Poll

Do we need a pedestrian crossing in Brookmans Park village?

Yes
42 (76.4%)
No
13 (23.6%)
Don't care
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Author Topic: Does Brookmans Park need a pedestrian crossing? - Poll  (Read 31616 times)

Offline shads

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
Does Brookmans Park need a pedestrian crossing? - Poll
« on: February 04, 2004, 11:26:50 am »
Let your opions be known by voting on this issue and if there are enough people in favour maybe something could be done about it
« Last Edit: February 04, 2004, 11:33:18 am by admin »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: Does Brookmans Park need a pedestrian crossing? - Poll
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2004, 11:31:42 am »
Hi Shads,

Well done setting up the poll. I have removed the duplicate post so that there is now only one poll.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2004, 11:36:04 am »
Of course one of the issues people might like to suggest in this Poll-Vote-Thread is where such a crossing might be put?

We can forward this thread to the local authority and local politicians when people have had their say either way.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2004, 11:37:21 am »
I can't vote cos my computer doesn't let me ('server encounted an internal error'), but put me down for a yes. I would ask technical support to sort out the problem, but that's me and I haven't got a clue what's wrong....  :P
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2004, 11:40:12 am »
Sorry, I can't vote for you James because even the administrator only has one vote in this system. Pop round to ours on your way home and you can log on here and vote yourself.
David

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2004, 02:23:37 pm »
Sorry folks, but we are having technical problems with the polls on the site. It is preventing some from voting. We will try to fix it. If you want to vote, but can't, please try tomorrow when, hopefully, we might have got to the bottom of it. In the meantime please feel free to add your comments to the threads attached to the votes. (This message has been posted in both poll threads).

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2004, 09:31:22 am »
I've just posted to the 'Traffic Calming on Bluebridge' thread about an idea that might solve two problems at once. In an effort to slow traffic down someone suggested a mini island at south side of the Bluebridge Road bridge. If we had a few of these we could have pedestrian crossings at each?
There could also be marked crossing points at each mini-roundabout helping solve another problem mentioned in another thread? Can anyone see any dangers or negatives from having them put in place.  

Please keep using the other thread to discuss speeding on Bluebridge (and elsewhere in North Mymms), but please post any opinions on the pedestrian crossings at mini-roundabouts idea here in this thread.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2004, 10:23:40 am »
(Note: This has been posted in a new thread, but repeated here because it is also relevant to this thread.)

People are probably already aware that you can report all traffic issues online to HCC. They have an online form system that will even pinpoint the area of road you are bothered about. You can even add forum threads on this site discussing the issue you are raising.

The area covers every traffic issue from speeding to signs, from pedestrian crossings to parking. It might be useful for people to use these forms as well as post to the forum and also perhaps suggest that the council keeps an eye on the views expressed in the threads.

Click here to reach the HCC Highways site.

If people have time, it would also be interesting to hear from anyone who used these facillities and what response they had from the local authority.

(Note: This note is being posted in both the speeding and the pedestrian crossing threads because it is relevant to both and users might not read both.)

Offline Margaret

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2004, 10:33:35 am »
I think a pedestrian crossing is long overdue in fact two would be even better. As you come down Moffats Lane, I think there should be one just as you turn left into Bluebridge for the people who need to walk to the vet college etc. and The Gardens area and one in Bradmore Green somewhere between the Raj and the Hotel. Hopefully these two positions would also help slow the traffic through the village centre.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2004, 02:50:14 pm »
Please remember that roundabouts etc cause a lot of accidents.
Also the poor soul who has them outside their house will have increased noise from gear changes etc and tyre noise as people simply drive over the "fried eggs"
Lets not forget the offenders live here :o
regards,
jet
A random policeman with speed camera will work wonders.

Offline Aloo

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 07:11:51 pm »
If you've got children with you, crossing Bluebridge near the Brookmans is a leap of faith.   While a zebra crossing might not slow all the boy racers, it might force some drivers to slow down as they come over the hill/or accelerate through the village.

I wonder if someone more tech-savvy than me could set up a poll on this site to canvass opinions, prior to raising it with the County Council Highways Dept

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 08:25:49 pm »
Hi Tumbilboo,

Yes, this has been discussed before. There is a poll about speeding already, click here to read that thread. Perhaps we need a new poll for a zebra crossing. I will add one to this thread. Scroll to the top to view and vote.

David

Offline saffie

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 12:21:05 pm »
Yes please - getting children safely across the roads within the village is very hard.

LongTallSally

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 03:05:28 pm »
Anything that slows down drivers and makes the village safer for all its inhabitants gets my vote!

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2009, 03:27:27 pm »
Interesting to see that (as I write) three people out of 13 (23%) don't feel there is a need for a zebra crossing in the village. I wonder if those people could explain how children and the elderly are expected to cross such a busy road. There are several major dangers. 1) the blind bend at the top of the hill by the URC, 2) the bend and T-junction outside the Brookmans, and 3) the T-junction and bus stop outside the Raj. Wouldn't a zebra half way between the URC and the Raj make sense?

Offline Big Red Daddy

• Opinions on some things
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2009, 03:57:53 pm »
Hi David
Am I missing something, I followed the link but cannot see a 'zebra crossing' option. As someone who crosses Bluebridge Road with children I would be in favour of a crossing.
Is there somewhere we can petition to have one installed?
BRD

Offline Big Red Daddy

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2009, 03:58:47 pm »
AHHH, just found the survey, sorry

Offline chicken legs

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2009, 11:55:45 pm »
Oh dear, am I to be vilified now?  I must admit I didn't think it through for very long, but I voted no because I couldn't see where a crossing could be put.  There is parking all down the east side of the road, and where there isn't parking space there are turnings.  Is it possible to have a crossing which starts or ends on a parking bay?

I am elderly, unable to run or even sprint, and quite nervous about crossing roads, but have not had any difficulty crossing Bluebridge.

Offline Aloo

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2009, 12:29:47 am »
If we feel a Zebra Crossing would help safety in the village , it might be worth us speaking with Cllr Storey, who is the County Councillor for our area.   Looking at the Herts County Council website, roads come under their remit.

Link to his contact details is below

http://www.hertsdirect.org/yrccouncil/councillors/ccllrs/bstorey/

What does everyone think?

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2009, 07:56:26 am »

Oh dear, am I to be vilified now?  I must admit I didn't think it through for very long, but I voted no because I couldn't see where a crossing could be put. 

Hi Chicken Legs, of course not. I was just curious to find out why people felt there wasn't a need for a crossing. I think you are right, it may be difficult to find a suitable place.

David

Offline AnneK

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2009, 09:23:03 am »
Those are interesting points about the parking bays and turnings on Bluebridge, chicken legs. The turnings obviously can't be moved but why couldn't one or two parking bays be lost to accommodate a zebra crossing? It's not ideal, given the pressure on parking in the village, but a lot of parents with children would use it.

I know I would. It's not particularly safe crossing anywhere on Bluebridge - on the brow of the hill, near the turnings into the village or the car park, from between the cars or closer to the humpbacked bridge - so it's always a leap of faith with a pushchair and an unpredictable toddler. I'd really appreciate a designated, well-marked area for crossing.

As a driver, I'd be for it, too. Anything would be better than the current situation, where people hover right on the edge of the kerb, sometimes flinging themselves on to the road and running across, sometimes changing their minds. I don't drive that fast along Bluebridge, but I do worry that one day someone will tumble off the kerb.  I saw a woman nearly turned into a pancake on Station Road that way a couple of weeks ago.

Offline chicken legs

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2009, 12:34:20 pm »
I should add that I would certainly be in favour of the crossing if a suitable place could be found.  Pedestrians rule OK.

Offline AnneK

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2009, 06:45:04 pm »
Agreed. In a village setting, pedestrians absolutely ought to get priority.

Offline chicken legs

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2009, 11:10:05 pm »
Having looked again today,  there is probably enough space between the United Reform Church and the fishmongers.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2009, 06:39:14 am »
Having looked again today,  there is probably enough space between the United Reform Church and the fishmongers.

Yes, I think that would work and would have several benefits apart from the crossing. Warning signs either side could help reduce the speed of approaching drivers and the zig zag lines either side would prevent the road (and pavement) in that area being blocked.

David

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • BP born and bred
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2009, 09:08:05 am »
If used as a 'traffic calming measure', area between URC & fishmongers fine, but not a lot of people would ordinarily actually cross there. Users of the shops wouldn't bother to walk up there to cross. Most of the pedestrian crossing is in the most unsuitable place, on the bend in the road outside the Brookmans, on that 4 way junction, Bradmore Way/Brookmans Avenue/Bluebridge Road/Service Road. Due to junction of Station Close/Green Close, it would be tight fitting one in on the slope down from the bridge before these closes,  but that may be more appropriate as cars do speed down there too. But in general the problem is from the opposite direction. So may be 2 are needed? Realistically I can't see that happening. A cheaper and equally effective solution may be 'calming' street furniture/white lining, but please, no bumps!

Offline PS

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2009, 10:34:57 am »
Ferdie - why not bumps ? The ONLY effective way to calm traffic speed down. Placed strategically, they will have the desired effect.

Zebra crossings can be a waste of space - just look around you and see how many people cross roads just yards away from a zebra crossing - all because they are too lazy to walk the extra few yards.

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2009, 11:39:44 am »
When the North Mymms Parish Plan questionnaire is delivered to all North Mymms households, there will be a specific area for thoughts and opinions on a zebra crossing in Brookmans Park. Can I urge everyone who would like to lobby for a zebra crossing to make sure that they make their wishes known.

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • BP born and bred
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2009, 11:45:05 am »
Ferdie - why not bumps ? The ONLY effective way to calm traffic speed down. Placed strategically, they will have the desired effect.

Zebra crossings can be a waste of space - just look around you and see how many people cross roads just yards away from a zebra crossing - all because they are too lazy to walk the extra few yards.

Agree, (apart from the 'ONLY' bit) as those that don't care about speeding, don't bother to stop at Zebra crossings anyway. But hopefully, the majority do and if other traffic is on the road at the time the 'speed demon' is around, it should work.. The speed bumps issue is a bit selfish maybe. I am facing a rather large bill on my car for new suspension dampers. I use a route near where I live with at least 13 humps each time I go in or out. An 'expert' when challenged why the dampers need replacing on a 3 year old car, suggested the bumps (& pot holed roads) were to blame. And no, I don't drive like Hamilton or Button over them, neither do I overload my car.

Re the 'ONLY' bit, no they aren't and often don't work. Large vehicles, if the 'hump' is in the middle of the road, large vehicles just pass over them, including 'white van man'. Central bumps are designed so that passengers on buses don't get thrown around. In a car one can anticipate a 'bump' as one can see it. Bus passengers can't. If they are 'whole road bumps', yes they slow most traffic, but again, if you don't care about speed, your vehicle, or have a large 4x4, they don't work either. They are also unpleasant for bus passengers and those in ambulances. All 'humps' can be painful for 'back sufferers' in whatever size vehicle. My suggestion was as an 'alternative' not saying that it will work, but usually a large bollard or island in a road, tends to stop most errant vehicles. They do however also cause problems for legitimate large vehicles including buses and delivery vehicles.

Offline PS

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2009, 12:00:11 pm »
Ferdie,

I would rather have "bumps" in the road that prevent speed of vehicles going to excess, than risk the life of an individual because of ineffective zebra crossings. Zebra Crossings look good on "picture postcard" scenery - the lollipop man, children skipping over the Zebra Crossing, the old dear with her shopping bag etc. But the reality is different as we all know.

Bumps are a reality in our lives today. Cross over them with respect, and you [or your back] and the car should have no problems.

A liitle side of me suggests, Ferdie, that perhaps you drive over the bumps a tad too fast - hence the suspension problems et al.

Tags: