may be just enough space to put a crossing right on the corner, by Emma's Flowers,  pavement to pavement.

Offline Aloo

« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2009, 08:13:59 pm »
I received the following response from the Cllr Bill Storey

"Provision of a Pedestrian Crossing requires certain orders apart from the signs and road markings. Requests for them are subject to a priority system. Your best way to get on the list would be a petition to the Joint Highways Panel that meets at the Borough offices. Margaret Edgar is the Clerk to the panel and can be contacted at Campus East 01707 357000 I think her extension is 2443."

Are we up for raising a petition on to Joint Highways Panel to get a Zebra crossing in the village? 

Offline Johnny Redd

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2009, 12:07:48 pm »
IMHO a zebra crossing would be an excellent idea for traffic calming, adding that extra mental calculation that should result in most drivers (not all unfortunately) reducing their speed to compensate. I would certainly put my name to a petition.

Phil_Holm

« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2010, 04:49:28 pm »
Hello residents, I am PC 2192 Nick ROLL and I have joined the Safer Neighbourhood Team at Hatfield Police Station. I am delighted to have been given the post of looking after and overseeing the policing for Brookmans Park and the Little Heath area.

Hi PC Rolly,

Nice to meet you.

Just wondering what's involved in having a pelican crossing near the shops in Brookmans Park.

There seems to be quite a few mums and children crossing this busy junction at school run time.

Best regards,

Phil

Note: Edited to move this post and the one below to an existing thread on this topic. A link has been inserted at the top to direct to the message the post is referring to.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 07:29:28 pm by David Brewer »

Offline watfordfc

« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2010, 04:54:35 pm »
Hello Mr Pc Roll

its very nice to have such a good bobby looking after us.

I would also like to touch on the subject of having a pelican crossing, perhapes you could give us some advise on how we could acheive this.

Really looking forward to hearing back from you  ;D

regards

Mr C

Offline Aloo

« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2010, 11:21:26 am »
Is this something we should also press local councillors about, when they come round asking for our votes.

Offline Alex

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2010, 07:41:16 pm »
 :o

We do not need a crossing in the village!

Offline saffie

« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2010, 02:13:36 pm »
I don't know why we are going over this again.

YES - WE DO NEED A CROSSING

Offline Alex

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2010, 02:19:36 pm »
No we don't need a crossing. Leave the village as it is please. It's quaint and inviting and should be left unspoilt!

Offline Carrie

« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2010, 03:05:38 pm »
Plenty of "quaint" villages have crossings, and it would be even more "inviting" with one.  I'm all for it and fed up with dodging cars when I walk to and from the station every day. 

Offline saffie

« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2010, 08:18:04 pm »
Plenty of "quaint" villages have crossings, and it would be even more "inviting" with one.  I'm all for it and fed up with dodging cars when I walk to and from the station every day. 

I cross this road every day (infact at least 4 times a day) with children ranging from 3 to 8 years and I would like to be able to cross safely as I am sure many other parents would too. 

It is very dangerous trying to cross the road during the busy school run/commuter times.

I don't think it is much to ask that we can cross the roads within our village safely.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2010, 10:17:26 am »
Where exactly would be the best place for a crossing?

Presumably a survey would have to be carried out to assess the most commonly used crossing point.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2010, 11:13:33 am »
I agree that crossing the main road can be difficult, especially with young children. Also elderly people may have a problem not being able to run out of the way of a speeding Range Rover  :P

Unfortunately the design of BP village is very poor, for example to go from Station Close to the Post Office you either have to cross onto the grass verge (muddy in winter) then cross the main road opposite the Brookmans (on a bend) or walk further up past the Kurma and cross there, sometimes difficult due to the layby, then cross the road a couple more times.

There is no obvious place for a crossing with the current road layout unless the whole design of the village is reconsidered, probably the best way would be traffic calming of some sort on the existing roads.

Offline Alex

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2010, 06:02:50 pm »
We do not need and will not get a crossing in our village. So stop worrying!

Offline saffie

« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2010, 09:21:18 am »
Even some form of traffic calming from the bridge to the church would help. 

The traffic during busy periods comes through their extremely fast and to be honest anything would be a help.

We do not need and will not get a crossing in our village. So stop worrying!

Alex - don't please patronise me and tell me to stop worrying.  I am not worrying about a crossing, just expressing my opinions.  I thought this was the purpose of this forum.

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2010, 10:38:26 am »
The majority of people I know in the village would like a crossing in the centre, both those with children and my elderly neighbours who are fed up with having difficulty crossing the road due to the excessive speeds of many of the cars in BP.

There will be space on the Parish Plan questionnaire to give your views about a crossing, so if it's something you want, say so loud and clear!

Buster

« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2010, 12:38:25 pm »
No we don't need a crossing. Leave the village as it is please. It's quaint and inviting and should be left unspoilt!

I agree with Alex and think a crossing would spoil the look of the village.

Tags: